translate

Friday 16 October 2015

DIRTY RIVER BY FIONA CUMMINGS


THE DIRTY RIVER

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Friends from our past

 Sadly the connection didn’t last

We chose different paths

The comedian stood on the stage

We didn’t share the laughs

The curtain was red with rage

The poet said some words

But it was as if we were from different worlds

We used to be as one

But that life didn’t carry on

I got stronger

 You didn’t like the fact

  I didn’t need to hold on any longer

But you ran a head

A silk purse paid for your feathered bed

From rags to riches

Smooth roads that were once ditches

  Wherever you are now

I hope lessons of life

 Aren’t shown on your brow

 And still in your heart

Love can be found

Memories won’t part

And in your circle of friends

It’s not all pretend

And they don’t take a lend

Of what may still remain

As you play this game

Of catching your breath

Before your death

Let’s hope it’s not too late

Before you open the golden gate

Just stop and wait

And ask yourself

Are you being true to your roots

Heigh heels

Replaced your boots

Your coat of many colours

Got thrown in the dirty river

Now you wear only fur

Slaughtered mink

The deathly stink

Cabbage soup you no longer eat

Now it’s the cuts of finest meat

Do you look in the mirror?

What do you see?

A shadow of doubt

With a plastic pout

In my mind I remember

Our friendship I thought would last forever

But it wasn’t to be

Though I have no regret

What you were to me

And wish you all the best

In your new quest

I hope your heartbeat has some zest

And the sun will always shine down on you

For my memories of you

Remain so true

 

 Copyright Fiona Cummings 2015

No comments: