translate

Thursday 4 January 2018

THE OLD ROCKING HORSE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good day Bloggets. Oh, my goodness. I have had such an exciting day. Not. Well, what better to do on a rainy day as clean our guest room? My word, it was rather shocking. It took two hours to do… It’s so difficult though when you can’t see and you have spent the past five weeks putting peoples Christmas gifts in there, Christmas wrapping paper old and new and then there were our stockings half full and our gifts from Christmas and when we got the kitchen fitted, there were still a few things in there from the old kitchen that I didn’t want to throw away but didn’t know where to put it!

 

On top of all that, it’s our ironing room, so, our ironing board, ironing basket and washing basket the kind you take washing out to hang on the line… and, my Sons rocking horse that I will never give away as my Mum bought it for him when he was one, the month before she died. Every time I look at it, I feel so sad as she bought it with such love but it has so much sadness around it as by that point I had been blind for five months and I never actually saw it or saw my baby on it… but, I hope it will have a place in the heart of my Son when he sees his baby on it in the future. At my house of course as I don’t want to ever part with it as I went with my Mum to buy it at the time I was so grieving over my sight loss and the death of my darling Dad who I loved so very much. Little did I know at the time of purchasing it with my Mum she would be following the path of my Dad within weeks.

 

I named the horse Holly as she was a Christmas gift and my Son was too young to think of a name. I don’t know who is crazier, me for doing this, or my baby for doing what I told him to do… but he was a baby, so I guess that leaves one person… I used to get him to pretend to feed it a carrot. He did so again whether to pacify his daft Mum, not sure. But he would stretch his tiny hand to Holly’s mouth to feed it and I would sit him on the horse and hold onto him as the horse had her carrot she used to rock faster and I would slow down and tell him, she was getting hungry again and he needed me to lift him off her and he had to feed her again. And, brush her mane followed by grooming her tail, and then he would be lifted back up to gallop purposefully through the forests passing by all the animals which I of course as his crazy Mummy would provide him with all the sound affects of each creature that he passed on his horse. I would say look Holly, there’s a squirrel, or some kind of bird we would galop along the sandy beach and I would tell him about the fish and sharks of course when there were sharks, he would have to galop even faster then canter and eventually trot before Holly needed to sleep.

And his Mummy would need a cup of coffee…

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

  

No comments: