translate

Friday 8 September 2017

SHORT STORY REVIEW (THE BET) BY FIONA CUMMINGS


I was talking with my dear friend yesterday over the phone from India, I was given to talk with his Father who is an eloquent gentleman in his eighties. My friend’s Father was an English Professor and is passionate about books. He put the question to me. “Have you read Chekhov?”” Shamefully I replied no. my grey matter headed towards more like Pushkin! He asked me to read the book and come back to him with my opinion, so here is my synopsis.  

The Bet

Anton Chekhov

At a dinner party hosted by a Banker, the discussion came up between the guests regarding the death penalty. One guest, a young Lawyer, was appalled by the suggestion of such matters and said he would rather spend time in prison rather than have his life ended. The banker mocked the Lawyer betting with him that if he spent a few years in a solitary confinement, he would give him 2,000,000 Roubles! The Lawyer boasted he would in fact be locked away for 15 years. So, the bet was started. The young Lawyer was locked in one of the lodges in the Bankers large garden.

 

The banker is a weak man who is nothing without money. The Loyer is depicted as a very intelligent man hence why he is able to read so many books whilst in solitary confinement and being able to learn new skills shows he has an open mind. Some say he threw away his life of 15 years, whereas others say he enhanced his life by learning music, in his case, the piano. He learned languages as well as chemistry, medicine, philosophy and many more subjects, teaching himself that being alone is actually beneficial, though I would say one has to have a high level of intelligence as if you have a brain which doesn’t starve for education and the arts, then what would you do for 15 years?

  

Though the Lawyer went through a few years of depression and loneliness, he came through the other side when he came to the conclusion that he had to fill his days with the above activities.

 

Conclusion, the Lawyers moral compass was towards avarice and may be this was because of greed, or naivety but it does show that life’s experiences are more valuable than the gift of fortune. When I say experiences, one can receive values and knowledge from books and convers, in the Lawyers case, reading took him all over the globe and beyond with his biblical studies.

 

Moral of this short story. There are other things in life that make people rich rather than money such as experiences wisdom and moreover self-belief and the ability to be gifted with forgiveness! And imagination comes in useful too as during those lonely times, you can recall on fables perhaps or imagine oneself a Knight on horseback or a God making decisions that are far beyond human ability

   Personal note

I would have to give him some money. If I were the Banker, my life would be of someone imprisoned for each day I would take a breath, as to live with such guilt to be a part of that man’s life locked away, would slowly kill me though of course the Lawyer would argue that his days were spent wisely.

 

No comments: