translate

Wednesday 15 April 2015

THE OLD FIREPLACE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


THE OLD FIREPLACE

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Amber flames are blazing

Shooting patterns are amazing

Ashes are crackling

 Reflections are sparkling

Shadows around the room

Bouncing light on what was gloom

 Causing a cosy feeling

Flickering towards the ceiling

I’m almost unable to hide my mirth

As the old grey stone hearth

Hosts the coal bucket and brushes

On the mantelpiece candles spread their light forth

As the heat gushes

This fireplace has seen all of my family

Open Christmas gifts and held secrets close to me

Flames dance to the melody

Of the sound of roaring

It’s so hypnotising

  Watching the exciting flickering   

Tunnels and waves

In this a small cave

The charred wood

Acts as a slave

The embers blushed against the coal as they should

Taking the bark to its grave

The draft coming from the old windowpanes

Fight with the furious flames

Sitting by my fireplace with a cup of coco  

Without a care

I was ready for bitter nights

I knew how to prepare

Outside there may be snow

But I’m reassured by the glow

The bruised night says goodbye

But the ancient fireplace says hello

 

 

Copyright Fiona Cummings 2015

No comments: