translate

Friday 21 August 2015

DURHAM CATHEDRAL PART ONE


I’m typing fast as have to sleep earlier than the norm. Up early tomorrow. We are off again on our travels. But today? Well, we got to the train station. Now it’s Ladies day at the races, only thing is, people have forgot to tell the females who are attending the horse racing that to enter “Ladies day” you have to be a lady?

 

Oh really some women in our country are shameful. Ladies? I don’t think so. But tomorrow, oh that will be hell on earth. It’s the busiest race day throughout the year and I quote so many people I spoke with today. “The gypsies are coming” They have such a bad reputation they fight shout swear steal and more. And guess who’s going back to the train station? Yep, Fifi Blogget and Hub, but this time, LC is joined by little Waggatail. God help me. She will freak out. Oh I’m dreading it. She is a country bumpkin like her Mummy and doesn’t do town. But towns with the Gypsies?

 

Extra police are on duty and the staff at the station are dreading it.

 

Well tomorrow is tomorrow and I’m excited to see our friends. We are meeting up with our dear Trix and the Like man. They also are blind and I sent them a Tex saying

“We will meet with you in Newcastle you will know it’s us as we will have a daffodil in our lapel.

Oh. And a couple of guide dogs will be by our side.”

Trix replied saying she would be carrying the Guardian newspaper under her arm. Haha. Thing is, if none of us talk, we could be standing next to each other and not have a clue.

 

Anyway, tomorrow is tomorrow. Another day another blog. As for today?

 

We got to our seats on the train,  and though Hub and I didn’t sit next to each other we both had the company of other passengers. I was sat next to a man who entertained me I was telling him we were going to see our daughters singing in the Cathedral choir and that was fine, until he asked me what kind of performances they gave. Well, “Churchy stuff? Haha really, say what? Oh heck it was all going so well. A boastful Mummy about her chicks and then the question? I mean, I am clueless when it comes to Cathedrals. Choirs. I was in the choir all of my school life we went abroad to perform and I was in singing groups. But as for the girls? Well, they are in a cathedral choir so what kind of music would they sing other than churchy stuff, right? But I’m sure that wasn’t the correct answer. I’m sure I should have sounded more knowledgeable and a little more cultured. And possibly have replied. A Choral recital of  Bach’s St Matthew Passion, we will also be privileged to Hymnus Paradisi, but to be honest, I would be in fear he would have offered me some ointment or at the very least, a pain killer? I don’t know what kind of music the girls would be singing. Just know they were and we were going to see them as Hub loves that kind of music and we wanted to see them singing together.

 

Said bye bye to the nice man and on our way we went. Got to the taxi rank and a very sweet elderly man drove us to the cathedral.

 

Well as we left the car and walked up the wide pathway with grass and trees at each side of us, I almost cried.

 

The sweet air of the North East. My home my dear place of birth. The air. I was like a junky walking towards the bells. Snorting the air as we walked. I found it incredulous that to travel an hour away made the difference of the fragrance. Where I live it is as polluted as is the South in fact even when we went to France, near the beach, the air was not good in comparison to the North.

 

Well, what happened next? I will let you know when I get some shut eye but it did make me pleased that I have left the North East.

No comments: