translate

Monday 14 November 2016

A COLLECTION OF MY CHOCOLATE POEMS FOR CHILDREN AND YOUNG AT HEART BY FIONA CUMMINGS



BY Fiona Cummings

 

For a while it remained a mystery

Whatever could that delightful smell be

I found out it came from the nearby factory

Which made chocolate dreams come true

To all children like me and you

I imagined little elves worked in there

And one naughty one in particular

Opened the window

 Allowing the aroma to escape in the air

He was the mischievous naughty Norman

Who has the job title of Forman

The other elves don’t get on with him

 Too well

 Especially whom they call Noddy

 With the biggest silver bell

When it is break time Noddy shakes his hat

His bell rings so hard it wakes the factory cat

Who sleeps in an outside shed

And has a fresh daily  dish of chocolate milk

 And the most comfortable cosy bed

A log table with a cloth of silk

Is ready so  the elves can be fed

With little toadstools to sit on

And be given dishes by the cook Alvin

Caramel cups

And strawberry spoons

Chocolate fountains

And bubble gum balloons

Every day there is a birthday party

Because there are so many elves at the factory

Each one having their celebration

Sounds of laughter and jubilation

Leaking from the walls

Everyone wants to visit there

 But we are told not at all

As it is a secret haven

A chocolate heaven

  When I open my back door

The smell in the air I adore

 

 

Copyright Fiona Cummings 2015

 

EASTER AND THE ELVES

BY

Fiona Cummings

Easter time is upon us

The elves are making such a fuss

Panicking getting everything ready in time

Making chocolate so delicious  so fine

 Noddy has rang his bell so much

Trying to keep the elves awake

All day and night they are making fudge

And wonderful chocolate cake

Naughty Norman the mischievous Forman

Have had words with the cook Elvin

He got caught tasting a chocolate bubble

So now  he is in deep dark trouble

Silicon moulds are all ready

For delicate hands so steady

That job is for the purple hatted Ellie

Who makes the nicest strawberry jelly

Mee ows can be heard out the back

From the beautiful ragdoll cat

Ellie hears this and hides a truffle

Under her purple hat

If she gets caught she too will be in trouble

But she absolutely loves that cat

Who else works at the factory

Oh yes there is Melanie

Who is known for her  Irish melodies

She is the sweetest elf who works there

With her velvet green hat and her carrot hair

She works alongside her Daddy

Lovingly known as Paddy

It’s his job to wash up the pots

And then there is Tixi

A silver haired pixie

Who has been there the longest

And says she is the strongest

All the others laugh

As she is so small she uses a coffee cup for a  bath

But she carries heavy trays

And pushes  machinery out of the way

When not  in use

If a jar lid is too tight

She is always the first to offer to make it loose

Then there is Carter

He is the new starter

His nose does twitch

And his taste buds they itch

So much they desire

The chocolate dust

The  Easter bunny for him is a must

Then there is Pam who’s  making the white chocolate lambs

Oh the smell from our nearby chocolate factory

Can be smelt from the extractor fans

Oh it’s on its way

I can’t wait for Easter  Monday

I shall look at my chocolate goodies

The chicks and the milky bunnies

And thank the Elves

For making delights so yummy

 

Copyright Fiona Cummings 2015

 

THE CHOCOLATE SHIFTS

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

 

Seven o clock in the morning

 And Noddy rings his bell

Alvin is seen yawning

 The nightshift  bids farewell

As the factory door opens

 Releasing the wonderful smell

The ragdoll cat can be seen running

Trying to get in

But he is told to scatter

And he jumps on the seconds, bin

Ellie and Tixi are having a natter

Ellie asks Ragdoll what’s the matter

As the cat licks his lips pleading

He is hungry and needs feeding

He paws at the bin

So Ellie opens the lid for him

“Quick you will get me in bother

Then the Nessie bus pulls over

And the nightshift start to gather

The day workers jump from the bus

Made from chocolate and seats of fudge

Huge waggon wheels

 A horn which the driver gives a nudge

  Off it goes on its milky way

Along the grass verge for another day

In the car park there are marshmallow mini’s

And candy floss smoke from rolo chimneys

Carter signs his name for Noddy

As he goes to wrap the caramel teddy

All clocked in now

Well all but naughty Norman

The very mischievous Forman

Who has not come by the time of the bell

As he missed the Nessie bus

Oh well

Looks like the  boss is Marj

The elves love her being in charge

As she lets them have more time for breaks

Eating chunky chocolate flakes

Sometimes she bakes

Chocolate tarts

And pinches Elli’s jelly hearts

 She makes the elves a cocoa bun

 And laughter is heard as they have fun

Then Norman signs  in for Noddy

And serious work has begun

Noddy tells Norman he is not happy with him being late again

And takes out his strawberry liquorice pen

Writes down a note telling Norm will be in trouble if it  happens again

Norm says to Noddy

Who do you think you are

I am the Forman and your boss

So get in your banana car

Then Norman takes a chocolate star

And replaces it with Noddy’s bell

Then picks him up by his pointy feet

And dips him in the sherbet wishing well

Telling him his sour face will now be sweet

Poor Noddy is then thrown out on a door mat

And sugar is licked off him by the ragdoll cat

But one  elf has seen this nasty act

And that is the elf Nancy

Who for Noddy she has a fancy

Without thinking she picks up a broom

And chases Norm around the room

He runs and hides behind the bubble gum balloon

As she tries to get him

And picks up a rolling pin

 Carter the new starter saves him

 Getting chocolate brownie points from the Forman

 All in a day at the factory

Where noddy in the end got victory

As he took the popsicle stick

Noddy tells the story

Of how well the stick did fit

So all in the end glory

From a factory that’s a chocolate hit

 

 


By Fiona Cummings

 

Oh the smell from the factory

Brings back a  memory

Of my Mums baking days

Where the kitchen was in a haze

Of chocolate cakes

With the wooden spoon

On the table in the corner of the room

in the dish looking so yummy

just begging to find its way to my tummy

so today I put on my shoes

and took a walk to see

a tiny elf waving at me

Hay who are you

I bent down beside him

He said HI, I’m Jim

and pleased to meet with you

 I told him I was Fee

He winked at me

His funny little face

With his turned up nose

His pink little hands

Holding a beautiful rose

This is for you

As he jumped on my shoe

Stretched right up

He was the height of a buttercup

As I kept kneeling down

On the cold stone ground

Looking around

Seeing nothing but clouds of brown

I couldn’t believe it

The rose smelt of chocolate

I took it in my fingertips

He told me to hold it to my lips

It was edible

I asked him was it a vegetable

He looked in shock

And said it was carved from a chocolate block

He was a funny little fella

Told me he had a girlfriend but I was not to tell her

Why ever not I said with a beam

Oh, he told me, she had eyes so green

Jealous? I asked him

Oh yes indeed

Did she work at the factory

Yes he said to me

And today is a special day

I’m asking her to marry me

Oh was that who the rose was for

He said yes but he had more

He had the cutest dimples

And strawberry curls

His trousers were  patterns of spots and swirls

His shoes were pointy and heels so high

He wore a yellow dickey bow tie

He asked me if I had ever met his best pal

 Who was the brother of his girlfriend Val

I said oh no

And told him he was the very first elf I had ever met

He then took out a walking stick the size of a candy cigarette

And started to head to the back of the factory

Come on he beckoned

Follow me

Oh was this going to be the end of the chocolate mystery

There was a tiny house

With a garden made from cornflakes

Sat on a toadstool

Was an elf called Jake

There  he is that is my mate

Then I was handed a white chocolate plate

Come on, sit down

Well, the mushroom was so flat to the ground

I just knelt beside the two little creatures

I looked at Jake with his buttoned features

He had cherry lips and cheeks like peaches

He shouted towards the house

Just then running across the path was a sugared mouse

The little door opened

A round cheerful face started speaking

I have not got a clue what she said but I think a nice greeting

Then there was an almighty fuss

Just then the horn went on the Nessie bus

Quick get inside the house

What? I thought,

It was the size for a mouse

 Then the most amazing thing happened

As I approached the door

I felt myself being drawn to the floor

I became the height I was when I was four

But it didn’t scare me

As I was welcomed into the chocolate family

Jim told me

Not to  be  seen

Or he will be given the treatment

Of the evil queen

Oh my word what is that

She dips you in a bowl of cream

Then feeds you to the factory cat

You see, he continued

We are not allowed to mix with folks like you

Then I asked “why did you?

He said you are not like your people

You are like us

You won’t hurt us lot

Or chase us away

Then I  listened  to what he had to say

Our factory is ran by the king and queen

We do our work and keep it clean

We are given our houses on   this village green

On one condition we are never seen

Those who have been

Are taken away

Never to return

Not yet to this day

Where do they go? I asked feeling low

A place so cold where there is forever snow

This is what we are told anyway

Then the round rosy lady

Came to me

Put on my plate

Beautiful shells you  would ever see

She then muttered some words to me

Jim explained what she had said to me

As it was a language I had never heard

He said the shells were collected by the milky seabird

How absurd

What on earth was that

Oh we have a pet family of a giraffe, bird and a cat

At that point I began to laugh

Why a giraffe

We are so small

And he is so tall

This can be handy

To our chocolate family

Then the door opened and in walked a tired looking young thing

Oh he was so excited my new friend  Jim

He knelt on one knee and produced a ring

Please darling Val, will you marry me

As she smiled teeth so white

And  hair so wild

 She said yes I will

Oh what a thrill

To witness such love

Then chocolate cups were filled with champagne

This was amazing

 Totally insane

Then Jake took out an old looking violin

And started to play a tune

For Val and Jim

Round rosy lady took my hand

Muttered some words that I could understand

She wanted me to dance with her

I did on a rug of pretend fur

 Bubble gum balloons were flying around

The most wonderful music

A beautiful sound

What a day

I didn’t want to come away

But then my alarm went off and I had to wake for the day

Was it a dream

Absolutely no way

Oh I can’t wait to go back one day

Chocolate in the air

The chocolate wedding day

By Fiona Cummings

Passing by the factory

It’s the day when two elves will marry

Val and Jim will cut their cake

The best man for sure is Jake

Bubble gum balloons hang from the trees

Oh let them be happy forever please

I stood behind the bus shelter peeping

As it was early dawn everyone was sleeping

All accept the chocolate people

Wow look at tiny Tixi getting out of the car

Her silver hair like a bright shining star

Nessie bus comes tooting along

Out jumps Melody singing a song

Alvin the cook carries a milk tray

Norman the Forman is wanting to play

Paddy warns him not today

Norm if you’re   going to be naughty   go away

Who is in the ice cream van

With a hat like a big marang

Oh yes I think she is called Pam

Hay look there is Marj. telling the guests where to go

By this point Ellie and  Carter are putting on a show

Oh they are so funny dancing about

Silly things need to behave or Marj will shout

A chocolate church with its  candy steeple

Under an archway of sugared roses

Where Noddy proudly  stands and poses

Nancy and Noddy steel a cherry kiss

Everyone is excited there is just one elf who is a miss

Oh look here she comes in a  white chocolate car

The windows rolo  down and I see a chocolate coin

 The groom looks like he is going to fall over, oh boing

 Poor strawberry haired Jim

Jake lends him his arm to steady him

Just then I couldn’t believe what I saw

A tall giraffe walked around as though   to explore

Looking up in the sky

I wondered why

Then the milky bar bird swooped down to the ground

A rag doll cat with a flying saucer hat

  Chased the sugared mouse in to the tiny house

How did I ever fit in there

I wish I could shrink again and this day I would share

Then a bang and flair

Next thing I was there

Right in the middle

Where Jake was playing a violin or was it a fiddle

Val walked  down the honey coated isle

Wearing lace and a milk bottle smile

She carried the smallest bouquet I have ever seen

Oh look over there I’m sure that is the king and Queen

My elf friends are in so much trouble if I am seen

Let me hide behind this jelly bean

How on  earth  is it possible to get this small

And how does the giraffe  stay so tall

Looking around I’m like a crumb on the  ground

I guess there is no need to hide as I look like the others

Oh in walk the elf children all the sisters and brothers

Singing a song in words I didn’t understand

I just felt so happy in this chocolate land

Toffee trumpets played in a band

I caught Jim’s eye and he winked at me

Then to my left was the rosy faced lady

She beamed at me so full of warmth

Like a hot chocolate drink on a winters night

I smiled at her in pure delight

Then I witnessed the most beautiful sight

A chocolate fountain of dark and white

The children’s choir stood holding a large tea cup

Chocolate flowed filling it up

Then carefully they carried it to the bride and groom

As the King announced of the couples honeymoon

Drink this gift

In a basket you will sit

And be carried away by a balloon

To a faraway place

Where you have never been

Let this be a present from me and my queen

It was just then that I realised I had been seen

Oh no

The snow

What shall I do

I jumped in an enormous  chocolate shoe

Then the rosy lady said boo

Pulling me out

Putting her finger to her lips

She looked like a spout

On a round china tea pot

Oh silly me I got it wrong

As Jake came over to me when we were all to sing a song

He explained the king and queen would soon be on an aeroplane

Then I was free to enjoy the day again

He told me I had not been noticed and it was a tradition

 That the  chocolate royalty gave  a gift of loyalty

A present of  passion

Whatever holiday was in fashion

Balloons were a hit in the factory

And this is what the couple wanted you see

Few thank Goodness no one got in trouble

Then a collection was given and the dish was full of truffles

I had nothing to give as was not expecting this

So Jake told me just to make a wish

I did that very moment

And sealed it with such sentiment

Then floated through a cloud of chocolate dust

Grabbing buttons as they were a must

 Looking down to the ground

The bells were a beautiful sound

Chocolate handles ringing away

Melting candles burnt that day

I glided over a golden carriage

What a dream what an amazing marriage

 

 

A CHOCOLATE BABY ELF BY FIONA CUMMINGS

The wind is so  wild

Chocolate blows in the sky

  Dying to know how Jim and Val were doing

Never expected to see them cooing

A baby elf on its way

One celebration follows another

After their wedding day

Oh Val is blooming

But  Norm is fuming

As he needs Val to work at the factory

Not to be in her mushroom house with baby

There is a chocolate promise from Ellie

Who will work extra shifts free of charge

Sorting out the new rotor is Marge

It’s all go at the palace of delight

Oh it is the most amazing sight

All of the colours of their tiny hats

Their not as big as the ragdoll cat

Ellie in purple and Paddy in green

Then of course there is the chocolate King and queen

I must not be seen

So will hide behind the wall

In the distance is the giraffe standing so tall

He is teasing a bird in the tree

Picking it from the leaf onto his nose

Then bending down to smell a rose

So flexible he looks

Then there is Noddy

Whom I heard is cooking the books

If the king and queen find out

Oh they will shout

And Noddy with bell will be replaced

That will  be a disgrace

 He is  shuffling a bit of money to pay for a gift

As Jim and Val’s babe, is the first born on this shift

Tixi the small silver haired  pixie

 Is lifting chopped wood

As a cradle will be made

Oh she is so good

She is working all day and carving all night

But if you could see it

Baby will sleep soundly tucked in all tight

As especially if a lullaby is sang by Melanie

What a lucky baby shall be born to this factory

 

 
 
 

No comments: