translate

Thursday 9 June 2016

DIARY OF THE TORN BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good afternoon Bloggets. It’s another scorcher. I have been doing my volunteering this morning and this afternoon made a quick slice of toast. That was the first thing I have had to eat and that was at two. Gosh, you sighted lot are so lucky, a simple slice of toast, easy, right? Hmm. on paper yes. Through my eyes no.

 

So wiped clean work tops, all fine except it takes two hands. One with the cloth and the other to feel what I am about to swipe off the kitchen surface. I know where everything is in my kitchen so I find the bread bin, take a slice of bread out of the packet and pop into the toaster which of course I also know where this is. When I first went blind, all that had to be learned. I had to see from the front top of my brow, this sounds odd as I’m writing it, as I have never thought about this in such minuscule description before now trying to explain it.

 

My head is like a room. It’s rather dark in there and each part of my head has boxes and so on with different things in it to come out when needed. So when I am trying to see, because my vision doesn’t work, I see the top of my mind at the front and see what used to be in colour but sadly my imagination is now seeing in a lot of browns and blacks unless I paint the colours on as I’m imagining like I did the sky yesterday.

 

So I can put out my hand and touch my toaster place the bread in and still see shapes in my head. I took the butter from the fridge, normally that is at the front of any shelf where people put it.

 

I took the butter out and placed it on the counter as I did so, I placed it on my plate but because I didn’t want it to touch my plate, I quickly lifted it up and placed it to the right.  Got my knife took out the toast and placed it right on my plate, went to the right to find the butter? No butter. Come on, I just put it to the right of my plate? Hmm. No. After almost losing the will to eat, and what seemed to be more than a minute and a half, in reality, it probably was forty seconds, I found the butter. It wasn’t the plate I had put it on, it was the hob top. So it was much further to the right than my plate, something just has to be ten inches off what I am looking for and I can miss it. All done, eaten and everything put away.

 

Groomed Waggatail and played with her toy in the garden. She loves playing catch. Our dogs are so good. She brings it right back and puts it in my hand.

 

Those of you who read about the delivery of my huge blanket box yesterday have been wondering where it ended up? No, not on the garbage tip, it’s actually growing on me. Hub came in with the ever so cheerful Little Fella,  and looking shattered as just come off a train, he went to get changed. Oh heck… The box was now on the landing. I thought it looked great there, right in the middle. You could walk around it. Our landing is like another room it’s so big. As big as one of the rooms.

 

Well, just before Hub got home, Teen decided to iron. Right on the landing to join the box making it look rather crowded, just in time for Hub coming home… Well, Hub and teen talked about it as I kept out of the way. I heard Hub saying.

“Obviously Son it’s not going to stop here?”

Hahaha. Em. Yes?

Teen replied. No…

Oh.

Hub told teen he thought it was lovely. Teen asked about the sticky varnish and Hub said it would dry by the morning… Well, he was right, it’s dry. I still wish it had not been varnished though as I like wood to feel like wood. Not plastic coated.

 

Well, Hub and I moved it last night to where the joiner and teen had already originally placed it. Smile. Only this time, I had three quarter filled it.

 

It’s really well made, just I wanted it to be exactly like our other furniture. You know what I mean? OK, I do have a touch of OCD…

 

My skirt came for the wedding… As long as I don’t breathe or sit in it I should be fine… Not sure how one will perform during the meal! As for Teen? He at last tried on his suit. Oh my word. He

paid a fortune last year for it for a job interview which he got, though he only stayed for a few weeks, and didn’t wear it again for the job, so has never had it on since. I knew it would be tight, but never thought it would be that tight? Let’s just say, I want grand children in the future, and not sure after a wedding day wearing this suit, it will be possible?

 

So teen has said that he will wear shorts to drive there and back… Hub said he is going in his joggers too. Oh my lord. It’s only a couple of hours drive. We are not travelling to France by horse and cart. So, we are all turning up in casuals but me… I would die if anyone saw me get out of the car. Imagine the scene. It’s the venue, staff are looking out of the windows. First car pulls up.

“Looks like first guest’s guys?”

Out gets Teen in shorts. Then me with a white hairy dog for their carpets as I’m in the front with the Little fella as last time all of us got in Teens car, I almost needed a tin opener to get out of the back. Teen get’s out with shorts on. I’m standing there big smile on my face holding onto a happy Little Fella who obviously doesn’t have his harness on when in transport. So a happy dog shall we say. Then they look at me and see my skirt has split. Flashing Fi let’s Hub out with joggers on. They come to greet us. We announce looking at Hub, he is the singer and pianist!! Hehehehehehehehe.

 

Oh, gosh…

Right, need to go out this afternoon and I can hear among the dreadful amounts of traffic out my garden, the sounds a person without sight doesn’t want to hear. Sounds of workmen with drills and other machinery. Digging up the path where I need to go?

I have to go out, it’s not a choice. This route is the easiest. If I have to go the other way, it’s going to be a nightmare. I’m not too sure of it and it’s the way to the park so Waggatail will really not be on her best working behaviour. Will we end up in the local zoo like last time? Oh please let the workmen be across the other side of the road? But walking towards that noise is going to be daunting.

 

Will let you know how we get on later. X

No comments: