translate

Thursday 21 September 2017

FROM THE MOUTH OF A BABE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


FROM THE MOUTH OF A BABE

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

He’s a funny little fellow

With a black snout

And his ears are yellow

He’s quite stout

With orange paws

I keep him on my drawers

Next to the door

He peers out of my window

His arms are blue

And his eyes are the colour of cinders

With a straw sun hat on

And a Dicky bow tie

He’s something to cuddle

When I cry

 

Mummy does laugh

As I throw him to fly

Just after my bath

He’s put by my side

His name is Domino

I didn’t give him that silly name

Mummy says it’s the name of a game

I used to bite him

When I had a pain

Daddy said I was teething

 

When I wouldn’t eat the food from a jar

Mummy pretended to feed Domino

And called him a star

I, wanted to be a star

Whatever that is

So, I opened my mouth

And ate that nasty slop

What’s that all about?

Feeding shrink wrapped mini peeps

 Different food to the tall ones?

They have cakes and scones

And eat with big tools

We have to be fed as if we are fools

Then handed tiny spoons

When we grow that little bit larger

But who wants squashed food

When we can easily manage a burger?

Mummy tells the tall ones

I’m still young

I think my name is one

Because that’s what Mummy says

The good thing about being a shrink wrapped mini peep

Is I can do nothing but play

 All my days

Oh, and then there is sleep

Not too keen on that

But at least I have Domino

With his silly hat

Ive tried to get rid of that

But Mummy fixes it back together

He will be my friend forever

 

Mummy made a loud noise one day

As I tried to throw that thing away

You know that thing they shrink wrap me in

Mummy puts it in the bin

Normally followed by a word called pooh

Or stink

I haven’t learned yet what it’s for

But as I threw it on the floor

Daddy came through the door

With lots of water

As I smiled at him

Mummy said she’s yours

You wanted a daughter

He said of course

So, is that what I am?

Mummy said she’s stressed

Daddy looked at me and said he’s not impressed

Well, I knew that

He’s Daddy

 

Domino never pretends to be someone else

He’s just Domino

Wherever he goes

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

 

No comments: