translate

Tuesday 19 September 2017

THE GIFT OF A BABY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


THE GIFT OF A BABY

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

 

Where did you come from, my dear?

Who sent you to me, I cheer

I am to protect you, and keep you near

To love you forever and a day

To blow all your troubles away

Under the sun watch you play

And keep you safe by night

Teach you what’s right

And what’s wrong in the world, I shall give you lessons

You are my littlest blessing

Wrap around fingers

And curled up tows

Eyes so true

A smile of a budded rose

 And button nose

Where will this world take you?

No one knows

Until your wings come along

I shall carry on

Loving you with all my heart

Until the day we part

When that day comes

And you need to run

I will be here for when you return

To listen to what you have learned

To imagine what you have seen

Places you have been

Fun you have had

And when you become a Dad

I shall watch as if through a mirror

You hold your baby close to you

As your eyes meet, so true

You too, will say these words

“I shall be here for you little one

Until you fly as free as a bird””

Generations have all heard

Such words

We pass down our love

As the gift of a baby

Truly comes from above

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

No comments: