translate

Saturday 24 January 2015

A BLIND VIEW OF OUR TOWN


Good day Bloggets. The sun is shining, I’m sitting exhausted on my sofa and the leather is so warm, with the sun from the window.

 

Firstly, last night we went for a meal with our neighbours and friends. It was lovely. There were 21 of us. Thankfully we sat on the table with our friends so we were fine for talking. When it’s noisy, it’s so difficult to communicate when you can’t see. We had lovely food; I didn’t touch a drop of alcohol. No way, it’s not worth the pain. Even one drink now days I’m ill.

 Our table had our friends who originate from Sunderland, so as northeast as we could hope for. So just like being at home again, I know fellow Geordies, those from my hometown of Newcastle, will curse me for saying that, as there is rivalry between us and so called them! The people from Sunderland, but to be honest, I think all that is pathetic, and to me we are the same.

 

Our friends Dad was there too he still lives in Sunderland, and he sounded so much like a Geordie, his accent was just like mine.

 

Then we were with our friends Martyn and Chloe, so a good night. Afterwards we went back to our friend’s house, the birthday man. That was where we went at New Year. Well, I was asked if I wanted a drink… I said an amaretto, as I knew you get that in a tiny shot glass. Well, until you go to our friend. Then there is no such thing as small shot glass.

Oh God today my head?

And I only had one glass, but it was huu’uuge

 

We got in about one. Then I remembered there was chicken soup to be made. Haha haha. That didn’t go down too well with Hub.

 

Today, we went to town; I am shattered before I get on the bus. The thought of that outing. Oh the fear and feelings I get. I think it is a miracle that we do it. I couldn’t on my own; I don’t or can’t comprehend my friends who do.

 

The bus came straight away.

Got to town, there were so many people. Why? It’s blooming January, has no one told them they should have no money left after Christmas? Unless they are taking back their unwanted gifts? Hehehehehe.

 

We went to the bank, had loads to do there. Paying tax for one. Not a pleasant job. That went well. No troubles, then we needed the key cutting shop for a spare garage key, as teen has misplaced his keys…

 

But we went past it. Normally in the summer, we can hear the sounds of the grinding from the machines there, but winter? Cold? So we walked past and LC turned to go into a familiar door. It was the nut centre. Well, we didn’t need nuts, so came out of there, and I said to Hub, we need to turn left outside the door, as the nut centre, is the last door we know where anything is. So the next stop LC made was our other frequented shop. Super drug. Well, we needed some things from there, so Hub went in and I waited outside for them to do what was necessary.

 

I love to people watch… So the sounds were wonderful. A picture I painted in my mind’s eye.

 

Sounds of a man playing the guitar and singing, exactly like the person who sang that song originally. Then a group of singers in the far distance. Oh I could hear the harmonising, it was amazing. They too had instruments.

 

The sounds of the different accents in our town for the day and travellers with their suitcases on wheels passed by, looking for their hotels.

 

A man was trying to swap money with his daughter, something that had been bought and he was trying to give money to her I presumed a gift for her daughter, his granddaughter. So they had words as he wanted to give her money, but asked her for change. I smiled.

 

Then a little girl passed by, now then she sounded so sweet. I thought of my great nieces. How I wished I could take their hands and shop with them. It brings a tear to my eye to think of missed chances because of circumstances and stupid blind eyes. But I pray, I will be allowed to participate in other parts of their lives. As so much I want my great Nieces to know me as a child as their Mums did.

 

This little girl in my imagination wore a long wool coat, dark green. With velvet leaves on her collar. The leaves were in black and she wore a black velvet beret to one side and had long golden ringlets hanging down her shoulders. Now, she may have been in jeans and a jumper, with short black hair, but not in my mind.

 

Tired footsteps walked by and as I stepped backwards into a man’s heavy feeling boots, I apologised, then when they didn’t move, I wondered if it was a tree? Hehehe, no, Fiona, not next to a wall? So what was it? A plant pot? A shop sign? Goodness knows, but I said sorry to it.

 

I’m known to be polite to posts, signs, guttering and so on…

 

The smells were so interesting. Super drug had strawberry perfumes and the nut centre had herbs as it sells all kinds of dried foods too. There was a man with a cigar yack. And different fragrances of hair and body products from ladies walking by. A person, not sure man or woman, with a leather coat on and I could smell the pastry shop. Hmm bakery, yes please, our next port of call.

 

Hub came out at the right door, luckily, as there are at least two and the other one is at the other side of the street.

We went to the bakery that is easy, the doors are always open. Hub made me do that on my own, he waited for me outside with LC, so in I went with my faithful Michael Cane and managed to find the back of the queue. It took a while, as didn’t want to queue hop, but I did it, then waited my turn, the girl asked me what I wanted, handed over the money then found my way out without removing anything from the shelves.

So, on our way, we eventually found our key cutting shop with LC’s brilliant knowledge. In we went and standing there, we hear

“Can I help you?”

Well, is he talking to us? We wait, and then when no one answers, we know it’s us. So out came the key, then the watch strap Hub wanted fixing and the battery that no jeweler will touch, afraid of Braille watches. Then he got his Christmas Timepiece altered and on our way, but in that shop, people were getting passport photos taken and getting their shoes fixed too. So a shop of all sorts.

 

Out of there and on our way to our hairdressers. Oh I love going there, it was for hub today and our James was as lovely as ever. I had a coffee and biscuit and chilled, time to reflect on how well we did. Two people without sight, amazing, I can’t believe how good my Husband and our Long Chops of a guide dog is.

 

Back home, and chilling now, great TV tonight, The Voice, and a program we love. A nice comfort tea and a quiet night. Teen at a party and back after work tomorrow. He called. He was so loving on the phone, I love that boy, our friends came for us last night, and he was talking to them at the door. He is so charming and polite. My friend loves him; she tells me how much he looks like me and wishes she was thirty years younger. Haha haha.

 

I know I go on, but I still am in shock that we do what we do without sight. How? I will never know. Without our guide dog, impossible. Me with my stick/white cane. I am hopeless with it, if I’m not clipping someone’s ankles; I’m tripping them up or getting it stuck down a drain. Hehehe. But I don’t fall and I get from A, to B. Sometimes via C, but never mind.

 

Enjoy your weekend Bloggets and I will be back soon.

 

 

 

 

No comments: