translate

Monday 18 September 2017

THE BIRD IN THE AVERY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good afternoon Bloggets. I have just critiqued a poem for a very talented writer. Though I am honoured that he asks of my opinion, one has to wonder why he feels my impression matters as he writes far better than I do. He is so talented and his play with brilliant words is far superior to anything I can write.

 

I receive many short stories and poems to read and I can tell you that there are a lot of words, scrape across my brain, fill my in box and hurt my ears words that I feel I have to tell the writer my honest opinion then I think just as I am about to press send, who am I to squash dreams? So, how do I deal with such matters? I simply reply as politely as possible, giving as few words as I can, saying something like. “I hope you enjoy writing, if you do, continue to do so.”” And leave it at that. So, if you have received one of those emails or messages from me saying that, then remember as I said to the wonderful poet

today. I’m a small bird in a huge Avery. People who will read his, poems will come away with totally different views on the picture he has painted in words! Like art, people look at paintings and see differently to the next person entering the gallery! Personally, I fail to see how anyone couldn’t admire the work that the poet I read for today has put out there. He really is talented, his play with words is not only an English essay but a lifestyle of imagination!

 

 There may be others who loves your, work, though there are some writers out there that I fear will have a very small audience. Possibly their Mother or Spouse. And in my case, my spouse really doesn’t like my poetry. Even now I have stopped writing so much dark stuff, as he hated that, he still doesn’t like listening to what I write when it comes to poems. He says he really doesn’t like any poetry, but one wonders if that is his way of saying. “I hope you enjoy writing, if you do, continue to do so!””   

 

I may dig deep into the archives of my old poems and republish them and let you see if you are new Bloggets just how dark my mind can go. They will all have to come with a warning. Smile. They didn’t really depict my mind at that particular time of writing possibly touched on how I felt at some point of my life, or just using my imagination when it came to the brain and mindset of a dark writer. When I used to write such poetry, I got chills but butterflies too as the thrill of writing such words really excited me. That was how I used to know I wanted to be a writer as I loved writing back then. I say back then as now my words are basic and my stories I feel are thin. My past was thrilling dark and devastating as well as different and I danced with death and desire. Saw poverty and lived as a princess, now? I’m normal. Well, some would argue at that, but normal as nothing out of the ordinary happens any more.  In some ways, I thank goodness for that. Now, I’m a normal wife and Mother. And the latter I struggle with like never before. Gosh, when my Son was a child, he was the easiest person in the world to look after. Now? OK, he is old enough to look after himself, but I still feel as if I am the Captain steering the ship and the rocks just get bigger as the lights on the house blow out.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: