translate

Wednesday 24 January 2018

NANCY'S STORIES CH 1

Bloggets, get ready to laugh and say out loud. "ahhhhhhh, wow."" This lady is wonderful. I'm blessed to have her in my life and I know you will love her words.
but that little bugger is back!

  Okay, I can now get the dumb ass of the year award. I get up at 4 a.m. and am impatient to get started on my day as the heat is supposed to climb later. Before light hits the sky, I am out in the prison yard, tending to the Bad boy of the barnyard and the little chicken mafia. My faithful dog by my side as I work with flashlight in hand. I scatter chicken grain for the little carnivores, shovel chicken shit from the floor and make several trips to the compost pile. I smell like I just took a bath in the duck pool. Hurricane Jose on my mind as I think with agony of the wood that I still have to stack and wanting it done before the storm comes in. I am done with the poop patrol by 5:30 and it’s still dark, murky with fog and ohhhh so quiet on the home front. I love the early mornings. It's when I can work and let my mind venture to faraway places. Hauling out the wheel barrow I notice my Tara Belle acting strangely. Not giving it thought I head to the wood pile and begin loading the wood once again. It seems this woodpile is mocking me.

 

I've loaded and unloaded this freaking thing four times now, another story for another day. Calling Tara Belle, thinking she's just spooked by something she smells in the woods, I make my way to the woodshed. Floor is still holding so hubby won't die by my hands today. Tara belle refuses to follow me. I should have listened to the dang dog. With an arm load of wood, I make my way into the shed, and see the skunk, and that little skunk sees me, and our eyes meet. hers curious, mine horrified.... I scream like a school girl...’Oh dear God why?’ as I back pedalling to get the hell out of the way. She squeaks...lifts her tail...Pepe Le Pew...sends out a spray of the most noxious, horrible, gagging substance....and dropping the wood I run like my ass is on fire and the devil himself is hot on my heels...Tara Belle is already on the porch, and this little fu***** Pepe Le Pu is chasing me.... Since when do skunks chase people????? Aren't they supposed to run away? Thus today, my shed and wood pile have the most noxious odour known to man and I am at a standstill with loading the wood…Hurricane Jose can have it…and perhaps in all his hurricane fury he will carry that God-awful skunk from my place.

 

Part 2

And: That little bastard is back! In December! Too cold I thought for skunks, but noooooooo! It is 1 a.m. and hubby mumbles, waking me up. Him: What is that smell? Me: Grumbling. What? Him: That smell? Me: Oh fudge! Skunk! As I am burying my head beneath the covers gagging. Him: Man! That stinks, it smells like he's right here in the bed with us. Me: Go out and shoot him! Him: You go out and shoot him! I ain't going out there! Me: Please Dear God go out and make him stop! Him: You're just nuts, you know that? Me: It stinks!

Him: Go back to sleep! Me: Well you’re the one who woke ME up asshat! So thus, another early day starts up here on the hill.... paradise.

 

Part 3

And, The trees are covered with ice and it is a let down from the beautiful warm temps we had over the weekend. Laundry has been started and the big hand

on the clock above the fridge is just reaching five a.m. My day has started. My mouse is alive and well out in the wood shed, she/he peeped its furry little

head out at me yesterday. I listen as Peckerhead crows out his morning call… I am mad at that fluffy little flicker, as I limp around the house doing my

chores like some old lady with arthritis in her joints… No I don’t have arthritis..I am sporting a bruise about the size of a saucer on my knee which also

has swelling the size of an orange. And it is from chasing an escaped Peckerhead convict around the icy yard yesterday, slipping and falling several times,

as the Little Chicken Mafia cheered him on. They wanted him to embrace his freedom…I wanted him back into the coop. The Little Nasties quacked behind their

fence…wanting and hoping for another go at this handsome dude. They were preparing for a rumble, I was preparing ideas for a good stew. Needless to say,

I won the race and he went back into lockdown. He was not a happy prisoner…, crowing out his displeasure as I closed the jail house door. So today I will

go into the coop armed with a broom. Why? Because Peckerhead has been known to hold a grudge…and I want to be prepared in case he decides to strike. I

know him and the girls, the rowdy, conniving little bunch they are, have been plotting and planning my demise. It is not a matter of if but rather When!

And I will be prepared. No more prison breaks on my watch. No more sneak attacks if I can help it. Awareness is the word of the day…be aware of my surroundings…if

anything looks suspicious…take notice and take action…I feel like I’m preparing for my own little Chicken/Rooster Terrorist attack. It is an uneasy feeling.

 

Now, I have had people who read my stories ask me why I would keep such a beast around and I always tell them it’s a complicated subject. But the basic

bottom line is that I’ve come to respect this little dude. He is a great protector for the Little Chicken Mafia dudettes…he’d lay his life down in a Mississippi

minute should a fox, coyote, hawk or other predator come after them. He even protects them from me. He’s got spunk and attitude, something I find challenging

and endearing. He’s got a big and bold personality!!! And as wiley as he can be, he just has a way of looking at me that makes me smile. Yes, we have a

very dysfunctional relationship, he and I. So today I am armed with a broom…and an attitude of my own. And, I am sure he’s already got his moves all planned

out…and we will do this dance one more time.

 

Written and © by Nancy Broadley

And there are more to come. She’s brilliant and I absolutely love her stories. She is the only person who can actually make me laugh out loud through her writing.

 


 

 

No comments: