translate

Tuesday 26 April 2016

DIARY OF DEBATE


Hey Bloggets, how are you? I’m sitting in my conservatory after been on the phone and studying hard in the office this morning. It’s so peaceful in there. I was on the phone when my front door bell rang, I’m not expecting anyone or anything, so I left it, it would be unprofessional anyway to ask the person on the other end to wait. Well on further inspection, there seems to be nothing on my door mat, but I heard one of our neighbours so maybe he took something in for us? It could be Braille, it’s huge when that comes. But again, no post card so most probably sales person. The circus is in town and I have heard that gypsies are the entertainers there. I know this sounds bad, but my doors have all been locked. Already I have heard so many bad things that have occurred and I just can’t believe how some people can be so cruel.

 

Today we woke up to snow. Yes, snow it’s almost May! Then the sun came out, and I’m without heating here it’s boiling, but this morning, gosh, so cold the heating was on high. Now, as I write, raindrops fall against my windows. The sun is teasing the clouds as it keeps coming out then flying away.

 

A new man came around yesterday to look at my garden. As I waited half expecting him not to come, but kind of thinking he will as I know his lady, she is a lovely girl, but at the back of my mind, I know what all the other gardeners have been like around here. Anyway, bless him, he came. What a lovely man. What a breath of fresh air. I’m not being funny, but I wonder if it’s because he doesn’t originate from here? This area? Seriously, gardeners around this area, are like no others I have ever met. They are very greedy. And, not at all honest. May be people around here who have them won’t agree, but that may be because you also live here so you don’t know how other gardeners are in the country

 

teen working then going out to town with a friend for a meal. Gosh, his car, it’s getting worse, today took two goes to start it. You should hear the noise of it? I really wish he would find a job to be able to afford to buy another car. I said I would lend him some money and give him some towards a new car, but it’s no way close to enough. As for his birth Father, he wouldn’t give him the skin off a rice pudding. No change there sadly.

 

A school from Germany contacted me today, well, not the school, but the head of language. Apparently they are reading and studying my blogs. Smile. Part of me hopes that they are studying English, the other part of me worries about that? Haha.  Let’s hope that they are not studying psychology?

 

Well if they are, what a case study? I hope if they find answers, they tell me.

 

I love that subject, anything to do with the mind. I studied about ten years ago and found it so interesting. I just couldn’t stand my tutor. And the feeling was mutual. She was very anti blind people. So patronising. She did everything she could to point out that I in her mind, was different. When I got the best results, she told me that I should re consider going to university to continue. She was from the old school.

When my Husband was applying to universities almost thirty years ago he was told without shame, he would not be allowed to enter their universities one of them was Cambridge because he was blind. No way they would be allowed to get away with it now. Well he went onto a very good university he has three degrees and a masters in business, but he could have lay down and quit with all of the rubbish he got presented with as a young man.

 

OK, the above was written earlier in the day, the gap in between? Don’t ask, really, some days I do wonder about the world I live in with you all and life in general. Let’s just say it’s been an eye opener.

 

Teen had a great night, Hub gone for an early night, dogs in bed, canary under his wing and then that left me.

 

So from the above when I was sitting in a sunny conservatory just been hit by snow, then rain to now in the dark no lights on just me and my soul, along with words I’m going to write about next. Gosh, where to begin. Just to let you into the world of words between my love and myself. Hub and I do talk about some very deep subjects, and tonight was no exception!

 

So, Obsessive compulsive disorder and Autism.

Is there a difference between them both? Hub says no. I say definitely yes. Well, let’s say the heat was turned on tonight in the Fifi Blogget household with this conversation. Hub did get a little hot under his collar. Hahah. As for me? Well, I just know I’m right.

 

What is OCD?

It’s an anxiety disorder and compulsive disorder characterised by persistent and distressing thoughts and behaviours used to cope with those thoughts. A person with OCD often feels compelled to perform compulsive behaviours and believes that performing those behaviours will keep bad things from happening. OCD is more common in boys than in girls.

 

Typical obsessive themes in childhood include worries about germs, harm coming to themselves or others, distinguishing right from wrong guilt about morals or religiosity.

 

So typical compulsions might include ritualized washing, checking, ordering or rearranging, apologizing or mental rituals counting or praying.

 

Children with Autism may not think about their rituals but will more likely act upon their urges. Children with Autism, get some kind of peace pleasure out of their rituals where as those with OCD have to perform to get some kind of relief but it isn’t a pleasure.

 

Children with Autism may have impairment in language, communication or social skills. It is likely that a person with autism will become incredibly upset if their routines are interrupted or not followed strictly. In social situations, those with OCD may feel embarrassed by their rituals where as those who are Autistic, don’t mind what anyone else thinks.               

 

Normally a diagnoses is based on the presence of multiple autistic symptoms such as communication, forming a positive relationship exploring speech, forming independence and and the ability to learn.

 

My Husband believes that both Autism and OCD are the same. I don’t. They are running along the same track, but in a lot of respects they are so different. Now I don’t have a PHD, I just regurgitate what I try to learn                 and my knowledge is based on that and what or who I know. It’s just my opinion that there is a difference between a child or adult with OCD and ASD.

 

Our conversation got so much deeper and rather intense than what I will write here, but it led to a disagreement. Which led further into the tunnel of no return with another debate around the subject of intelligence or talent?

Few, really, gosh, what to make of this one?

 

I said that you don’t have to be clever to be a musician. Oh boy, that did it? Hahaha. I said that you had to be talented. Hub said rubbish. You have to be brainy to be a musician. I totally disagree, again, I have known a lot of musicians in my time and not all were intelligent. Very talented but I would never say clever.

 

So before you all jump on your high horses, there are a lot of people who are amazing musicians who also are very brainy. My Husband for one. But I believe you are born with a talent. Either art, music or the ability to dance in a beautiful way. But that doesn’t make you intelligent. It makes you talented.

 

To have a talent I believe you are born with it. To have some intelligence about yourself, you can learn to play an instrument, but you may not sound as good as someone who is naturally talented. I know musicians who are not academically gifted but can still learn to play piano for example.

 

So what do you think? The arts, talent or brain? Of course you can be both, but always with a talent, I believe you are born with it. As you are with intelligence. But being able to play a tune doesn’t make you the brain of Britain or whatever country. Gosh, I guess my lacking in intelligence is forbidden me from writing this in a more understandable way, but it’s been a tough day and a very late night I have found myself here. So please forgive me.

 

We both know someone who has a music degree who in my opinion isn’t brainy. My husband says she isn’t talented as she has had to work really hard to be able to play to obtain her qualification. So he said she must be intelligent. Really? Why? He said because she can learn something and play it. So she can take in the information. I said, yes, she has a photographic memory, that doesn’t make her clever. He said so talent? I said no, as she plays her musical instrument but it sounds awful. Yes, she has a degree, because she didn’t make a faulty note, she was in perfect timing but to me, her playing is uncomfortable. My husband when he plays, sounds amazing, he could play piano since the age of four. The lady we know had to study for years before she could hit a note that was identifiable. She worked so hard so she is not a quitter. She is a strong lady who I admire for obtaining her qualification, but to be able to play an instrument isn’t the same for example as having a degree in English. Oh when I said that Hub was off again. Haha.

 

He asked me what was the difference between a degree in music and one in English? Now it was this point when I thought he was being pedantic. I soon learned that he wasn’t and this touched a raw nerve. I’m not sure why, as he has a degree in music and English. I told him that he was born with a talent and brains, he combines the two and that is why he is a great musician, because he plays so well with his fingers to piano keys and using his brain to know what sounds good and how to change things to sound better. See, those who may have music degree but are not intelligent, can’t do that. They play exactly what is on the sheet in front of them. Example the lady we are talking about; she only can play what is written in front of her. She can’t improvise. But if she was intelligent, she could do this. And if she was talented, she wouldn’t have to study for years to get to her level.

 

So I don’t think this lady has a talent, or is intelligent. I believe she has the ability to copy, take things in enough to copy, like a parrot. Oh again, I said that, a parrot can repeat words but does that mean they will scrub up their feathers and sport a white coat and become a Doctor? It was then when Hub left the room. Haha. Oops, I thought my comment about a parrot becoming a Doctor was rather humorous?

 

Hub said to me for an intelligent person, I was saying some ridiculous things. He told me the reason I am able to write poetry was because I’m talented and I’m talented because I am intelligent.

 

I said to Hub. “is that why you never read my poetry and are always telling me you hate my poems?”

 

See, I don’t say I’m talented because I write poetry. Anyone can write poems. I truly believe that, same as anyone can learn to play an instrument. But people have to read your poems to prove that you are talented, same as people have to listen an enjoy your music to prove you are talented at music. To be intelligent in my opinion isn’t to be talented. You can be both, but I don’t believe they come hand in hand. Do you?

 

I guess this blog is rather controversial. But it’s a chat, a debate, something just to think about. I was being jovial before when I said I know I’m right, of course I’m not always, just most of the time. Smile. OK, on that note, I shall go and write a poem…. See how many of you read it? Haha. Sweet dreams. X

No comments: