translate

Monday 11 September 2017

WHEN YOUR DAY STARTS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


When your day starts by looking for your front door key, everywhere, for more than ten minutes, only to discover that you actually are holding it in your left hand, lets you know what kind of day is ahead of you!

When you open your emails to find more news about your Sons holiday and how dangerous it could be, isn’t helpful either.

When you come to that annual decision that you really don’t like, doesn’t contribute to you having a good day. One can only hope it gets better.

 

I automatically pick up my door key each morning to bring down stairs. I was feeling with my right hand. I couldn’t find it anywhere but though my memory is really letting me down of late, I distinctively remember putting it in the same place as always last night. This is a tip for those who are losing their sight. Get into a habit of putting things like glasses, keys and even when you are cooking, into the same place. I use a lot of chopping boards so that I can lay them out before cooking. I keep my chopping boards in the same place each time I cook then I know where to look for things like the veg I have took from the fridge or on another board herbs and another one utensils. Then there are only three places to look.

 

When I was privileged to wear glasses, I have been known to look for them when they have had them on already. I have heard of people looking for glasses when they had been lifted up to on top of their head, but I was actually wearing mine…

 

When my Son goes on holiday it will really bother me. It’s such a long time he is going for too. This will be the longest time we will have ever been apart. Fifteen days. I’m dreading it. People are saying but if he had gone to university he would have been away longer, yes, and your point is? Others are saying things like, he is twenty now, it’s time to let go? Really? I wasn’t aware of me hanging onto him, as this will be his fourth holiday of the year and I see him for most half an hour each day. He goes where he likes. Someone had the audacity the other day to tell me I treat my son as if to wrap him in cotton wool, really? How many kids do you know who have worked from the age of fifteen. Never been out of work. Went to Japan for his work experience when he was fifteen. Has been travelling abroad on holiday without me since the age of 16. Has driven since he was eighteen and of course his Mum and Dad can’t teach him to drive, so it was up to him and an instructor. He has fixed his flat tires on the roadside and changed bulbs and so on in his car, does his own oil etc. Washes and irons his clothes has done since he was fifteen and cooks his lunches every day, only started that this year, but you should see what he cooks? He’s an amazing cook. I never clean his bedroom I haven’t since he was about seventeen. He cleans his windows dusts and does his floor. His bathroom mind you he doesn’t do. But when people judge who don’t know our life it just annoys me. It always gets on my what nots when people say he is twenty. Time to realise he’s grown up and ready to fly. Well I am not stopping him from flying, but because I want to see him because I love him, doesn’t make me a bad parent. Just because someone is twenty doesn’t mean you should stop loving your child. He will always be my child no matter how old he is. How can I stop loving him because he is of a certain age? I love him as much now as I did when he was a baby. Sadly, we hardly see each other that’s his choice because he is glued to his girlfriend. Sadly, for him, he never sees his friends now either. In a way, I’m glad he doesn’t drink and unfortunately all of his friends are serious drinkers. I’m proud of my Son that he has got that out of his system, but I think if he wasn’t with his Shamrock he would go back to drinking with his pals. Sham does drink but tends to be with my Son so only does this when she gets a day off when BW is working. Where as when BW is off when Sham is working, he goes to the gym and cleans his room.

 

Trying to get him to do his project for work is proving to be a challenge. But I am not stressing about it as I did when he was at school and college because now it’s up to him he is old enough to make the choice of promotion or staying put in his job. But he has a big meeting with his boss at the start of next month, and the point of the meeting is to decide if he gets a promotion. To get that promotion, he has to have all of his paperwork in place first and there is a lot of that and he hasn’t really started it yet. He has to get a student and show how they have progressed under the supervision of him over some time. He started that part a couple of weeks ago. Now he just needs to finish it.

 

So, the job I did today, the job I do annually that I don’t like, is to put away my summer clothes. I cheat.  I used to put them in bags but now I hang all my tops on three hangers and all my skirts on one hanger and dresses on a couple of hangers. They are slightly put together but not half as creased as they would be in a bag. Then I put them to one side of my robe. So, out with the jumpers. It’s only September, and already I’m in jumpers. Though today is sunny there is a nip in the air.

 

So, why do I feel so sad each end of summer? Because I wonder next time I take the clothes from the robe to sort for wearing, what will have changed in my life? And, will I still fit into them next time? There is hope but I hope for this every year and so far, it hasn’t happened, that I will have to buy all new clothes because I have lost some weight. Because of good health, I will be slim next year, but I am 80% sure that won’t happen.

 

Hub has been great for exercise this weekend. But better with eating. Gosh he has such willpower. In a week, he has already lost 2 and a half pounds. 1.13kg.

He’s lost it.

I’ve found it.

At the start of the year, I did so well. Mind you, in five weeks I only lost 5lbs/2.27kg. but it was heading in the right direction and moreover, I got over the pain barrier and felt so good inside.

 

I’m making chicken Kiev for dinner tonight. I have never made them before, not home-made ones and I bet they will not be half as good as I used to get when I visited Russia. They were the best as was Russian Stroganov! Oh, I would love to be able to make that and of course now the beef would have to be replaced with mushrooms.

 

For the first time, ever I have my Husbands birthday presents all sorted a couple of weeks before his birthday. They are all bought just need wrapping and that is that. He is so difficult to buy for.

Then it’s Christmas. I’m really struggling for that. He has everything and he only likes class. Oh, talking of class, I will write next time and tell you about my doorbell. Hahahaha. Remind me. Until then I hope your day started better than mine.

 

 

 

No comments: