translate

Tuesday 25 March 2014

FROM A VERY PROUD WIFE


 Good day Bloggets. Today it’s wet dull and cool, but in my heart it’s not too cloudy.

Hub and I were up at ridiculous time to see him off for his last day at his present job. Armed with a very heavy suit case with all of his equipment in to take back to his main office in Peterborough.

I must say it was rather odd but this whole year so far has been rather strange. From the 8th of January, when I wrote about feeling really peaceful and not sad for the first time on the anniversary of my Mums death, to now. I knew then something major was going to happen I also knew we couldn’t go on in the way we were. Well, I, couldn’t for sure.

My Husband took the leap of life and decided to leave his position as Head of International development at the RNIB UK.

Crazy? Only time will tell. Closing down all of his lines at work has been really difficult for him and I cannot believe how hard it has hit me too! This is mad, right? As his job meant he was never home for most of the weekends. As for days and nights through the week, off to South Africa, Germany, Japan Norway, France, America, Canada, and India and so on. Some people would say this was great? No. Let me tell you, as a blind person, not so great, yes he has fond memories of the elephant park in SA, but this was rare. His typical journey of late has been getting up at about five in the morning. Taxi to the train station. After a three hour train, the London tube for an hour. Then the dreaded airport. Heathrow is the worst as a blind person to travel into and out of.

Sometimes in transit for up to 13 hours. After waiting at the airport for at least another two hours and then taxi at the other end.

Straight to his hotel for meetings after meetings from breakfast meetings to evening meals. There is no time to relax, as when I travelled with my Husband to Oslo, though the evening meal was not always a meeting, he was bombarded with question after question. You could never relax. Always on your guard.

It could be eleven in the evening by the time he would be back to his room. He could quite easily go to a country and never see the outside if the meetings were in a hotel where he was staying, then back to the airport to begin the journey home again only to be home enough time to change shirts, plugs itinerary’s and pack again to be off the next day.

Sometimes he travelled on his own and I was ill with stress about where he was, was he safe and so on.

Sometimes because of time difference, he would be getting up when I was going to bed or worse, I would be going to bed when it was lunch time where he was, so I couldn’t sleep. 

His nerves were shot too as to travel blind was a nightmare.

But I saw him at work I witnessed the passion and pride he held with his job.

He worked hard to get there too. After studying hard at a privileged school, going onto University in the days before equal rights and accessibility was on the cards too and having to find his way around an enormous campus at University without any help from his family or authorities, he beat the system and did it. Graduating from University with 3 degrees and the highest qualifications in business.

I could write forever what he has achieved at his place of work for blind people. The list is never ending, but I won’t exhaust you with facts and figures.

The only two facts is now, one, I am extremely honoured to not only know my Husband as the hero he is but to wear his wedding ring and two, after worrying ourselves sick about our financial status we have landed ourselves in over this move from his job, I can tell you he was offered a management job today.

After filling in CV’s, application form after application forms, he has been for two very difficult interviews and from 74, to 6 and then he was selected for his second interview down to four then one.

We are both in total shock.

This roll is half of what he was earning before and there will be challenges as there is for a blind person in any job, but I know he will turn around where he will be working and make it the amazing success just as he did where he has been working for the past twenty two years.

So today he leaves the good old RNIB and providing everything fits in place, he will start his new job in a month.

With love from a very proud wife.

X

No comments: