translate

Monday 5 October 2015

DIARY OF THE BIRTHDAY


Good day to you all Bloggets. So my weekend. Well, Saturday evening I had pre ordered Hubs Birthday party food to be delivered. It was to come between nine and ten.

 

Ten past ten and it hadn’t arrived. I was a little anxious to say the least. If the food didn’t arrive neither would his box of his favourite chocolates Malteeser’s. Party food and birthday cake. Neither would our basic food for the week.

 

Well, when the man came at half past ten, he didn’t even have the courtesy to say sorry he was late.

 

I’m not being horrid as if not for these people who deliver our food, I really don’t know what we would do, but, I’m sure their brains are handed out in the plastic carrier bags we get with our food in.

 

These people can’t read and some don’t even talk in a manner of respect. When they do its normally patronising. Mind you, it depends on what shop we get our groceries from. If from a shop called Acado, then they are normally OK. As they are foreign. So speak such little English that they can’t be condescending but do know the words please and thank you. They also say have a nice day. Bless them.

 

But all of our shopping was there nothing missing, so great. Now time to separate what was for the party tea and what wasn’t. Hmm. A squeeze shake and rattle later, most of it I learned what was what. I had to ask teen as a last result what three items were. Not more than that or he gets a little tense. So much looks the same these days.

 

Now how to hide things. Some went in a bag on our breakfast bar; some went to the left side of the fridge. How to hide a huge chocolate cake? Well, I managed.

 

I was shattered mentally as I like to do a really nice party. I know there is just the three of us, but twice a year we have birthday time once for Hub and the other for our little chap. Or I should say young as he isn’t little. In fact he pats me on the head now, when he passes. Cheeky monkey.

 

I had done a lot of housework that day. Normally Hub and I work side by side at weekends, but he had been unwell that day with his eye pain. He hasn’t had that for so long, but he was quite bad that day.  So he rested and I worked. I just wanted him to be better for the big day.

 

Time to wrap his gifts that I thankfully managed to get with the help of my dear friends Trix and Hanz. I didn’t tell you about that, but Trix also is blind. Wow, that is the first time I have been shopping with a blind friend. Been of course with Hub and have written about that before. He and I love to shop together but for Trix and myself. It was lovely. She is great to shop with. In fact we are a right pair. She’s so sensible.

I’m not.

  She’s practical.

I’m not.

I’m great with matching and knowing my materials though and know how to have fun when shopping. I’m sure Trix’s young daughter of 22 thought at times

What the heck am I doing out with this nutter?

I know I keep referring to things like this, but, who would have thought when Trix and I were children, that one day we would be in our forties and shopping? Both blind with the same eye condition, whereas when we were children, we could see.

 

It got me away from the house and I enjoyed being able to buy my love his birthday gifts. OK, nothing exciting, but I bought him a new sweatshirt, a shirt a bottle of aftershave and a belt. Now then, the belt was interesting. There were two of them but they both said the same waist size, but one looked loads smaller than the other. Trix said to measure them against each other and there was a huge difference. So wrongly sized. That’s what I mean by saying she is practical or sensible. I see things still as a sighted person, well, if it says 36 waists, it must be. Though I did notice that it wasn’t very long.  She sees things by touch. I still have a lot to learn.

 

I had no sleep. Hub kept tossing and turning. He was in such pain bless him. Next morning our brother was coming. First time he has been here for months. I think Christmas last year was the last time. He is my Hubs brother. He’s so lovely. I’m dreading it, as he has applied to go to live in Australia. Oh I will miss him so very much. He’s a big bear with a loving heart. Not when it comes to animals though, we won’t go there…..

 

Before I got chance to clean up teen’s breakfast, and once again do the floors, the bell rang. It was our bro. He brought me all of his house plants. Not little things you can pop on your windowsill. Oh no, great big plants with razor sharp leaves.

 

I did say last time I was at his house about a year and a half ago, that I loved his plants, well, I have them now….

 

He won’t be able to take them to Australia.

But to be honest, I wish he would have kept them and he would stay. Just something else, or someone else, to say goodbye to. My life story.

 

Well, I told him I needed pots for them now…. He said they had pots. Em. Plastic ones? No way could I have that… I guess he thinks I’m a snob, haha haha. So out we went to buy some porcelain plant pots. Now, I just need a bigger blooming house to put them in.

 

My brother in law is amazing at describing things, and when he pulls up in his car he always tells us if there is a car parked next to us or not. Just so that we don’t open our door into it.

 

Then off to lunch. We went local. Really, it would be so good to just go to a new place UT we don’t know anywhere new, so same old. But it was a pub that was across our nasty dangerous road, so a place we don’t go on our own anyway.

 

At the end, I had my card to pay. The lady came to the table and handed him the machine. I was cross with her I told him I was paying he said we weren’t. He treats Hub for his birthday. So kind. More than his Father did as not even a card. I seriously felt so sorry for Hub. His Dad could have come with his brother as they live together at the moment as bros house has been sold. But never mind. Hub says even when a child at boarding school, he never ever got a card for his birthday. Out of sight out of mind.

 

Hub did speak to his Dad that night though. By phone. And our other brother the twin of the other, text him. So that was nice.

 

As my bro planted the pots for me I put on the kettle and shortly after then, he sadly went on his way. I guess it will be Christmas before we see him again. I’m really torn though that this year will be the last one I probably will see him. Gosh he will be so missed.

 

Our Son had been on a long shift at work. Ten hours. They always keep him so much longer than he is supposed to be there for.

 

I didn’t feel like any tea party but we had to it been tradition.

 

Blew up balloons. I know, my Hub was 47, not seven, but again, tradition. Just like getting my Mums china cups and saucers out from our china cabinet. I always do that for our birthdays so in spirit they are joining us.

 

I made ham rolls, egg mayonnaise sandwiches, in that bread without crusts.  Cheese savoury rolls too. And mini Pizzas with sausage rolls crisps, tiny pies and cocktail sticks. Something I swore I would never buy, those sticks are lethal. Please when you use them if you have a dog, make sure they all go in the bin in the end. I was so careful with them. If a dog gets one of those, it will cut them inside. Tearing at internal organs. Then they sadly will have to get put to sleep.

 

On the sticks, I put sausages, cheese and pineapple. I did other little bits and pieces too and lots of little cakes  as well as the birthday cake. Teen lit it and brought it through. We sang the song and the party began…

 Hub got a lovely card with beautiful words on it from teen and a really smart shirt, a casual one but very trendy. And it fits.

 

My friends Vivi and Jon sent shirts for work and his favourite coffee as well as smellies. So kind. And Hubs daughter sent coffee chocolate and the other little one put some money kindly on Hubs Just giving page for our name a guide dog puppy Suki. Our friends Trix Like, and Hanz, put a huge £50 on too. So kind. So very kind. We are getting there, closer to the £2500 to help Guide Dogs to get a guide dog out to someone in desperate need. Our little Suki pup will have a lot to live up to. Our girl would have loved yesterday. She thought every  gift that was opened Christmas or birthdays, were all for her. She used to help to open the paper.

 

Our brother in law brought his dog. At first our little Wagga didn’t really want to know her. But then, she played and went wild. First time we have seen her really happy around the house since our girl went.

 

An early night for us all as teen had to get ready for work the big boys job now, for the next two months. Personally, I can’t see him finishing this. It’s a tough ask. A long drive early in the mornings. Tomorrow he has to get up at half four in the morning. A long day for him. I hope he does it, for his future employment. It’s a massive opportunity for him, but if he doesn’t I won’t blame him he now has a huge responsibility.

 

First day at work he text me and after almost six hours, he got his first break. Bless him, sitting in the staff room. All eyes on him as he is the newbie in town. Sitting there with his leftover birthday party food. Hahaha.

 

I’m going to miss him as he used to pop in during his breaks.

 

OK I’m going now, keep you long enough.  My Hub working from home today doing something about Procurement.

 

Later gators. X


 


 

 

 

No comments: