translate

Sunday 24 April 2016

DIARY OF BATHING IN THE DARK BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good afternoon from the UK. Here in my conservatory just about to start work for the day after being treat to a delicious breakfast from my Hub. It was tinned tomatoes and quorn sausages with seeded toast. So that will fill me for the day until dinner tonight, and then I’m having salad and again quorn, this time I’m having Bolognese. It is one of those mixed up dinners. Hub is having a beef casserole from yesterday and Teen something from the freezer, though he likes my Bolognese, so may start making a lot of that and you never know, may turn him back into a vegetarian? Smile, I don’t think I have a chance sadly on that, but he went thirteen years without eating meat. No, sorry, he did get it sometimes when at nursery, when his friends came for tea, I fed them the kiddy things like chicken nuggets, but never red meat. He was the healthiest child. Never was really ill. As soon as he started to eat meat, his health went downhill always getting head aches and colds. He went out last night, he went to a girl’s party then onto town, he said he was stopping drinking at midnight. But didn’t get in till after three, not sure as I actually went to sleep. Gosh, that is un heard of normally I stay awake with the help of match sticks to keep my eyes open. Last night before bed, I took a bath, where to? Haha. Well, at Christmas, I bought my sister in law some really nice sounding bath salts. They weren’t cheap, about £15 for a tub, I decided to buy myself some and put them away and forgot about them until finding them in the drawer under our bed last night. They were sealed and I opened them. Gosh, they are stunning. By far the nicest I have ever smelled.

 

I had a bath with the wonderful smell of lemons. Or was it limes? I think limes, so I am sure that helped me to sleep. Only thing is with my Sister in law, is she has no bath. Oops. Well I must say, I also use salts in the shower.

 

I threw away lots of tubes of things I got some Christmas’s ago and sadly because we can’t tell what they are, I just don’t think they will be very nice now, but it did hurt to throw away so much. Keeping it basic is the only way. So shampoo and try to buy totally different bottles so you know what is what. Shower gel, we buy Sanex because it has Braille on it, listening manufactures? We buy Sanex because it has Braille on it. So why can’t there be Braille on more?

 

In the UK at our Co-op shops, if you buy their own brands of frozen foods, they also have Braille on them. So it is possible. We don’t have one of those shops near us anymore, but for those who do, support that shop buying their brands as at least they are trying?

 

Cleaning products like my kitchen, again, I now keep it simple. I stick to three products and know what is what. I used to be sucked in to the purchasing army of buying a cleaner for this and that, now I buy what works, I really think that when you buy something that is meant for whatever, never does a good job anyway? So I learn what is a multi-cleaner that works and that will do for bathroom and kitchen.

 

I remember when I first went blind, what tooth brush to use? Well, I learned that you just buy one with a totally different handle or keep yours separate from others.

 

If you don’t have a wall mounted toilet roll holder, it’s a nightmare to know where the roll is, so we have a floor standing holder that fits four rolls on. Sometimes when you go into people’s houses, you go to the loo in dread. Is the roll on the back of the toilet? Feel for it, knock it in the toilet? Well, one tip, close the lid first before feeling or you will have that cold sweat come over you as someone’s brand new loo roll will take a dive a plunge into the forever river.

 

Is the roll on the sink? Floor? If someone is coming to your house who can’t see, tell them that the stand with rolls is on the floor right or left wherever it is, as you are facing the toilet.

 

I often get emails or messages by whatever format asking me how quotes, to deal with a blind person coming to stay? Smile. It’s very subtle things that are so normal and not obvious that you have made special arrangements that will make that person have a great time at yours.

 

I loved staying at my brother in laws and the first time we went to stay there, his partner took me to the bathroom to tell me which tap was the hot and cold, by describing that the hot tap was the red one, and the blue was the cold. Hahah. Bless.

 

I could go on and talk forever about toilet talk, but won’t. I   shall go and help Hub to fight through our mail. Gosh he dreads this, it takes so long to read one letter. Stress for him, and I hate seeing him like that. But  tech and Fi don’t go hand in hand. So I will be there to bring to the bin the rubbish junk mail smile. Later gators. X

No comments: