translate

Wednesday 2 November 2016

DIARY OF THE CLUE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Well it is my time now. I have eaten well a sandwich as always, and a hot cheese scone. Two cups of tea and I’m ready to write.

 

The sun is shining through my office window, I’m inhere as don’t feel too bad about leaving the wagging one downstairs as she has been out today with me so should be tired, as well as I played with her and her toys when she returned, so the guilt has been lifted about staying with her, also I had a lot of thinking work to do today. A couple of things that needed writing that was far from my every day brain and thoughts, smile. So, needed to have a space where I wasn’t being given a soggy Teddy bear, or an indestructible toy!

 

Dinner is made prepared anyway. I have made my favourite recipe that I haven’t had for ages, because I couldn’t get the jar I needed. Oh, yes, it’s totally cordon bleu cooking going on in the Fifi Blogget kitchen! Do you know where that expression comes from? I’m sure you know it’s French? I think it means blue ribbon. I also believe it’s from the 18th century.

 

Well, what I do is semi boil potatoes lots of them sliced not too thinly, along with one sweet potato, a couple of carrots, a couple of onions go in just as the veg are coming to the boil. I turn the cooker hob off… (IF I BLOOMING CAN) as you know me and my flat hob without knobs? Drain after a minute then pour veg into a large tray with deep edges as there should be layers of veg, so a high tray is needed, the potatoes turn out much nicer if they have a tiny bit of crisp to the edges, hence the wide tray. If it was narrow, only the top would be crisp.  Then I chop one tomato and mix it slightly, add some butter, salt and lots of black pepper then the jar goes over the top. It’s called potato bake the jar that is. And it’s really not easy to find. It was Tesco I got mine from it’s kind of a rich creamy slightly tomato based thick sauce, now it used to be delicious, but the other day I opened as a cheat meal some macaroni cheese. The good make and it was disgusting. I think it’s called Croft. Now that make of cheese macaroni was the best the only one I could eat after trying others. Well, after the other day, I will never buy that brand again of macaroni. If I want a cheat meal in the future, for convenience, it won’t be cheese macaroni.

 

I have a huge pot full of poor chicken parts. Chicken breasts I have just cooked, or going to cook half a dozen and some will do for today and some for tomorrow. I did wonder if Shamrock would be coming for dinner tonight but Teen said she is out with her friend for dinner. So, whatever chicken is left over, Teen can eat tomorrow.

 

We decorated this office forever ago, I think it was about a year ago? And you can still smell the new carpet and the wood furniture. I love the smell of this room.

 

Hub has taken two days off work this week, starting from tomorrow. He is exhausted after being at work and not well too.

 

We left a message on Hubs Dads phone the other week but our brother told us he was in Scotland. He hasn’t called back, so I guess he is still there?

 

It’s funny you know; I can’t imagine not telling our Son in the future if I was going away for a few days? I guess it stems from how close I was to my parents. I know my ex’s parents used to go off places and never told us. I was shocked at that, but maybe it’s me who is different? I’m just glad my brother in law told us where he was or I would be worried sick now. I said to Hub we should ask his Dad here for Christmas. I don’t like the idea of him on his own, especially this year as his closest Son is now living in Australia, so the first Christmas without anyone.

 

I hate to think of people on their own at Christmas. And as Hub and I always say, they are on their own all year through, but at Christmas it just seems so very sad. Our church kindly do a lovely Christmas dinner for those who live on their own, but I wish it was every month, rather than once a year? I have told you before one of the guys who kindly gives his time up to bring them to the church, said that one lady said the last time she was out of her house was the year before Christmas meal. This is heart breaking and I get loads of messages from people old and young who say the only contact they have with a real person is through my blogs. Oh, it upsets me and I wish I had a magic pill to take to give me power to help people who are suffering from loneliness.

 

One thing is good my Father in law isn’t alone, he has lots of pals at the club/pubs he goes to and he runs a garden shop, so meets people that way.

 

Oh, a very odd thing happened to me today. I was sitting minding my own business in the waiting room when a cheerful man came up to me, tapped me on the shoulder and asked how I was doing?

 

Well, he was over friendly, so I must know him? He did sound like my friend Alex, but I wasn’t going there again, where I have been so many times before, mistaken identity…. So, I remained calm and politely told him I was fine. Funny how we lie about how we are? Imagine if I started to tell him all my wo’s?

 

Of course, I asked how he was?  As we got talking, I learned that he was also blind in one eye. So, as he said. He knows how I feel? Hahahaha. Really? Give me a good eye any day please? Even half of a good eye would suit me well!

 

Then he asked a question, to just confirm I didn’t know him from Adam.

 “Does he work well for you then?”” His voice was looking down, so I guessed he was talking about Waggatail, my guide dog.

“Yes, she, does.””

Another white lie. Haha. Well bless her, she was 6 out of 10 today, so half the truth.

I did wonder how he didn’t know she was a she? After all, she wasn’t sporting a boy thing…. and my little girl looks so girly. She is too cute for words.

 

He was so full of life. He really was familiar as if he knew me. Then thankfully the vampire came to my rescue to take bottles of blood. Bless him, he sounded so sad I was going. I personally think on reflection; he was a little coocoo.

 

Oh, heck, why me/? Oh, my…. I have just put two and two together. Okay, Bloggets, this is the situation. Oh my. How could I have fallen for this story? Here we go. See if you clever Bloggets can sus this one out?

 

Me. Oh how did you lose the sight in your eye?” (I always ask questions perhaps I shouldn’t, and it was out before I could think)

Happy man.

“Me? Oh, em. Well.” (as he continued, and here is the clue, in his rather middle aged voice, and the way he came over to me, he was very energetic.”

“It was in the war. One of the other soldiers….” (Now wait for this? Why I didn’t click/? So, did the other soldier shoot him? Was he caught in a land mine? And when did this happen? Just a few clues to watch out for. A few clues that has just dawned on me now.)

“Was flinging a bottle of pop” (i.e. fizzy soda.)

 “And it hit me in the eye. It was awful in the FIRST WORLD WAR””

I’m sorry but no way that man was in the first world war? May be his Dad, and his Dad would have to be a lot older than this man today, as he sounded no older than fifty. So, was I approached by the village nutter? Or was he just a very friendly man who lived in a world of make belief? I didn’t like the way in which he got really close to me when he sat down either… I was pleased to see the nurse. Only for a few seconds though…. Oh my, guess where she put my needle?

 It was a blood test Bloggets… Normally it goes in the middle bend of your arm, right? Oh no, not this one, she as always couldn’t find a vein so put it in the side of my arm next to my elbow. I could have been sick. She told me she loved taking blood. Say what? Very odd. But, she was really clever and very kind. It was the first time I have seen this one, gosh, some of them….. Well.. I’m not quite sure how they passed any exams. The last one told me how drunk she was the night before and how she had to remove her shoes to get home and how she sang all the way then fell in the house and can’t remember anything else until it was time to get up for work.

For my needle.

They are always sweet though. Shamrock wants to be a nurse one day, she will be a good one as to do the job she is doing now, she really must have a kind heart.

 

OK my ironing board is calling. Have you ever heard that sound Bloggets?

It’s not a good sound. Believe me. So until later with love. X

 

 

No comments: