translate

Saturday 6 January 2018

ALL TALKING ALL WALKING ALL THINKING ALL STINKING DOGS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Dearest Bloggets, whilst the winter continues to remind me of it’s presence, I’m just about getting warm. It rained hard this morning followed by really cold weather not a good thing when driving or needing to walk somewhere as I can imagine it will be dangerously icy. Thankfully today didn’t involve much walking at all. Just to the car of my Brother in laws and back from a restaurant to the car…

 

My dogs have been cleaned as best as they can but still the remains of sandy soil sticks to my Wagga as she decided to have a safe swim in a puddle. That’s as far as my dog will swim. Anything steeper than your thumb, is too risky for my Black Wagging one.  My last guide dog, Hannah, AKA Black Beauty, loved to swim she was like a seal. She loved it so much and even taught Hubs last dog Suki, AKA Long Chops how to do the splashing thing!

 

Oh, Wagga really is stinking, I have cleaned her twice, and now she’s putting the delightful fragrance around our house, Au de wet dog.

 

I’m waiting for our Son to get in from work. His dinner is in the oven keeping warm. Nothing special, just roast potatoes, vegetarian pie and peas. I can’t keep up with what time he is due in. He starts at totally different times. Sometimes 6 in the mornings, sometimes 11. But today he started at half ten in the morning. His place closes at eight tonight, so he could be on close, but Hub thinks he was working until seven, well, it’s passed that now, so who knows?

 

There are other times he starts at seven in the morning and then there is the half eight start. Confused? I am.

 

I’m super excited because I’m meeting with my friend next week. I haven’t seen her for so very long. At least two months. We will of course do lunch. Sadly, I never have the pleasure of a girly day shopping. But if there is ever a treatment or cure for my eye condition, Hub and I are going to shop until we drop. In fact, my friend JB who is the best person at finding places, has a guide dog, but she said she would never ever go outside without a dog or human. In other words, never use a white cane. We were joking yesterday saying we are going to go shopping the two of us in the middle of our home town of Newcastle at the busiest time on a Saturday lunch time near Christmas. Hahaha. With white canes… I wonder how far we would get? Before crashing getting lost or getting arrested…

 

I’m fine with a white cane if it’s quiet but not if it’s noisy. Our friend Like travels to work and back in a town with a white cane and he’s great, but not me, I need to hear where I am. Seriously yesterday Hub and I decided to take our dogs out for a walk. Wagga was great, avoiding workmen on the path but most of the way I had to tell her every instruction where as the Little Fella, just got on with it. I kid you not, Hub was miles ahead, as always, he is a fast walker. Me, I come out in empathy with the tortoises! There was a prickly shrub which met my right arm. I recognised it to be the one at the top of our street. I told Waggs to stand still. Was it where I live? I called Hubs name and in the distance, he replied so his voice came from the far right, and I’m not talking politics, and I turned into our avenue of all sorts. But, I didn’t know for sure where I was, I guess if I was on my own, well firstly I wouldn’t be quite so brave and just head off to a place of possibly no return, but secondly, for sure I wouldn’t have walked so far for so long. My built in Satellite navigation doesn’t deal well with journeys without a purpose other than walking our dogs.

 

If I were on my own or Hub was that little bit a head more than what would have been convenient, eventually when I came to the nasty big road, I would know I had gone too far. And turned to try again. When I’m out still I get dizzy. I’m so not confident. I doubt I ever will be. In fact, I did say that to my Husband yesterday when we got back as I was one step off needing to lay down with shock… and, he blooming agreed. Hahaha. He used to say, no it’s still early days for you. Em. Those doors have been opened and closed too many times now, they are off the hinges.

 

But I did it. Waggs and I did it. Then I got thinking. What goes on in a guide dogs head? When we returned home, I gave Waggatail a drink of water and she went to her bed. As did The Little Fella. They snored. In a deep sleep, they were shattered. If Hub goes to the town, LF takes a couple of days to recover. Where as Hubs last dog could go out every second of the day. But, bless her, she died at nine, I’m sure that had nothing to do with her energy, but bless her, she worked hard. In my Husbands last job our girl worked so very hard in London. And loved it. I don’t think LF could do that.

 

Do our dogs know they are guiding us?

Hub says yes, for sure. He says because they avoid obstacles. I said they do that because they don’t want to walk into something or someone. But he rightly said that his last dog, Long Chops, would walk along our narrow paths of our city and suddenly stop. Take a look around then she would turn a sudden left for example, and take Hub down a street he or she had never been, turn again and bring him out to where he would have wanted to be if not for loads of people being in the way. Oh, she was really a wonder dog. Now, she could have squeezed down that pathway easily. But not so with Hub. As there are often queues both sides of our paths with bollards in the middle. Also, she would put her head on my leg and walk me through where we had two sofas where there was a tiny gap to get through, where I know how to get through it, but LC bless her would think I would bump myself so she would walk me in between the sofa’s and then she would continue her day happy I was safe.  As if I couldn’t do it on my own?

 

What goes through their heads when they are doing their guiding thing?

Who knows but the Little Fella has his tail as far up like a cat as possible. It doesn’t really wag, just right up and curls to meet with Hubs hand on his harness. So cute. My Waggatails tail apparently according to my friend Julie, stays down this is why I’m not sure what it’s doing, and she told me Wags’s tail wags just a tiny bit left to right. When Waggatail goes to an area she doesn’t know, she starts to frantically sniff. Sometimes refusing to walk, this is a kind of hindrance… but thankfully we rarely go anywhere new. Where as LF would go anywhere. Waggs loves her harness though, she loves to be out especially if at the end of her walk there is a biscuit. She used to hate walking back home, but the promise of a biscuit, oh, my, suddenly she finds a new gear and ups it.

 

I think my Wagga thinks when we are out, this is fun, what’s in Mummy’s pockets? And moreover, what’s waiting for me at home? Or is she thinking, like Little Fella “Our owners rely on us it’s up to us to keep them safe!”” I mean, many times we are about to cross a road, and one of those silent cars goes by, we start to ask our dogs to cross and they refuse. Because they have road sense and don’t want to be hit? Because they know they have to be the decision maker this time and make sure we stay still? Or both may be or, just they are trained so well when they see a car, not to cross. There is so much work put into their training.

 

Our dogs can even look up to a high tree and avoid that for us, it won’t even bother them as it’s much higher than they are, this must be training, I can’t imagine them being so brilliantly clever, can you? Having said that, my dog was trained and she sometimes decides to tell me about those branches, but not always. So, either her trainers weren’t so fussy with hanging branches, or Waggatail has a selective memory.

 

Do they talk to each other, kind of swap notes and tips?

I think they do because again I was out with my friend Julie on two occasions and both times Hub and the Little Fella were as always, a head of us and Julie kept telling me how cute LF was as he would from time to time, turn his head to look at us… each time he did this, Wagga’s tail would move faster. So, is LF checking his big sister is OK? Warning her that there are hanging branches ahead? Or, is he laughing at her calling her slow coach? Smile… They talk when they come home because after a drink and a treat, they both head to bed and stay there for around the same time. Funny thing, at nights, one dog will take themselves off to bed and within a second the other one will follow. Or, they will just start to play with their toys together, the same time.

 

Hub and I joke as we feed our dogs one at a time, leaving the other one out of the room. When the one who has been fed first goes through to see the hungry one, they tell the other they have had a huge bit of steak for dinner…. And there are dry biscuits left for them… But that’s just because Hub and I are ever so slightly mad!

 

One thing I do know, is we love our guide dogs so very much and they really are life savers.

 

No comments: