translate

Sunday 8 June 2014

LITTLE BIRD BY FIONA CUMMINGS


LITTLE BIRD

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

 

I flew from the nest

Wanted to be faster than the rest

But I got lost

No excuse

No winds or frost

I just flew into the open window

Then I was so slow

I didn’t know where to go

Trapped inside

Opened my mouth I cried

My brother looked at me

From a cherry tree

He was helpless

I was hopeless

How did I get into here?

Surrounded by fear

No help was near

My tiny heart almost burst

Dying of thirst

I just wanted to be first

Out of the nest

Better than the rest

Impatient me

I wanted to feel free

Away from my shell they called home

Forests I so wanted to roam

Old collected twigs and dried out leaves

I used to peer out hearing my Mum say “Please

Wait your turn

And one day you will be top of that fern

Ruling the skies

Other birds will say

Look how he flies?

Take your time little bird

Look around

Ask what others have heard?

Listen to advice

When you get caught

There won’t be the word twice

Feast on some mice

But only when you have watched how to catch them

Patience little bird

Let me have a word

I am your Mum

I know I don’t let you have your kind of fun

But before you run

You must crawl

Right now you are so small

I just don’t want you to fall?

Watch your brothers

Look at others?

Clean your feathers

And prepare yourself

Sit on the shelf

Count to three

Then it will be your time to be free”

But I didn’t listen to my Mums advice

And sitting here afraid

I wonder if this is my twice?

How do I get out of here and get free?

My brother isn’t telling me

Then people surround me in this room I have found myself

Words are said oh such a fuss

I take flight

I will be alright

I looked around as my Mum said

As I have good sight

I did listen to the song of my brother

I just need to hover

Then the people can’t get me

And I can fly free

Well it must have been my lucky day

As there was an open door and I flew away

But from now on

I will listen to every word my Mum will say

I did so wrong

But now I shall sing my song

And when it’s my turn

I will tell my baby’s and hope they will learn

 

No comments: