translate

Thursday 21 September 2017

THE RIDDLE OF THE GUIDE DOG BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good afternoon Bloggets. I have just got in from a lovely meeting where deep and meaningful conversation were had. I love such get togethers. Waggs was a good girl and members of the public were of great interest. A coffee and sandwich with a friend was most enjoyable. Home now, glad to see our house is still as locked up as it was when I left it as of late, we have had some strange goings on. During the night our Little Fella, who is only little in age not size, has barked at 4 a.m. and being spooked just before midnight another night but last night about elevenish our door bell rang. So late in the evening, I had to wonder as I had that dreadful feeling, it was the Police my Son had been involved in some awful incident! I’m so positive… Not…

 

No way I was answering the door so I shouted who is it? No, answer. So, I repeated and again no answer, no car but I thought I heard a fast couple of footsteps. So, I think we may have a chancer on the prowl.

 

There is no better feeling than to get home, know your house is safe and feel comfortable. My heart goes out to all of the people who are being affected by earthquakes and hurricanes right now. The news is full of such sadness and fear.

 

As you may know, my Son was due to go on holiday to Cuba. Thank God, the holiday company have had the sense to cancel it, but they have chosen another holiday. This time to The Dominican Republic. As I learned today, that too is due to be hit by hurricane Maria! I just pray firstly that it won’t be hit badly if it has to be hit at all, people and all animals, will be safe but secondly, if it is going to be dangerous there, my Sons holiday will be cancelled again. As far as he is concerned, he is going unless the holiday company will cancel. I just pray that if it is going to be dangerous, they will, stop it from going ahead.

 

As I was talking today to my friend I agree with her, about believing that our lives are mapped out for us and if he is not meant to go, then I hope he won’t. Looking at the difference between Cuba and TDR, the latter looks a much better holiday, though my Son loves culture and not sure how much of that will be in The Dominica Republic! But, it looks so lovely there.

 

Boy Wonder got up for work at half five this morning and Hub twenty past six. It’s a very long day for Hub as he is hosting a dinner tonight too. As for me, oh it’s great, I made a huge chicken pasta for the family last night and there are left overs so easy peasy tonight. I’m going to chill all day now as I was up early today and have done all of my housework. Fantastic. Half two in the afternoon and apart from feeding my dog Waggatail, there is nothing to do.

 

Out today with my guide dog with her harness saying in bold writing. “Guide dog, please do not distract, and my friend is training a puppy to be a guide dog so he wears a blue vest with Guide dog in training on, still the public ask to stroke, play and chat to the dogs. If we were standing perfectly still, then yes, but my friend was trying to get her lovely pup to meet Wagga without jumping up on her. It was rather obvious that some training was going on, but still this lady insisted that she would come over and when my friend suggested it would be a good idea not to come over right now, she wasn’t too happy. She didn’t say anything, but I can imagine what she thought. It’s a funny one, as I have said before, it’s a fine line, we of course don’t want to be rude and we are not, but there are signs saying don’t distract but people just don’t read. For new Bloggets, reason being, if I am walking with my dog to where ever, and someone just suddenly stops in front of us, firstly I will get a shock thinking I’m about to walk into someone, then my dog will pick up on that and it could disturb how our dogs  continue on that route also if the person talks to us and makes a fuss of the dog, the dog will get excited and possibly try to turn around and around leaving us totally disorientated to continue on our way, and, the next time our dogs may see that person, what if it’s across the road on the other side and our dogs forget they are working and try to take us across the road? Or, stand still refusing to move until that person comes to chat again? If we are in for example, the cinema or theatre, well we want our dogs to lay down and be totally quiet. If someone talks to our dogs, they are going to get up and cry when that person leaves to take their own seat. Then to get our dogs back down all calm again? In church, we don’t want our dogs barking in the middle of a prayer. Smile, so it’s not that we are rude, it’s just how it has to be. Of course, if we are standing still waiting for a friend for example, and you ask first, then I am sure most guide dog owners will say yes, it’s fine to say hello to our dogs, when that happens to us, I always keep a hold of the lead and the harness, as nice as people seem, as a blind person, we really don’t know who is touching our dogs and who can unclip them from us, but that’s just me.

 

Our dogs are our lifeline and to us they are like legs to the lame, hearing for those who are deaf and a way of getting out and about for those who can’t see. We can’t pick one up at a shop, we can wait up to a year and a half for a replacement as our dogs have to be matched perfectly for the partnership to work. It’s no good giving me a dog that needs to be out for a few hours every day walking for miles or a dog that is used to travelling on trains every day or no good giving my Husband a dog who is active in harness wanting to go go go. Not when he has to stand up in conferences to give a talk or sit at a boring desk all day! I would not be able to work with a dog who walks really fast as I am a moderate walker. Or a fast walking person a dog who slowly walks along. And, it’s no good giving a dog who would eat a cat for starters to a person who has cats, or a dog who doesn’t like children, to a family with kids. Not that the dog will hurt the child, but the child may make the dog anxious which will affect their work. So, this is why we can wait. My first dog, I waited twenty months and my second, Waggatail, only two months. My Husbands last dog had to be able to cope with London, on trains and tubes getting him through crowds but this one doesn’t have to be too active as Hubs job has changed, so this dog is quite different to his last one, our Long Chops. Oh, she was such a good dog, I miss her so much and I looked today, at my blog stats, for the first time, the blog I wrote about her passing, (The most Difficult Diary) has disappeared from the top five most popular blogs. For two years she was in the top five. For a year and a bit, she was the most read. I hope it’s a very long time before I have to go through that pain again. I lost my Black Beauty, my first guide dog, almost a year to the day, before we had to say goodbye to LC. LC was only nine, where as BB, was 12. But, LC went so fast within three days. To see my love in such a state too, was too cruel. Our dogs are six and three now, I pray for a long life for them as we are fortunate we are keeping our dogs after they retire.

 

Going back to stats on my blog, the US are double views to the UK and have been for the past few months. Still there is a big gap between the two countries though as far as views go. America is about 26 thousand behind the UK who have read my blogs 93 plus thousand times! Poland are hanging on in tenth position. Russia are third, Ukraine forth and Germany are fifth. 6th, 7th 8th and 9th? Canada, Australia, South Africa, and France.

 

I’m going to catch up with your lovely emails to me now and messages through other means. But before I go, some riddles.

David's father has three sons: Snap, Crackle and _____ ?

Answer? Come on, read it again and see if you can guess the other name of his Son?

David's father has three sons: Snap, Crackle and _____ ?

Answer

 

David.

Mr. and Mrs. Mustard have six daughters and each daughter has one brother. How many people are in the Mustard family?

Now, I bet this one gets you it did me. Here it is again.

Mr. and Mrs. Mustard have six daughters and each daughter has one brother. How many people are in the Mustard family?

Answer?

 

There are 9 Mustards in the family. Since each daughter shares the same brother, so there are 6 daughters, one brother and Mr. And Mrs. Mustard.

You live in a one-story house made "entirely of redwood". What color would the stairs be?

I love this one. As it’s so easy, but I still thought about the answer.

 

What stairs? You live in a one-story house. There are no stairs.

 

Hhahahaha. Who’s going to admit they got that wrong?

A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?

Answer

 

 the woman is a photographer. She shot a picture of her Husband, then developed him then hung him up to dry.

There are nine Mustards in the family. Since each daughter shares the same brother, there are six girls, one boy and Mr. and Mrs. Mustard.

There are nine Mustards in the family. Since each daughter shares the same brother, there are six girls, one boy and Mr. and Mrs. Mustard.

 

This is easy, even I got this one.

A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, an attractive girl named Sarah. The bus driver had to go on a long bus trip, that would last a week. Before he left, he gave Sarah seven apples. Why?

An apple a day, keeps the Doctor away.

 

Sending smiles.

 

 

 

 

 

  

No comments: