translate

Monday 4 August 2014

DORIS DAY


 So our vacuum cleaner has broken our washing machine and now my phone only works if I hold it upside down. They say it happens in three’s. It’s three o clock. Teen has just gone out. But also just got up. My dog Wagga is chasing a fly, well; I hope it’s not a wasp? I also hope it doesn’t get my canary? He is so cute and so easily pleased bless him. What a life he has too? Never gets out of his cage. It’s horrible and everything I’m against, but teen wanted a bird and we got him one. But he never really bothers with him. He wanted a terrapin, but that thing was a creature from hell. Teen still has scars from it, we gave it away to a man who was frightened of his own shadow, I did tell him it bites, but he still took her, so I hope she is still OK? This was a few years ago, but they are supposed to live for forty years.

 

Hub away this week with his job overnight, for two days and teen leaving too I think to go to someone’s house, but not sure yet. I guess I will know for sure when he tells me?

 

The painter who came and went yesterday to paint a door for us is due back in half an hour. Let’s hope he stays a little longer this time? Enough time to get out some brushes?

 

I hope to get my dogs out with Arty this week, as poor things need a walk so badly.

 

Still no letter from the hospital about my eyes. Funny they said I had blocked tear ducts among so many more things wrong with my eyes, but they couldn’t do anything with them, an yet my sighted friend is getting an operation to fix the same thing, I tell you if you can’t see, forget any help. The lump on my eye lash is nothing, the dirty mark on my lens is nothing, well, and nothing they can do. I have too much calcium behind my eyes, nothing can be done. Sticky eye lashes nothing can be done. Other things and nothing can be done about that either.

 

As for a future treatment? Well, there is nothing according to Doctor Spook from the other day, I so want to go to the big hospital and see what they say, if the same, then I will have to except my fate. But it’s not easy when those you love can’t accept it. I’m truly close to selling the house and moving abroad. Away from all bad and all history.  

I often think about Doris Day. The old actress. Reading the mail on line today, this is what I found out about her.

 

Stand outside the huge gates to Doris Day’s fortress-like home in California’s

Beautiful Carmel Valley and you can sometimes hear the sound of the canine companions who share the Hollywood star’s life.

It’s been some years since Day, now 91 and so reclusive many may be surprised to learn she is still alive, used to steal through the streets of the nearby town of Carmel in the middle of the night on a regular basis.

Locals would watch in surprise as she rounded up stray dogs and emaciated cats, bundling them in her car to take home and look after them.

At one time she had close on 50 dogs rampaging through her house, some of them piling on to her king-size bed to sleep at night. People would leave abandoned pets at the gates and Doris, one of the biggest stars in Hollywood history, never turned them away.

She once refused to tell a interviewer exactly how many animals lived with her — people would think her ‘wacko’, she said.

The pert, fresh-faced and fun-loving blonde won Oscars romancing Rock Hudson in Pillow Talk and for her belting rendition of the song Que Sera Sera alongside James Stewart in The Man Who Knew Too Much.

But after four tumultuous and — in some cases, violent — marriages, she long ago gave up the company of men.

She much prefers her beloved dogs, though friends say she has always lived in fear that one of them might inadvertently knock her over or even bite her, causing serious injury.

 

Such worries are given added urgency as she is a Christian Scientist — a religion whose followers believe they should heal themselves through prayer before turning to modern medicine.

Day once almost died after her Christian Scientist husband, Marty Melcher, refused to let her see a doctor for weeks, though she was haemorrhaging badly on set.

A doctor eventually discovered a huge intestinal tumour and she had to have a hysterectomy. Years later, she used to hate even taking an aspirin, says a friend who has looked after her in the past.

A few months ago, one of Day’s helpers was seen in the local town buying herbal remedies which supposedly help urine infections and kidney problems - not exactly what the doctor might order at her age.

When Doris is ill, she turns to God and prayer,’ says Mary Wadsworth, a senior member of Day’s local Christian Scientist church. The star no longer visited the Carmel church as she once did avidly but still subscribed to the ‘mother church’, she said.

This week, Day’s devoted former housekeeper, Sydney Wood, spoke of his concern for his beloved idol. Wood, who is British and was Day’s confidant for more than 20 years, has never spoken publicly before.

But now he talks of his fears for Day, and for the first time lifts the veil over the secretive life she’s lived for decades in her secluded retreat.

Since she retired from Hollywood in 1968, after making 39 films but aged only 44, Day has built a wall of silence around herself.

For a while she starred in various TV shows, but gradually she vanished from public view.

Mr Wood, who has adored the star ever since he first heard her songs as a young boy growing up in East Anglia, paints a picture of a somewhat isolated and even vulnerable figure, whose human friends have mostly died and whose animal companions she is no longer able to properly care for.

 

If he was a true friend, why bring up her dirty washing? The article I didn’t bother copying as it goes into detail that is not at all necessare, just shows how disillusioned she is with humans, and I’m with her on that, though I know a few really lovely people, most people now are out for themselves and it is this where I am with dear Doris. As for her using hurble remedies to keep herself well? If I get to 91 and I am still alive, well, great and good on her.

I could quite easily live a life with a select amount of people around me and animals. I wonder how Doris would feel to know her x employee, was telling all to the news papers? No one can be trusted and he should feel nothing but shame.

 

She had a Son who died of cancer many years ago and has a Grand Son who is not in contact with her. So sad.

 

 

 

No comments: