translate

Monday 10 August 2015

THE DIARY OF THE GRANDFATHER CLOCK


Good day or evening as it’s rather late here. This is the first time I have had chance to visit my Bloggets today. It’s been one of those days, you know? A day where you just don’t know why? Where or what. As though in a dream all day. Then Hub came home from work. Oh he was so ill. He was up all night. His normal eye/face pain. He hasn’t been this ill for at least half a year. When we first met it was every single day and a lot of hospital visits. Thankfully now no hospitals but still everyday pain, but, not agonising like it was six years ago. Though, last night, it started to head that way. He was groaning all night. I felt so helpless. I was up and down getting him water and pain killers. Putting a cool cloth on him and just loving him. He went to work this morning like a zombie I thanked God that he was going by taxi as if he were to use public transport, it would have been so dangerous.

 

He came home at his normal time of half five and I gave him his dinner. I cooked pork steaks, roast potatoes parsnips and mushy peas. For the boys. I had vegetarian pork cutlets and they were lovely. Baked potatoes with the veg but not the same pot as the boys, as their parsnips and potatoes were cooked with the pork.

 

I ran Hub a bath whilst he had a cup of tea then after that about eight this evening he went to bed for a hopefully goodnight sleep.

 

So here I am. I have just finished working. I was totally out of touch today with the real world. Worrying about my love wasn’t good for the mind. Now I know he is safe and looked after, I can relax. My teen is out and about. Where? Well only above knows and he’s she’s or it’s not telling me. I know some of the people who are with him. But that is it. Oh it was awful. Hub invited him to a music share thing and as teen was looking through it; he began to delete picture sharing and location sharing. Really, firstly we can’t see the flipping pictures and I don’t think I would want to look at them. Secondly what is the issue with knowing where he is if he is not up to trouble? Hmm. Really really wound me up.

 

He cleaned the bird cage out today at my request. He told me about a crack in the bottom of the cage when the dogs knocked it over and that was with Hubs help. Well, I didn’t know about this crack, and now I’m panicking. Really. It’s been like that for months now. The sand paper envelope was left on my lovely glass TV unit. The bird bath on the kitchen table. How hygienic. He does bare minimum. I asked him to put two plants in the garden and weed it for me I was going to pay him. The sun was bright. It was a lovely day. He said as ever later. I guess that was better than no. Well, he got up. Ate, went to the gym, came back ate more, went into our gym and guess what? The heavens opened and the rain fell down.

No plants again and no weeding. Well no money for him.

 

He ate dinner, thanked me for it and left dishes and all before heading off to the shower to go out. Lovely. This really is a boarding house.

 

So who is saying they wouldn’t have it? Hmm. Do you have a teen aged between fifteen and nineteen? If not, wait…. If yes, please contact me. Smile.

 

My poor dog isn’t well. I don’t know if it is the injection she had at the vets or the flipping bone we bought her. Well never ever again will I buy a dog bone? My friend was telling me he said the same some months ago. We don’t know why dog bones have changed but they have. My Waggatail has been so ill and Longchops has had the oddest colour of you know what, according to Hubs colleagues. Hehehe. I wonder is that part of the job description? Well, its sweet that they tell him as how would we know? I’m so angry with the pet shop and won’t be buying that for sure again.

 

Mr. Clock phoned me up today. He is so funny. He is a friend from school. Oh my word. If you could see his house? It’s really a working living museum from the Victorian days.

 

Old Bloggets will know Mr. Clock because I have written about him before he has so many clocks. Today he was telling me that he was going to another auction to buy a Granddaughter clock. A what? I have never heard of one of those, have you? So a Grandfather Grandmother and now Granddaughter well why not Grand Son? And whatever happened to a mother and father clock?

 

So this is what I now know about the good old clocks.

In 1875, An American songwriter named Henry Work, checked into the George hotel in North Yorkshire England. In the lobby, there was a large pendulum clock that belonged to the Inns previous owners, whom had both died. The clock was said to have stopped    on the minute that the last surviving owner died.

 

Work decided that this was a great story and wrote a song based on it. The song was called “My Grandfathers clock.

 

One million copies of this song was sold in sheet music and eventually the term (Grandfather clock) became synonymous  

 with this style of clock which inspired the song.

 

My Grandfathers clock was too short for the shelf

So it stood 90 years on the floor

It was taller by half than the old man himself

But it weighed not a penny weight more

It was born on the morn of the day he was born

It was always his treasure and pride

But it stopped, short, never to go again

When the old man died

Ninety years without slumbering

Tick tock tick toc

His life’s seconds numbering

Ticktock tick tock it stopped, short

Never to go again.

When the old man died

 

“Few, you know when you start to write something and you wonder why? Well if you want to know the rest of the words, please check out the link as the rest of the words are so lovely. So interesting and remind me of my dear friend I call DD/YED from Mexico. The link is


 

A Grandmother clock is slimmer and shorter that the Grandfather and the Granddaughter clock are about waist height and more modern about 1930s. I still don’t know whatever happened to the parent clocks and it’s too late, I’m too tired to do research…. Perhaps for another day.

 

The house is warm tonight though the windows have been open all day. We had so much rain today but it didn’t clear the air.

 

I sware the freshest air in the country is Northumberland the North East of England. Even when we went to the south of France, the air wasn’t what I would call clean. One day I bet our lovely air will just die. So much pollution. I can see our land ending up under domes. What a thought!

Well as its approaching the pumpkin hour, should I take to my bed? Hmm. Not before midnight according to Samuel Johnson, who said

Whoever thinks going to bed before twelve o’clock is a scoundrel.

 

Hehehe. No more words are needed. Hush little mouths no cheek from you today? Smile, sleep love and dream. X

No comments: