translate

Tuesday 12 April 2016

DIARY OF SELF DEFENCE



Good afternoon Bloggets. I’m soaked right through. Just got in with a wet Waggatail and it’s absolutely pouring out there. I knew before I left but duty called and I had to go out. I possibly could have got away with an umbrella, normally that is impossible as don’t want to poke someone in the eye with it, mind you, sighted people don’t normally care when they do, or is that me walking into their umbrella? Smile.


 


Also I need a right hand free to instruct Waggs. And then of course just thinking as I’m writing, how would I carry the bags back from the shop?


 


I posted a letter, I had to write it out, the envelope and put a stamp on it. Now, did my pen work? Is the stamp upside down? If it’s one of those with the queens head on, I hope her Maj doesn’t mind being on her head again? My friend JB told me that the indentations on the stamp showed you which way to put it on. Now until she told me about this I didn’t even know that we had them on our stamps, neither did Hub. I must ask her again as trouble is, I have forgotten which way she said the dents should be? I think she said the bottom and if so, then I have it the right way. All you UK VIP’s take a look next time you have a stamp in your fingers and feel for a very slight indent I think there are two of them in your stamp but they are so subtle.


 


On my way back from the shop, I was followed. Now I’m sure it was just a poor person I say poor not because they are homeless nor have no money, but poor as the bad English describes I should say more like unfortunate and why unfortunate? Because I have them as some kind of weirdo, who is following me when as matter of fact, they were probably just on their way home like me….. But when someone is right behind you all the way, it’s scary.


 


I remember my self defence instructor Jill telling me if I think I am being followed, the best thing to do is turn on your heel and walk towards them. Apparently that totally puts them off but not only that, if then they turn with you, and continue to follow then you know for sure that they are comeing after you… And then what?


 


The hand you use for punching, smile. So I’m right handed, if you are for example, you tuck your thumb under your four fingers. This makes your punch stronger. And because your fingers are wrapped around your thumb. Your fingers are not going to flop about. Or stick out for the attacker to grab and break.


 


Your punch doesn’t come from your hand but your wrist. So take the strength from that.


 


Lift your arm up so your gripped fingers are in front of you slightly your elbow is ready to hit back with if necessary if your arm is bent you are already positioned for attack.


 


If you are standing waiting for someone or a bus, never stand with your legs crossed slightly or one leg in front of the other. Stand with your two legs slightly apart. If someone comes to push you over you have more balance with your legs in that position. If you can, and I know if you can’t see this is a challenge, punch just under the nose or chin. This will push their head backwards just enough for you to aim for their stomach with a final blow to their belly so hopefully they will fall, just enough time for you to leave at speed.


 


If you need to attack someone who is approaching you from behind, don’t let your leg be flopping about. You don’t just kick out backwards; you lift your knee up and kick straight backwards. Again this gives your leg more strength.


 


Let’s hope we will never need to use our limbs to fight off anyone and hope for a peaceful life, but to be aware gives you strength. As a blind or partially sighted person, you are at more risk than a sighted person. As you are an easy target, some attackers may think anyway. Also at risk are the young kids who will insist in wearing earphones as they walk. Oh this really annoys me. Anyone can come up behind them and they won’t hear them. Moreover, you have more chances in being hit by a car or push bike.


 


Oh I loved the three years I did self-defence. I took qualifications and ended up doing weapons too. Sounds awful but how to use a knife, now, I don’t ever want to carry one and was told never to, but was taught what I could carry legally and use in the same way as a knife, it won’t stab, but will have the same affect to protect. Just around your house if you for example have a rolling pin. Put your thumb on the end of the pin as if you hold it in the middle, the person can pull it through your grip. Don’t hit sideways but a stabbing action.


 


Here I  am,  all talk, in reality, Lord knows what I would end up doing, but just to know tips makes you feel better. I bet now days I could be blown over by a Gail force wind. As for being able to lift my leg up and balance? Haha. That’s a joke? Smile.


  


Well it’s teens last day at work today. I think he is not too happy about it, but really his insurance was or is a joke. The poor kid was working for nothing and the responsibility he had with the roll, was a lot for what he earned. Mind you, it’s better than what he is going to earn? What job will he do next? Let’s see. I am slightly, no, very worried about what he will do as jobs are so difficult to obtain. So far he has done well, but he has gone to the place of work and spoke with the manager. He is a very handsome chap and extremely eloquent when it comes to conversation. So he impressed people. But something tells me he won’t go to the job now and will just fill in forms online. Now don’t get me wrong, his CV is excellent, when he reads it to me I’m like, wow. Gosh, is that my boy? He writes like a professor. But at the end of the day, you have people applying for jobs with degrees so he is up against them, now he may write as if he also has degrees, but that just makes him the same as anyone else. His skill is to turn up and eye to eye with the boss. But I think he is going to have a summer of leisure. Let’s see.


 


He is off to Newcastle tonight. I hope the weather improves as right now its wet roads and the sky is crying it’s clouds out. Makes it dangerous driving, mind you we have to get him back safe first from his place of work and that is one hour. He has been up since five this morning so by the time he drives to Newcastle after coming home for his dinner, he will be really tired. Only two nights there thank God and then home again.


 


When I was out today I bumped into a friend who asked me if I had my hair cut. Hahaha. I replied yes, two months ago. He said he hadn’t noticed. There was me, looking like a right drip hair soaked and he noticed. When I have seen him before I would say half a dozen times, my hair was styled to what it is supposed to look like. And an inch shorter than what it is now.


 


I have to grow it again. Hub doesn’t like it and he said when you have something so beautiful why remove it…. Better than what my Mum used to say? “Darling don’t cut your hair, it’s all you have left going for you.”


Haha haha. Charming.


But she was right.


 


My daffodils smell so lovely in my vases. They are the most beautiful flower. I love them. Our canary is singing such a song today. So many notes in it. Gosh, when people are here, and we are trying to talk, he is annoying, but when I’m on my own, I kind of like his song. Sometimes. Right now it’s beautiful but it gets so loud  at times.


 


Will go for now and when I next return, I hope to have a different blog for you. I’m saying this, but so far don’t have a single clue what I will write, but you will know soon enough.


 


May be before me? Haha. Before I go some words.


 


I hope you are all having a good day, but if not, remember there is always tomorrow. And if you can change something about today, even if it is something very small, then do it. You have the power. Only you can find the strength. You may not be able to leave your four walls for whatever reason, but then you make the four walls a little more pleasant than what they are right now, even if it is just to change your furniture, or make a cup of coffee with a chocolate bar? Have a nice bath, or put on some music that you normally won’t listen to. Just something out of the ordinary in your daily structure. Phone someone you rarely call.


 


Some say that you have to experience the bad days to appreciate the good ones. I smile at that and say I must have in my past experienced everyone’s bad days so when will my good days start?


 


Well I have had a lot of those, and I know there are so many more to come. I know our sun will shine one day and our light will go on for as long as we need it.


 


“What you do today can improve all your tomorrows.”


Ralph Marston

No comments: