translate

Monday 12 December 2016

THE REAL CHRISTMAS BY FIONA CUMMINGS

THE REAL CHRISTMAS
BY FIONA CUMMINGS
Christmas, when I was a girl
I got the sweetest jewellery box
Where the ballerina did a swirl
The wind up key
Played a melody for me
When I was a child
Winters were never mild
We knew Santa Claus was on his way
We didn’t see his sleigh
But with the reindeers he brought the snow
Our electric used to fail shortage of coal
So candles would glow
The white ice cream like weather
Would go on forever
As far as the eye could see
When I was a little one
I would run across what in summer was sand
Right up to the sea
It was frozen I would scream
As I waved my hand
Far to another land
How would the fish survive?
I would ask with wide open eyes
Snow fell from the trees
Like a shower of pure white feathers
We as kids would run through valleys of fun
Sliding down on anything we could get our hands on
Cardboard box
Plastic bags
Red faces
Robbins and a snow fox
Huddled street cats
As a youngster
We would be buried beneath hats
Together
All in similar gloves to match
Fir trees would Glisson
Even the silence would listen
As the snow covered the ground
Like a carpet
Not a sound
It was like a picture on a Christmas card
There was no stress
Nothing was hard
All we had to do was enjoy Christmas and know what it was all about
Hot tea would pour from the spout
Turkey sandwiches would be served
With a hot mince pie
Whose house would have the tree with the star this year
And who would have the angel?
Life in December was full of cheer
Happiness was always near
We could walk among the Victorian shops without fear
Wish our neighbours and strangers best wishes for all the year
When I was a lass
We went to midnight mass
There was warmth in our heart
As we welcomed Christmas to start
A tangerine
A beautiful scene
A chocolate coin
A puzzle to join
A book to read
And home cooked food to eat
Relatives to greet
Excitement all around
Those were the days
When it wasn’t all about the pounds
When a homemade dolls cradle
Meant the world to a girl so little
When the latest action toy
Entertained every boy
When I was a youngster
We had the real Christmas like every other
I was fortunate to have the best Father and Mother
And of course, my big brother
That was the real Christmas

© Fiona Cummings

No comments: