translate

Wednesday 21 December 2016

WEDNESDAYS DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good afternoon Bloggets. Just come in from a meal, note, not saying lovely, a new pub we tried which is a couple of miles away from us. My brother, and my sister in law came to visit and exchange Christmas presents.

Since we moved here it is very difficult to find a good old fashioned country pub with a coal fire. Well, this was old for sure. Not sure where fashion came into it and we did laugh because on the menu for vegetarians was lasagne. End of. But when we asked if they did anything else? They did vegetarian sausages with mash, just didn’t put it on the menu.

Last night I booked it and I asked about a Christmas lunch. Oh, I was told they did it but they charged a fortune and, best bit, you had to book 24 hours in advance. After today nothing surprises me about the place.

My brother said there was a fire but I don’t know what kind it was. Certainly, not a roaring crackling kind unless coal doesn’t do that anymore? The staff were friendly. My starter was really lovely. We waited ages for the mains and after such a long time, the waitress came and told my brother the fish he wanted wasn’t available today. As he said. How did it take so long? Surely, they would have known earlier? Well he got another kind. Fish cakes. And they weren’t undercooked as I suspected they would be but in fact burned. My Sister in laws sausages, one out of three was also rather on the dark side.

Hubs main was OK and mine would have been delicious if not for the mash? Oh, it was off, it had to be? My Sister told me it was mustard. Yack double yack. I hate mustard. But the vegetarian sausage was really lovely as was the veg.
We are meant to be going back there at the end of the month with friends but just for a Christmas catch up not a meal.

So, I’m still on the lookout for a country pub just like back home in Northumberland. That is the one of many things I miss since moving here, mind you, living here, the benefits out way the negatives.

LF was as good as gold. Now back home starting to get sorted for tomorrow. We are visiting friends to deliver their gifts. Our friend is picking us up from the train station. It kills me to think how close I will be from one of our friends’ houses, but don’t have time to visit. Then it’s time to check if we have everything for Christmas day. Mind you, if not, don’t know what we will do now…

Tomorrow will be a very long day. But one that will make more memories. This is what Christmas is about. Memories.

A lovely lady said yesterday, all she wants for Christmas was not to be alone. How many people are like her? There will be the three of us on the day but night four. Hub loves it like that, but if not for our Son, it would be awful.

It’s dinner time Teen was due in almost an hour ago, and he isn’t home yet. I don’t have his meal ready, not sure what to do. It will have to be something fast. Oh, hang on. Here he is.
Oh.
There he was!

He actually runs in and out of the house. He has been a taxi service after a ten hour day. Started at six this morning, finished at four and went to take someone to town. In this traffic? Off to the gym then coming home quickly for dinner and to get changed then out to pick that person up.
He needs to chill. He will snap and start to get ill if he doesn’t slow down. But you can’t tell him anything. I wonder how many Mothers develop ulcers?

Storm Barbara is on its way. We are expected storms by Friday. That is Okay, as long as we get our day away tomorrow. I have read somewhere why we name storms and it has something to do with remembering them as they are easier to remember by a name rather than a number or the year it occurred. I think it was said that in the US in 1953, female names were first used then in the late seventies, male and female names were used.

In the Guinness book of records, the largest snowflake measuring 15 inches wide and 8 inches thick, fell in Fort Keogh Montana, in January 1887. I doubt we will get snow for Christmas. A snowflake falls on average 3 MPH. Snowflakes are translucent, not white. Snow appears white because snow is a bunch of individual ice crystals arranged together.

No snow for us a little bit of rain this afternoon, but it is nipping cold. A nice hot chocolate is required right now, all this talk of snow, has made me cold.

My Brother said today that he has bought his wife a wooden leg for Christmas.
He said it’s not much. Just something to put in her stocking…

Some animals turn white during winter. I guess to blend in with the snow to be able to hide from their predators? How amazing is that?

Well a big adventure for us tomorrow. So later with love. X


No comments: