translate

Monday 5 December 2016

A RUSSIAN RED CHRISTMAS

I imagine since I used to go to Moscow, Christmas’s have changed and not sure if it’s for the better or worse? Now in Red Square you will find a Christmas market surrounded by the Kremlin and the beautiful St Basils along with sadly imposing a huge G.U.M shopping centre too.

So, what do I remember about Red Square? Well, it’s not red and it’s not square. Red Square epitomizes the Russian capital it’s about 400 by 150 meters and on its four sides stands The Kremlin, St Basils Cathedral a historical museum and the famous department store GUM. Let’s not forget Lenin’s Tomb. Gosh I still see in my mind the waxy looking Lenin, laying there for all to view. Was he really there? Or was it dare I say it a replica of the real man himself? People used to queue for hours to take a good look at the what they thought was a great man. Is he still laying there, or did they take him away? Not sure but what I am sure about is how he wouldn’t be amused at how his Motherland has turned out.

Red Square was established in the 15 centuries when Ivan III, was in rule and was called back then, Trinity Square. It has seen Government speeches, and even executions. People were butchered by Ivan the Terrible. But parades and marching bands have also been featured heavily in Red Square.

The ultimate architectural symbol of Russia it’s domes, cupolas, montage arches towers and spires will inspire you I’m sure. If retail therapy is more your thing, then visit GUM which is the largest shop in Russia.

I do wonder what the shop keepers are like now days, they used to be quite sharp, well abrupt. In a day when Peasants prayed in the cathedral. I used to hate going into Churches as a child. they were really scary places apart from old dead people laying out in their coffin, it was so dark it made is so hard to see anything other, then what was under some kind of light. And the smell was so awful. Old books, soil and ancient candles. As for the music? I really didn’t like it. My Husband loves Russian Orthodox music.

There is the state history museum with its huge collection of artefacts, dating right back to the stone age. Gosh the public buildings not counting hospitals mind you, just touristy places were so beautiful inside and out.

Since 1992 Christmas has become a national holiday in Russia.
The Russian Orthodox celebrate Christmas on the 7th of January. But on Christmas eve, people will attend their church then return home to have their supper of twelve dishes to represent the 12 disciples then return to an all night vigil in their churches.

When I used to go to Russia, Christmas wasn’t something that was really celebrated in the open and for certain religion wasn’t. I had a friend who one day told me he had something to show me but we had to go where there were no prying eyes???? Sounded ominous? Also, where in those days was there anywhere that people weren’t watching people? He showed me ever so quick his black metal cross tied on a what looked like a shoe lace. I wasn’t quite sure what to say? It was far from nice, but I was intrigued just how edgy he looked showing me something that I thought was quite normal. Me being me asked loads of questions and was told if he got caught with this on, he would be punished. It was at this point I knew to not say another word.

People did celebrate a Father Frost and a snow maiden at New Year but had nothing to do with religion. Father Frost is carried in a Troika across the vast land… rather than a sleigh and reindeers.

Forty days before the celebration Russian people who are believers, have their lent so when it’s Christmas, a real feast can begin.

I have fond memories of my Christmas’s in Moscow. I was with wonderful people who made my Christmas so very special and I will never forget that. Especially my Mum who tried as always to give me fantastic gifts! Her kindness also made sure that everyone else had presents too including the cook at the hotel, the cleaners and other staff members we had known for many years and of course how could we forget the Doctors and nurses at the hospital. She even took wrapping paper to wrap when she got to Moscow, because of course in those days, you couldn't buy it, there was no such thing as wrapping paper.

To those Russians I used to know and for those who have moved onto another world, a very merry Christmas to you all. X

No comments: