translate

Wednesday 13 April 2016

PROVE HIM WRONG AND READ?


Emails’ how do we feel about them? Remember the days when the postman would pop an envelope through your door? It would have a stamp on it, when I could see, I loved looking at the picture on the stamp and then to see if it was first class or second. How important was the letter.

 

Now? We receive emails. For me personally, I like this as it means I can read my mail. Paper through my door means nothing. But who are the mails from? How do we feel when we read the heading of the sender? Then in the subject box, do we choose to read it later by the subject? And, if we need an email to be read by the recipient, rather than have our mails ignored or sent to the trash, how do we make our subject box stand out?

 

Your first impression is so important. We judge the content by what we first read. I ask myself by opening this email will I be wasting my time? The answer is based on the effectiveness of the sender, then subject line.

 

If from a company, try to keep your subject personal. Start the subject by writing the name of the receiver. So for example. “Jim check out these vouchers we are proud of, unlike our Nephew. Smile.”

Or how about. “Julie, open this email for a birthday surprise?”

  

Try to be funny in your marketing, but also get the recipient curious. Sometimes being told in the subject “Don’t open this email.” We all know forbidden fruits are the sweetest. So we are told not to therefore we go ahead and open. That is the strategy plan anyway, but always makes sure that the contents of your email continue in such a manner. Or next time you write and the  recipient sees your address, they will remember the false lies you promised in your subject in the previous mail or the humour that you hinted on fell short of tedious troubled traffic chugging along, leaving the reader desperate for the ending of your mail or even just quit reading half way through. So always make sure your mail is interesting. Personal and and the same time, professional. Playing off psychological emotions is the key to getting people to open your emails.         

 

Timing too is particularly important. For example if you are marketing wine, to send this in the morning isn’t a good idea. But you come home from work and you are wrecked. You need to unwind. Oh a glass of wine? You open your mail; there it is, just arrived at 5.30pm. “Jane, just for you a bottle of wine.” Jane will look and realise she is running low and hopefully will order there and then. Of course this is when marketing comes in handy. Has Jane ever bought wine on line before? If not, and she is more like a purchaser of tea, then don’t go there. But if Jane has been known to buy wine on line, then you have your customer.

 

For your own personal emails, you have written a review on for example, Amazon; you receive an email saying “Here is your review for your Philips toaster.” It’s a fact; we love to know how our words are being perceived.  It’s a natural tendency to be proud of something that you have created. And you are curious to know what other readers think.

 

Putting puns in a subject line for me is a good bit of work. Most people like pun’s even if they are corny. But don’t put puns in if you are writing about a serious subject. So its common sense really, isn’t it? There is a bit of a psychologist in me when it comes to sending emails when it’s imperative that we get our mails read and we are conversational and self-referential and when we do get people to open our mail, make sure that the punctuation is perfect as if you are marketing something, and all you are implanting on the persons brain is your bad grammar as then your message will get buried.

 

Mind you, I’m a one for talking about grammar, being married to someone who is a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to writing English, is a disability in itself as really, whatever I write whether it be pro’s poetry, a short story blog or some kind of informational paper, I get criticised. Good job I have a thick skin when it comes to my writing as if I were to take notice of my Husband, I would never write another word.

 

So I said this blog would be different yesterday when I wrote my diary. What has inspired this blog? I received an email from a Blogget who is a director of a very large company. He writes to me frequently and his subject titles are always intriguing.

 

The normal Fi will be back soon. Smile. Now then, what to title this blog to get you reading? Hmm.

No comments: