translate

Monday 15 September 2014

BLIND IN THE WORKPLACE


Good morning Bloggets. My Son just came through the door. He went to college, and couldn’t find his maths teacher… No one at reception could tell him where he should be. He went to the class where his “pink form” said he was to be and it was empty. So now he’s on the phone to the tutor who has apparently made loads of errors with timetables.

Will he go tomorrow? Watch this space. I called the college; I had to tell them the name of his tutor. I don’t know it; teen won’t say as he is all grown up and I have no part in his life… I do believe he went though and I know last year when something similar happened, I called college and sent emails and again, no one quite knew what was going on…

 

He said he had a good 24 hours in the capital. He had no money; all spent up, and so didn’t buy anything sad for him. But I am not a bottomless pit. He has spent £9000 in the past eighteen months… All gone now. Shame he saw some lovely things in the markets in London. He is so sweet and different; he saw blown glass and wanted it so much. His girlfriend bought a rather expensive handbag. They didn’t go for the meal last night; they had a sandwich from a van at the venue. He loved the concert, and as I said yesterday, the groups were great; we watched it on the TV. He told me he wasn’t met at the train station by his gf, I kind of knew that would happen, he went through London on the tube on his own, he’s great, nothing bothers him, I’m very proud of him, as Hub said yesterday, he will go far, he is capable, if he keeps his mind open.

 

I had a meeting this morning early that took about forty minutes, in the comfort of my house though, so loads of work to do today. I also received an email to ask if I can do some more teaching, must ponder on that… and have a guest room to clean properly for our girl coming on Saturday.

 

Oh, forgot to say, teens bike was OK thankfully as he just locked it up yesterday morning at half seven, and picked it up today at 9. So lucky.

 

It’s hard to imagine in six months my Son will be eighteen. God. Where has the years gone? Though he was one when my parents died and I remember that like it was about seven years ago.

 

What to do for his eighteenth? Not sure yet, something that will make him happy, any ideas?

 

Eighteen is funny, it used to be the age we were when we got the key of the door, but my boy has had one since he was fifteen and most kids now days much earlier. But we still can buy all the rubbish with keys on for their birthdays.

 

Our canary, Irish, is making a funny sound today, as though he is crying bless him. I wish I could talk Canary talk? And Irish as well. Will it go like this?

“Diddle ee diddley diddley doo!”

“Just give me fresh water and some broccoli will be nice too?”

(Translated by Bing”)

Hehehe.

 

Teen shouted downstairs, he left a message in his tutor’s office on answering machine, no one picked up the phone for his maths. So now he’s sending an email. Crazy.

 

Hub at work, he has a couple of budget meetings and so on today. He is the only blind manager in the whole of his place of work and that is all over England as there are offices north south east and west.

Thousands of staff too. It’s really difficult for a blind person to get a job. Hub has four degrees and not soft subjects either, but I’m proud of him as he has never been out of work. He has been a voice coach, piano teacher, editor of a magazine, English tutor in a University, Head of Braille, Head of International development for the RNIB, he has worked in parliament, head of various international organisations and has worked so hard in making enormous changes internationally for blind and partially sighted people all over the world and continues to do that in his new job. He has been head hunted to a much higher position, but he said he has been to the top, now he is happy he is home most nights and all weekends, he feels normal now. A pay cut we have taken, but we are together now. I sometimes feel bad, as he can do so much more than what he is doing now, but he says he can do without the pressure and he can get back to working with real people. He has turned his office around and his staff are really  working well with him. He is very proud of his team and I am proud of him.

 

I’m thinking about looking for an office job, rather than being a lady of leisure, ha ha, blooming ha? To do what though? Secretarial work? Counselling? I should go to University, but whenever I think of it, I go cold. I did look at some courses the other night, but then my age? I’m no spring chicken; my eggs have been well and truly laid.

 

I may start off volunteering. There are limitations of what V.I.P’s can do if they are intelligent with University degrees, still there are only certain jobs we can do, like teaching, office work, I know someone who works for Scotland Yard as one of the top people there, he is amazing. He went to school with my Hub. He speaks nine languages too. We have the people with brains; we just need the sighted to give us chance. If you think about it, if as a blind person we get a job with you, we spend a couple of days learning our way around and getting to know voices to put names to them, how your machinery works and what software you have we can use and so on, we are not going to leave your company after a few months, we are loyal.

 

OK, Teens loud music now blasting, thank God we live in a detached house? I am not sure how he will cope when he moves in with his gf and they have a flat with neighbours? Me thinks there may be some complaints, as he has been spoiled, he has never lived like that where you need to show respect for neighbours…

 

OK, later gators and again thank you for all your support. I received a lovely email today from a sweet Blogget and some messages too on groups I’m in. Apart from UK, Us, Japan, France Ukraine, Africa and many other countries today, I was shocked to see a record number of readers before nine this morning. I find it odd to see over 130 views so early in the day and another forty since the past hour, so will we go over 200 views today? Thank you anyway. Xxx

 

No comments: