translate

Tuesday 18 March 2014

WELCOME TO OUR LAND BY FIONA CUMMINGS


WELCOME TO OUR LAND

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Open my eyes

Still don’t see

What a surprise

How can this be

I pray for a cure

To all that is pure

But no one hears

They don’t see my tears

They can’t feel my pain

My loss is that their gain?

Is this all some kind of cruel game?

We are the pawns

Others are roses and you and I the thorns

Is it something I did in a past life?

Did I murder with the blade of a knife?

Then will I ever be forgiven?

Let me start living?

How many times can I say

I’m sorry

I have no words left to pray

This is misery

OK, I don’t wear chains

But I feel the pains

When I wish to leave my four walls

I hear the calls

From the unknown sounds

Always having to hear

Nothing is crystal clear

Shaking inside

It’s not an easy ride

No one by my side

I fail on my outing

But no one can say I haven’t tried?

Inside I’m shouting

Angry with the world

Other blind people seem to walk on paths of gold

They read letters with words so bold

A smile is on their face

Their pain is without a trace

But are they just better than me

Can they hide the pain of not being able to see?

Or perhaps it doesn’t hurt them

Doctors say there will be a cure

I look at them with a distant look and say when?

Their answers, within years of ten

Hang on; is there an echo in the room?

I recall that been said to me before

Then get to ten years and hit the floor

As we start counting again

Those were the days when I used paper and a pen

Then had to constantly wear glasses

After that came classes

How to be a super blind

To touch the time

To learn to see with our ears

But who is there to catch our tears

To pick us up when we fall

Will you be there when I call?

To lend a helping hand?

Will you truly understand?

Welcome to our land

A place of uncertainty

Such diversity

One day we cope

Next looking for that ever so strong rope

I want to run free

But can’t on my own

As I can’t see

I don’t want to sit all alone

I need to see my child’s face

To feel safe

To see a flower

To be the one with power

To be able to shelter in my car during a shower

To see the beauty of a snowdrop

A butterfly’s wings

To admire like other ladies

The rings

My makeup and hair

To never have fear of the stairs

To read my birthday card

And check out sell by dates

Does this sound too hard?

For a cure I simply can’t wait

I just hope it doesn’t come too late

 

No comments: