translate

Wednesday 3 January 2018

RP THOUGHTS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


 Good day Bloggets.

Oh my, it’s wild out there. Just got in and it’s as though the Devils Daughters are dancing with dirty work boots on. Some parts of the UK have wind speeds of up to 102 miles per hour. I know our neighbour’s bins blew over during the night so we will have to try to find them for them as they are on holiday.

 

My other friends left for a sunny holiday too today. For three weeks. Gosh, to just get up and go for that amount of time without a worry. Their children are grown up and they have no pets. Not a care in the world… it’s another life isn’t it?

 

I have just brushed my dogs too. Leaving their dog hair outside for the birds to keep warm in their nests. I can’t imagine what the birds think now. all that wild wind how on earth do they keep safe? They are so very small. And that wind even blew a Fifi along the paths.

 

So, my subject today is one a Blogget asked me to write about!

 

Lately on the news there has been talk of research for certain kinds of RP, my eye disease. But not the same kind as I have as there are different types of Retinitis pigmentosa. Anyway, they are saying this injection gives you sight for up to six years then you go back to being blind again… it was a very brief article and written in medical jargon, so forgive me for not having all facts, anyway, it is still in experimental stages, so I will obviously keep an eye on it, pardon the pun and when I learn more I will write more with a link. But the subject is, A, would I have such an operation? And b, how would I feel being able to see for years with the knowledge that I will be blind again one day soon.

 

Firstly, yes for sure I would have the operation. Unless I was told if anything else came along which would mean that I would have full sight forever, but because I would choose the six-year operation, I wouldn’t be able to have the latter operation, then I would hold off. But to be able to see for six years? Wow, it’s a decision I wouldn’t even hesitate on. My Husband said he wouldn’t have such an operation because he couldn’t stand the thought of having such a gift removed but me I said we could do so much in that six years like go on a holiday on our own do what we want when we want. Have those forest walks, go to the beach and enjoy walks along the prom and drive to see our friends whenever we wanted. Go to shops and pick our own clothes rather than doing it on line and grocery shop just like everyone else does rather than again shop on line or just shop for small items of food. We could see each other see our loved one’s smiles reactions and remember colours again in my case I’m forgetting colours and it’s distressing. Gosh, to see even for a week would be a gift but how would we feel knowing that was only for a few years? What would we do in that time and how would we prepare ourselves for that dark day to raise its ugly head again?

 

Well I would go swimming I know people do who are blind but I’m such a person I can’t stand people looking at me and if I were to bump into anyone in the pool, I die inside, so to swim to be able to get in a pool without sighted assistance and swim without worrying about crashing into people, just small things like that not to worry about how to get to the changing room making sure I walked into a cubical that was free. I tell you when I was partially sighted, a few times I walked into a cubical that had someone in. and of course I looked in the visual world, quotes, normal…. No horns or flashing lights, I looked sighted. So, people would think I was either weird or a pervert. Haha.

 

What is that about sighted people how they feel the need or say you look normal? Really? I get so cross wen people say that, or, you don’t look blind. I mean, do we say you don’t look like you have a heart complaint? Or if some people have cancer and they tell you, would we say. “You don’t look as if you have cancer!””

No, you wouldn’t you may think something but there are times when you really aught to zip it. Smile.

 Just saying.

 

So, would you have the injection that would give you sight for six years? How would you feel knowing that one day you will be blind again? Well, personally for me, I have been blind for coming up to twenty years so I would just carry on, but I would have good memories and whilst I could see again I would know how to appreciate it more than I did before when I spent my time worrying if one day I would be blind. Thing is with me, I thought I would go blind slowly, I never expected my vision to go overnight. That was what scared me beyond belief. It was a living nightmare that I really wouldn’t want to wish on my worst enemy.

 

What would be the most depressing thing, to never see again, or to see then have it removed?

Surely to see, even for a short time would be wonderful. In simple terms, it’s like having the most exquisite meal, knowing that you will never have anything quite so delicious in your life, and, at least you have tasted that food had that experience.

 

You will eat again, so you won’t die. We would live again, we just wouldn’t be able to live in a way right now we can only dream about!

 

In the meanwhile, let’s keep hoping that one day those who wish for it, will have a miracle new treatment that will open all dark heavy curtains and allow the light in again.

 

 

 

 

 

    

 

 

  

No comments: