translate

Friday 3 June 2016

IF YOU COULD BE BY FIONA CUMMINGS

 
A lovely friend of mine was on a social network group I’m involved with yesterday, and asked the question. “How would your life be, if you could see?”  If RP hadn’t have got in the way? Would you do the same profession?

 

An interesting concept. So if I could see from birth rather than be what I used to be, partially sighted? My life would have been so completely different. When I think back now as a person who is now blind, I just think as an adult, what would I do if I could have seen perfectly all of my life, what profession I would have entered in? Psychology for sure in some way, also teaching, whether or not I would have combined the two? Not sure. Now of course these days, if you are blind, there is no reason why these two professions could not be yours I know teachers who are blind and I know a very good Psychologist who is totally blind, so these professions in normal circumstances wouldn’t change. But with my background, sadly this wasn’t an option.

 

There will be Doctors out there or truck drivers who find out that they can no longer do their occupation because of their sight loss, or deterioration in vision. For sure their job outlook will have to change. As a person who is facing blindness now, it’s best to prepare for your future, you may never ever have to follow through with your plans, but if you do, then you are prepared. For me sight loss wasn’t something I would ever come to grips with. It wouldn’t happen to me. I needed my sight too much and my God wouldn’t be so cruel, right?

Wrong. I also believe that if I had not lost my sight, I wouldn’t have met my now Husband. The love of my life. My soul mate. Again, circumstances. Life’s situations.

 

Since meeting Hub he has taught me so much about life as a blind person. I am at peace in my heart and my life isn’t obsessed by only seeing. And to see through blind eyes as you would as a sighted person, is physically impossible, and emotionally challenging. This doesn’t mean to say I pray each day for a cure. Or at least some sight, sight like I used to have even. Because there is no doubt about it, life would be so much easier with sight than without. Now there are people who will completely disagree with this and say that if they were given the choice of sight, they would turn it down. It is my belief that those people either live with family members who can see, have enough money to pay for what they need, or have had to tell themselves that they will never see to get to the stage they are in life now. Some kind of acceptance?

 

I have spoken before about how it was much worse emotionally knowing my eye condition would become where I one day was blind and the waiting for that day was too unbearable, so I taught myself to believe it would never happen, a bit like the ostrich burying his head in the sand!

 

Once I got over the terror, and it was terrifying, life changing for sure but only life changing after some years as before then, I didn’t want to change my life. I wasn’t ready to change. I simply refused. I was in total shock. My rug had been pulled away from me and my skin had been torn off in a violent manner. I had been kicked out in the bitter icy winter of life and summer would never return. What was a laugh?

 A memory that even hurt to think about. As to hear myself laughing in my mind, was a sound that was so far from reality now days.

 

To never be able to see my baby’s face again. My Son would stay one in my memory. Never to see his little face in his school concerts, you know when children look out for you, for some kind of reassurance and comfort that their parent is in the room watching them, making them feel pride and proud. The child has pride that he or she is in this play at school doing what they are doing, and the child knows that their parent is smiling so very proud to know and see that their child is on the stage.

 

As a blind parent, the school plays were heart breaking. I knew my Son was watching out for me coming, knowing that I was not there to see him, as he knew I couldn’t. If he didn’t have a talking part, what was there for me?

 

Not to see your child’s face on Christmas morning as he opened his gifts or to be able to take all of the photographs you want as a parent would take of their child.

 

This world is very visual. But as I have always written about, I spent the weekend with business men and women who were all blind. This was some years ago. It was at a conference and the building was in a forest. I wanted time to stand still and stay there forever. When Hub and I go to visit our friends who are blind, I’m so happy, because we are all alike and not judged. It was when I was abroad at the conference a taste of freedom. We had so much fun that weekend. There was the serious side of life but after working hours, we played smile. We had a member of staff who brought his guitar, or thinking back, there was a guitar at the venue. He and Hub sang played music and it was one of those kind of situations like around the camp fire. There was a lovely herb garden, we all enjoyed the fragrance. No one was there looking. I didn’t feel hard done by because I couldn’t see what they were pointing at, or chatting about how beautiful something was. We all saw the same. I have never been in that situation again and doubt I ever will be.

 

When I had sight, waiting, just waiting for that dreaded day, the day that the Doctors told me would happen at the age of four. Waiting for the curtains to close and never open. The time when I wouldn’t be able to get out the house on my own. I wouldn’t be able to pick up a book and read it or watch the TV. Look at the food in the fridge or freezer or in the cupboard to see what there was to eat. As for cooking?

 

I panict I told myself that day wouldn’t ever come.

But it did.

 

 Fixing the measurements on a baby’s bottle, to change his nappy now blind, was hell. Making sure he went to his little nursery as he got older in matching clothes? So much had to change. To turn around as you hear footsteps to see who it was, but it was no one, not until they spoke. Even then unless they said their name, as before I would recognise Helens fair hair or Jacks smile. I wouldn’t need an almost introduction.

 

Its when you have got there, reached the door of the forever darkness, that you learn new ways. It’s really hard, you go through a very deep depression. There are times when you are very much alone. You lose all of your sighted friends. You are now the different one. The person no one speaks to. They can see the grief in your face.  your heart is on your sleeve. They can’t cope with your sadness. Their lacking in compassion and understanding perhaps intelligence forbids them from communication. Fear to speak with you in case you ask for help. How can they help you, what if they did something wrong? Would it interfere with their lives? The majority of people are selfish. We live for ourselves.

 

But when you get out and about, whether you get someone to pick you up, OK you now have to pay for lifts. When you could see, your friends would collect you, but now you are blind. You are the person who has a disability badge before your name, you are no longer Fiona, but the blind girl as I was once a girl, though many moons ago now.

 

You join all the groups with people who are also blind, but you hate those groups. They are full of labels. You are still the intelligent person you were before sight loss, just your eyes don’t work now. You still can laugh; you would learn how to do that later on along the track. You still fancy your preference in either same or opposite sex. Yes, blind people have sex, and I can tell you, as a person who is blind, sex with a sighted person in comparison to a person without sight, is so different. Better with a person without sight, in my experience. Of course I can only speak of one sighted person and one blind. As far as sexual relationships, in my past I had a lot of boyfriends as way way back I was a pretty girl, so I was told and when I looked in the mirror, I never complained… Mind you, now if I was to get my sight back, gosh, I think I would need a chair… I don’t think I would be impressed. But sighted boyfriends, they were really handsome guys. Then I met my second Husband, and boy, how I fell in love. He says he never fell out of love with me, as we knew one an other at school, but that is the charm of my love. I guess what I am saying, we are like you, we are not different. We can’t see, so may need directing on where we need to be, or a friendly person to shop with to make our lives easier, but we are you.

 

When we are talking with you, do we see your damaged heart? Do we see you have an ulcer in your stomach? I don’t know you don’t have cancer? Do I know you have a splitting head ache this day and all words I’m saying are getting all mixed up? Just my disability, a word I hate, is visual to you. Ironically.

 

We still bleed, we hurt, we cry. But when we have been to the school of the blind life, we too laugh, in fact laugh until our stomachs hurt, but in a good way. We still need love and need to love you. We are the best parents. And true friends but we also have such challenges in life that could almost disappear if those in the sighted world met us half way.

 

If I was born with full sight. I wouldn’t have had to go to the God forsaken boarding school I had to attend. I would have been home at nights to have dinner with my Mum, Dad and big brother. I would have been tucked in bed perhaps with a goodnight story, rather than have the cold damp hostile loneliness of boarding school dormitories from the age of six. If I had a bad day at school or as a six year old who had a fall and scraped her knee, at night, after school, My Mum or Dad would attend me and show me love. Rather than that, I had to get on with life. We had each other, our friends who were like our brothers and sisters, but our parents? They were some miles away and we even only could call home once a week so there wasn’t even a voice at the end of the phone.

 

If I could see, I wouldn’t have nightmares still today about some of the things I saw at school. I would drive a car now. How would you feel never to be able to drive? Your game of golf at the weekend would never be again? Your garden, it was grey, or full of nothingness. Your flowers were your pride. You wanted vegetables for your casserole? Your allotment or veg patch was just a patch of land where no longer you knew where to start looking for what you needed. Going for a simple walk along the coast? No more. A newly blinded person has to become someone else until they have entered the world of blindness.

 

After years you cope. If I was born sighted. I wouldn’t have won my child of courage award as a little girl, meeting so many famous people in my life, I wouldn’t have gone to Russia for twenty years seeing changes from old Russia to the perestroika and mixed with KGB and Russian mafia. I wouldn’t have sung on stage with famous people met the queen and have times like I had this morning, a later blog. But hey to see my baby grow up and to open a letter and be able to read it as it fell through my door, or to look at my Husband and see what he looks like to see your child on their wedding day, to shop for clothes in real life without having to order invisible clothes on line. I know what world I want to be in. I want to enter a restaurant of my choice, not one I know my guide dog will not be turned away from.

 

In short, I live to see, but it’s no longer my life. If you are faced with a disease that could make you blind or if you have diabetes or any other condition or even if you have lost your sight in an accident, if you are new in the blind world. Go for everything and don’t say no to new things open your mind and live outside your comfort zone because once you get comfy, you will stay still and stagnate. Don’t procrastinate keep moving.

 

For those who can see, one hundred people in the UK start to lose their sight every day. You don’t have to be born with poor sight. Just be grateful for all you have as I would love to swap you my shoes for yours. I would still have my dear friends who had no sight, but I would see for once through your eyes.

 


 

No comments: