translate

Wednesday 7 October 2015

A MEMORY YOU MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN ABOUT ME


A memory I have spoken about in my blogs before but one I can’t forget neither do I want to. I won’t bore you if you have read all about it before but it involves me, our old MP Tony Benn whose life story is one of interest to me. Not necessarily the political side of his life, though I must admit that was rather colourful. Especially if you trace his ancestors back to his Grandfather, but simply how he met his wife to be who was an American over here studying and nine days after he met her, he proposed sitting on a bench in the city where they met. After they married and bought their first house, Tony bought the seat from the council and put it in their garden. How romantic is that? His family became I think four children and all of them went into politics. He has ten Grandchildren as well.

 

 This man became a vegetarian too for ethical reasons in 1970 until his death in 2014. How he managed in Russia on his visits not eating meat? I only hope he didn’t used to stay long,

 


 

He was on a routine flight and plunged into a forest dying killing his co-pilot too. I do wonder if this was an order from Leonid Brezhnev the President of Russia at the time. Perhaps the amazing Astronaut knew too much?

 

Anyway I digress. My memory, sorry, I almost forgot. Smile.

When I was fourteen I was in Moscow just finishing my horrific eye treatment. I was invited by the Trade Union to take a break in the beautiful Sorchi. Now looking back I now know why I was told. To go there for a so called holiday. I have no regrets though at the time, I have once again, another story I have touched on in my blogs. One day I hope to talk more if I ever get the chance to write my autobiography.

 

It was whilst I was there I was asked to visit the garden of friendship. I was handed a spade to make a graft of my name on the friendship tree.

 

The friendship tree was planted as a scientific experiment to create a new hybrid of mandarin by FM Xorin in Sorchi agricultural and garden experiment station.

 

The trees became an experiment of 45 different types of citrus trees

In 1957 many famous people visited the gardens and were asked to graft their names. Commemorative grafts have been added onto the tree of friendship by many heads of state, prominent public figures, Politicians representatives from the sciences, arts and culture astronauts, athletes, military, religious figures and little me…..

 

Well, my name was placed right next to Tony Benn and Yuri. I was handed papers and told to return and I could take some fruit. The papers got lost in the hands of my Mum but the memory lives on.

 

I’m sorry if the English in this blog is poor, but it’s really late, and as a writer, I just have to write down my mind, thoughts and this memory for you to read, just a part of my life you may have never known about.

 

Now, why do you need to know? May be you don’t. But, my adult life has been one of colour but my childhood I wonder sometimes if it was really me?

 

For now I regard myself as rather weak and perhaps dull, but don’t judge a book by its cover, haha. I think now I’m on holiday, as I have lived such a life in my past that would exhaust most people. My turn to relax now? The fruits of life.

  

No comments: