translate

Wednesday 1 March 2017

THE DOXFORD FILE BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good day Bloggets. I have missed you, but when I tell you what I have to say, you will understand why I didn’t tell you where I have been or where I was going… Such a secret I have had to keep… Are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin!

You know of our besties Trix and the Like man? Well, some weeks ago, Like, text me and asked if I would like with the Hubster to have a break away for a surprise for Trix, as it was coming up to her 50th! I spoke to my Husband and we agreed that would be lovely.

Like asked if I could call the place we wanted to go and sort things out as it was difficult for him with Trix being there and when she wasn’t, he was at work. The place I’m talking about was where my husband and I went on our honeymoon. A wonderful Spa retreat called Doxford Hall. It’s deep in the beautiful Northumberland. Where I come from. A place of pure air, fresh delicious drinking water, not only drinking, but bathing. Your skin and hair feels great. homely people, stunning white sands with the sea at your side and green hills, forests and woods. It’s heavenly, a place you can forget the rest of the world. Like how it was so many years before greed and overpopulation.

Doxford Hall is set within a manicured estate. The wildlife is incredible. Birds of prey, owls and beautiful fox and deer can be seen as you wonder around the area. a spa where you can get treatments, there is a swimming pool, Steam rooms, sauna and spa baths, as well as a cocktail bar, Day room, Library and the stunning luxurious Georgian room which looks over the gardens with its open fire, where you will be treat to afternoon tea or just a cup of tea with a very tasty freshly baked biscuit which leads me onto the food in the desirable restaurant with its high standard cuisine where by the chef and team have been awarded AA rosettes for dining excellence. More on that later.

So, I booked a cottage in the grounds rather than the hotel because at first I was told that the hotel was fully booked, then on reflection, I thought it would be better if we were in our own house, as we would have our two guide dogs. Also, if we were in different hotel bedrooms, getting to one another would be more of a challenge.

Well, after booking the cottage I booked breakfast and evening meals in the restaurant and then onto the taxi, to find a car that was big enough to carry the four of us, luggage and two dogs? I phoned a couple of companies and got the best quote. Also, I liked the sound of the person I was talking to. The train station we were to get off at, is a small station, so I didn’t know if there would be any staff on that day, so I asked if the driver wouldn’t mind watching out for us? No trouble at all. The company if you are heading off there were the friendliest company I have come across. And their prices are Okay. They are called Sovereign Taxi’s Alnwick phone 01665 602200 or follow on Twitter #ne662

Then trying to link our train seats so we are sitting at least in the same carriage as our friends? Texting Like and giving him details without Trix finding out, everything was in code. Secret calls as our friend was heading to work we joked we were like lovers. Hahaha. The worst part was not writing about it all and moreover, seeing our friend Trix and not putting my foot in it?

It was her birthday and she text me to tell me what Like had done for her. He had arranged a weekend at Doxford Hall… Oh, I said, you lucky person, Hub and I have been there and it’s the best place. Well, my nose grew, I hated telling lies. I even made out in one of my blogs that our friend from London was coming this weekend. Well she’s coming in a couple of weeks, so a slight exaggeration…

Hub said that Trix must have her suspicions? Well we were about to find out.

The big day arrived. Friday. We headed for the train station, suitcase and rucksack full of clothes for the evening and dog food. In Hubs rucksack bless him, was a huge bottle of Prosecco and a bottle of wine as well as a couple of bottles of juice and milk for our cups of tea and coffee as well as tea bags and biscuits, crisps, nuts and a few other things like pretzels. Dog food, their dish and in general dog things like their treats. I didn’t know what the cottage would offer and I knew we would have food in the restaurant, but during the day and when we got back to the house after our evening meal, I wanted to make it all homely with a cupper or cold drink.

So, our train pulled away from the station and we headed to where our friends live. Well, not quite where they live, as our trains don’t pull up to the houses, haha, but to their town. My heart was pounding. I told Hub not to talk until I spoke with a put on voice. Hub and I have been many times to their house and we worried in case the person helping our friends to find their seats would recognise us? I heard the person telling our friends to watch the step? Then where would they sit? Would it be near us or seats away? Perfect, it was just opposite to us. The lady then, almost spoiled everything by saying, they had two lovely dogs next to them. Oh no. She would now guess it was us after all? But no. Our friend still was oblivious. The train doors closed, I asked my friend in the most stupid voice if she was alright? Seriously, we were in first class and it was quiet. Everyone heard me sounding like the local lunatic. Some would say I didn’t need to act well? Cheeky…

No, she just did a little polite laugh. Then Hub spoke. Saying fancy meeting you here? She gasped. Then I spoke in my normal voice. She was shocked. I hope delighted? Haha. Like made me laugh as he told us he also brought a bottle of wine and he even brought four plastic glasses. Hahahahahaa. Stuff the toilet rolls, milk the tea bags and the bottle opener that we all forgot, he had the glasses, I laughed saying we were going in a cottage that was self-catering, so hopefully, they will have glasses?

At this point let me tell those of you who are new Bloggets, all four of us are totally blind.
Well before our friends got on, we had our breakfast. Hub had a full English, I am a vegetarian, so I was offered. Wait for it? A blooming dish of the worst porridge I have ever had in my life. It was like wall paper paste.

The funny thing was, the guy taking our orders, didn’t know we were blind, so he came in our carriage and said the words any one for breakfast? Well I nodded. He saw me nod, he un be known to me, was standing there, right next to us waiting for me to talk. I said to Hub, oh, charming, he has gone right past? Well, he hadn’t he heard everything, but seriously, there is more Fifi moments to come.

He said he didn’t know we were blind and apologised to us, I kind of thought the two guide dogs would have been a bit of a clue? Do you think he should have been put on the list for one? A guide dog that is, not a bacon butty…

So, we arrived the taxi driver Kerrie was there waiting bless her. Oh, what a friendly lady, so lovely. Nothing was a bother. A twenty five minute journey there, we were in a car, not having a clue what was out of our window, for those who can see, can you imagine that? Just moving but nothing is seen from your eyes. It can make the journey longer. But with Kerrie’s humour mixing with ours, it was fun and exciting.

Oh, this was going to be a fantastic weekend. The cottage would be perfect. Food? Hmm. Or would it?

As the taxi weaved through the grounds of Doxford Hall, a inner smile came across my face an yet with anticipation to whether or not our friends would enjoy themselves as much as we do when we go.

Kerrie the taxi driver was amazing along with the Concierge Lee. We were taking to the Georgian room after a couple of signatures at reception with the really welcoming member of staff. That is the best thig about this hotel, the staff are really so wonderful. Not fussy but the most helpful I have ever come across anywhere and as you know, I have been all around the world and stayed in hundreds of hotels. The staff at Doxford Hall are as if your own soul, they seem to know your needs and requirements and deliver a service in such a professional an yet friendly way.

We were served tea, coffee and freshly made biscuits by the adorable Joanne. Gosh I could feel myself unwinding already. There were some people in the room just reading the newspapers, some ordering afternoon tea which is served on a cake stand with sandwiches, scones and cakes. Oh, I was excited. What would our cottage be like? I know the hotel rooms are lovely, they are all named after Castles in the area as there are many and famous local people too. If you ever go to this area, a couple of places that are a must to visit are the stunning Alnwick water gardens which grounds host the castle where by Harry Potter was filmed, and the beautiful water gardens are fantastic along with the poison garden that you will be intrigued by. Try your skills on the wobbly rope bridges and avoid the squirting water from the lion’s mouth. If your bank balance is comfortable why not visit the Treehouse café? All in one huge bit of land. The other place I would recommend is Barter books, if you go to admire the architecture, or have a tea or coffee next to the roaring fire. Barter books is known to be the British Library of second hand books and was the towns old railway station. The last time I was there, there was a model train that ran around the walls. There is something very special about the place.

I could write pages on what there is to do if you can see, or if you have a sighted guide, but we can’t and we didn’t. What we do have is friendship that is worth more than any tourist sights. So, our call to go to our cottage, oh, what will it be like? LF was great, guided Hub perfectly well through the grounds. Like and Trix used their white canes and me, haha, I had the trusty Waggatail…..
And Lee!

Gosh the air, is so clean. Please God never allow that to get built up and polluted? The birds sang us a welcome song as the geese flew over and the tall ancient trees bowed to say hello. Well, in my mind’s eye they did. They may have been waving us goodbye? Smile.

At first I thought, heck, we will never find our way back to the hotel from here? Then there was our turn off. Down steps up them and across the lawn with its narrow path. A game of guess the key and in we went. It was very warm and cosy in there but far from small. On the left was the big bathroom, right into the kitchen and through to the dining room then to the bottom of the stairs which I was to learn would be very interesting and into the really comfortable lounge. Priorities first, how to work the TV? Lee showed me and the remote was placed on an unusual small table near the vast sofas. Lee left assuring us he would come for us for dinner. How very kind, bless him. I didn’t scare him by asking him to show me the fire, I wanted to take matches but Hub was against it… Why? Chicken… Like made us laugh as he went back to boy scout days rubbing two stones together to try to create a spark for the fire. Oh, Little Fella of Hubs dog had to steal the show by proudly bringing Hub something. Already he was on a mission to see what he could blooming put in his mouth. It was a log from the fire. The little monkey. Wags was a little unsure of the place and was quite clingy. Now to let our dogs do their business? Easy, right? They had a long train journey along with two longish taxi journeys. Well LF was great, he did his doggy doodles on the leash. So, Hub knew where to clean up. Waggatail? Oh no, life could not be that easy. No way she was going to do anything whilst on her lead. So, I brought her in, she grumbled crying obviously needed to go to the toilet. Nothing, tried and tried again. I presumed because whenever I have taken her to our town, a place she hates, she freely does her business. But I never knew it was a thing they do or don’t, or are trained to do. Train, my Waggs? Haha, in another life time.

In the end to stop her being in pain or showing us up as we walked to the hotel, I had to do the inevitable. Let her off the lead. Oh, she didn’t want to move from my leg I had to throw my hands forward to tell her to go. She went. Where? Nightmare. I died with shame to think this huge garden there was Waggatail mess and no way we could find this. At home, they have a small run where they go and it’s easy to find because it’s a small enclosure, so with disposable gloves and bags we manage. Here? Sorry gardener. I really am…

Having dogs the next stage was to find a vacuum. Hmm. In a cupboard, there were all of the attachments, but no blooming machine. Well, just chill Fifi you are on your annual break. For two days in a year, it’s time to forget reality.

We all head off to investigate the cottage. Hub bless him found the kettle and made us all a cupper. Trix and I unpacked and we all laughed at what we had discovered in the house. We ate biscuits and crisps and just did what our besties and us both do best. Laughed as we joked and just were, well, you know, us.

The dogs were great, really well behaved. Just lay down. And then it was time to go to dinner. We decided to wait for Lee outside in the garden, just to soak up the air. Here the night time birds and sounds of silence.

He came to us but seem to come from a different direction to the steps. He had come in a way that had no steps so showed us where that was, now, would we remember it?

Laura, Joanne and the rest of the staff in the restaurant were brilliant, they read the menu to us, not even did they need to wait for us to ask them to do so. You may think it would be obvious to people? No, most times we go for a meal, if it’s just Hub and myself, though the staff know we are blind, they even hand us a menu. So again, we felt normal. As normal goes. There was no awkwardness. The staff were stunning. Everything they brought to the table they let us know what it was and where it was. They even served the large dishes for us. Our dogs lay under the table so still and we just had the most amazing food.

We did joke beforehand saying because I’m a vegetarian, it would be blooming horrible goats cheese something, and goats cheese something it was. Oh, I hate goat’s chees. But again, they accommodated for me. I always say that my love and Like are so alike, and the meals proved they were. They ordered the same dishes.

We ate three courses but there was a plate brought to us all with three little tasters on. And we drank good old tap water, we bathed in it taking advantage of the pure water of Northumberland.

The girl on reception kindly took us to our cottage, forgive me if I have her name wrong, but I think she was called Clair? I know the other girl is Hannah. She had to use a torch. Hahaha. LF could see though and guided Hub of course in front of us. He took Hub to the stair way though, bless him, he was right, it was us who wanted to change things by going through the door way so there were no steps.

We thanked the girl and off she went, bless her it could be a bit spooky through the trees in the pitch black. I hoped she was OK?

We went to bed about midnight. We opened the window and slept with the night owls singing us a lullaby.

Next morning up ready for our huuuuuuuge
Breakfast. Not until we had a shower though, heck, that took some doing, but I found out how to work it in the end. Shock hung over us as we realised that we thought the bathroom window was not frosted. Haha. Well down went the blind, but not sure if we managed to shock anyone in the meanwhile. Any bird watchers out that day may have seen more than they hoped for.

Oh, breakfast was my favourite meal and the vegetarian sausages were the best. Mushrooms, fried bread, baked beans, eggs and the others had bacon with their meat sausages. But then there was fruit salad and toasts and hub had four, yes four huge croissants. He said they were the best. We had loads of tea and coffee and just drank in the atmosphere of the house which has the most beautiful feel about it. It’s five star but it’s homely and I don’t know how they manage to get that affect. Long may it last.

We had a great day, playing board games. Hahahaha. Oh, what a story that is… But may be for another blog? I’m still cringing with shame about it. But as I promised a real Fifi moment occurred. As we were leaving the hotel reception at one point, I kept asking if the other three were OK as I was guided by Lee bless him, they followed well there were chairs and things in the way but the others did so well. As long as they heard my voice…. Stop it?
I just said every couple of minutes “Alright guys?””
Well regular Bloggets will remember that I have written before when blind people go anywhere, we are an attraction. People stop what they are doing and stare. Well, as we passed through the quiet empty day room. I turned to my left and said the words alright guys.
To my horror, a rather large gathering of people replied. Fine, yes, we are just admiring your dogs. Hahahahahaa. Oh gosh, no. Get me out of there? They thought I was talking to them. Oh no, this wasn’t the place you would say guys? I mean, how do you do perhaps? Nonononononononoooooooooo.
Red faced Fi. How did I know they were gawping? Hahaha. Of course, the others thought that was so funny.
And I didn’t stop to chat to the people and explain I wasn’t talking to them.
Now that is enough shame without telling you about the board game story. So onwards and upwards.

The little table in the lounge of our cottage had four sides to lift up with handles carved into the sides. As I lifted them to create a box, it was clever Like who said it was a card table.

Sadly, our last day, Hub and I emptied the bins in the house and cleaned the work tops and Hub did impressions of a heart monitor as the beep beeping of the dishwasher could be heard. Like asked him if he knew what he was doing? Answer no. But hey, we heard water start to fill so was good, right? Em. Well the water kept coming and coming and oh boy. What happened next? I don’t know as we had to leave the lovely cottage with four cups and four glasses in the dishwasher.

Lee the day before showed us where the bins were. Hmm. Nice, but we forgot where he said? Hahaha. So, we had to leave the rubbish in a bag near the back door. At least we tried our best. We skipped breakfast on our last day and did Sunday dinner instead. Gosh, the Yorkshire puddings were incredible. They were the size of plant pots. Kerrie picked us up and off to the station we headed. The train journey was sad but we will see each other again very soon and I hope we will do Doxford Hall again together.


http://www.yournorthumberland.co.uk/area-guides/alnwick/alnwick-s-attractions















No comments: