translate

Sunday 17 May 2015

ROLLING THE DICE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


ROLL THE DICE

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

So long I have waited

With breath a bated

The smile has faded

Dear God I Pleaded

To whoever created?

And the empire beyond

To those I am fond

Who have swam over that pond

Walked across that bridge

Fell from the ridge

To those whom I have never met

Too long now with this deep regret

Time to let go

How, please do show?

For I do not know

As this feeling, is one of never before

Is it a closed door?

I don’t want to hear the answer

For I’m not a chancer

I take no risk

An open book you may frisk

Search the pages for the reasons

Then I beg for you to tell

For this life has been so full

Of ventures dull

An yet raging fire

No desire

Nothing to admire

Just a lifestyle  

Something that had to happen for a while

Though too long in myoppinion

Like an onion

Pealing the skin

Not in chunks

But layers so thin

It was a game I couldn’t win

My patience were wearing thin

But it came back to me over and over again

A nightmare that wouldn’t end

To hide such feelings

I couldn’t pretend

There was nothing left for me to lend

I had nothing to give

For this was the story time

For the devil to tell

From his cinders in hell

Burning flesh I could smell

Spirits not welcome

They would enter my home

But words I battled with

In my poem

The face wearing the horns

 Read my words

For your work had begun

Pages you turned

Tore and burned

Letters before you smouldered

Now we are older

We have learned

No tears on someone’s shoulder

A brave soldier

Summers suddenly colder

Winters bitter brash

But as you lay there

In the trash

You have no one to care

Whipped and thrashed

  Without your gold

Though lessons we told

But to deaf ears

We could see the fear

Wanted so badly the cheer

But how?

Lines form now on my brow

Can’t be touched like a sacred cow

A bubble protects what is hurting you

Lies are words not at all true

The last chance

Satan’s dance

Weapons at the ready

Shaking hands not at all steady

Trod on feet

Don’t except defeat

Put out the fire

Grab all you can take

Reach far for that rake

Stab deep within

Tearing out the heart

From flesh it will part

A new time

Protect all that is mine

Out from the flames

Winning all the games

Throwing the dice

Getting the right number

No need to throw twice

Six every time

This is a living rhyme

Read between the lines

What has been committed, is a crime

But now we may dine

And have a glass of wine

Look all around

From the ceiling to the ground

Many steps have walked our path

From tears to a laugh

We carry on

For there is nowhere to go

No one to show

The bravery

Only this memory

 

Copyright Fiona Cummings 2015

No comments: