translate

Tuesday 13 December 2016

AN OLDIE BUT GOODIE

A VERY SPECIAL SNOWMAN
BY FIONA CUMMINGS
I stand here each year
I love to hear them cheer
They place a hat upon my head
And give me a scarf so red
Then they laugh as I look like a parrot
As I wear my nose a big orange carrot
It’s like a beak
If only I could speak
But my mouth is just a carving
I have a big round tummy
They think that is funny
I don’t look as though I’m starving
That’s for sure
And my body is white so pure
I stand so proud
As gathering are the crowds
They poke me
And give me coal to see
Each year they come back to me
Same old faces and voices
Same hat and scarf
I’m without choices
I can see through their window
A fire a glow
If only I could sit near the hearth
But then I would melt too early
Rather than standing here so burly
Candles flicker
The colour of amber
The people collect logs
And carry ferns
For the fragrance is beautiful
As it burns
Lists are written
Children all warm in mittens
Puppies are given
And new born kittens
Chimney smoke keeps rising
Nothing new or surprising
But I have seen wonders
And believe me blunders
I’ve heard everything
Choirs they sing
Church bells ring
Lonely people pass
On the slippy paths
They think I can’t see them
Or hear them
But I can
As I am a very special, snowman

Copyright Fiona Cummings 2014

No comments: