translate

Friday 7 August 2015

DIARY OF A KICK FROM THE PAST


Strange things going on in the family. Can’t really say what, but I want to say so much to the person/people involved. It’s not like me to have to keep my mouth closed. OK I understand on here, but to the person/people in the environment of a house? Hub said I have to say nothing at all. Grrr. But like a bubble, I’m ready to burst. Watching a car about to crash and I could stop it but been told not to. Why should I do as I’m told? Hmm. I love my Hub and he is rational, I’m not. I’m so flighty. Flighty Fi, that’s what I am. Or is that flirty Fi? Hahahehehe.

 

So, hands tied lips sealed and just watch. Then pick up the pieces.

 

My boy happy working hard, he has just come in after a game of tennis. He is starving. Again. How is he so slim? Mind you his Father is too and he could out eat anyone. My mum loved him as she loved to feed people and my ex loved getting fed. I wonder if he misses my Mums cooking like I do? Some days I so wish I was with my Mum visited eating her Sunday dinners. Oh they were so good. I was home. There is nothing better than knowing you have a home. For me, at boarding school, it was so hostile. To finish your day at school. All you want to do is go home to your parents. To walk through the door and smell your tea/dinner ready for you. To see the coal fire, all cosy to know you are going to have love. Well, we finished school; we had to go to a cold damp dormitory take off our uniform into casual clothes. Go down to a so called tea. Hmm. Oh my word. It was the worst food. So small. So nasty like a scoop of baked beans and they were always cold. And a spam fritter. It was horrible. On plastic plates with a cup of tea if you were lucky, you got a slice of bread and butter. End of until the next morning for breakfast. Sometimes we got so called supper which was again a slice of bread and butter with a plain biscuit and a cup of milk, but that wasn’t every day. Breakfast was cereal again bread. One slice. Lunch, one small bit of meat, two potatoes and a tiny scoop of cabbage or peas. Oh, and a glass of water.

 

My Husbands school secondary was so much better. He sometimes got a cooked breakfast. Wow, we never even got that at weekends.

 

So five in the evening we would finish our food, and then have duties to do. Polish shoes and if we were naughty, we got other jobs to do. My dear friend Mandy and I always had the extra work to complete. Haha. What did we do? Well, Mandy was lippy, but so cute when she was, me? Really, it was so pathetic; I can’t honestly say what I did wrong. I was always too scared of my own shadow.

 

I think it was because I hung out with Mandy. Birds of a feather and all.

 

The colours of boarding school houses were so depressing. The sounds of echoes and the absolute boredom. The ache for my family the lump in my throat was awful! We were allowed to phone home once a week. For only five minutes. We had letter writing days and we could only put in what they agreed with. One time I wrote to my Mum that I wasn’t allowed to wear the new t/shirt that my Aunt bought me. I thought nothing of it closed my letter book, to return to it to get it checked by our teacher, we even had to buy our own stamps and those were the days when they were 11 and a half pence. Now? I’m not sure I think about 65p. As I went out it was break time, I was called back to the class room. The matron was waiting for me. I hated that woman. She lived her life sadistically sucking on glass. She had black staring cruel eyes, she had her soul removed at birth and her heart was replaced with bullets she would shoot at you.

 

She wore an underskirt that sounded like it was made from rubber. When she walked, it made a swish sound. So when I used to hear her coming, I couldn’t see her as she would be around a corner, but oh my heart sunk I had Goosebumps. The cold fear ran through my veins. She was unnecessarily nasty her manner was nefarious, with her needle like narrow nose, with a pointy chin and twisted mouth, which completed the look of the angry antagonistic person she was. Now days she would be jailed for her crimes. I could write a book on her cruelty. Even her malevolent mouth was full of hatred. Her voice is still in my head after over thirty years. Her throat sounded as as though it had been cut whilst she had been swallowing razor blades.

 

So what did she want? To tell me she had ripped up my letter and I was to re write it all again. I wasn’t to say that I was not allowed to wear my t/shirt. As she stood behind me, watching every single word I wrote, she dug me in the shoulder blades and as my hand shook in total fear I made mistakes I otherwise wouldn’t have. So she waited until I had written the letter out again and showed me a mistake I did right at the start of the letter, and then stood in front of me black eyes burning through my soul feeding me with poison. She turned up her lips showing her porcelain teeth and hissed as she tore up the second letter. I was to re write it again, this time I felt so ill. My eyes were burning. I could see clear in those days, but not good enough to write a lot of words. I could only see part of one letter at a time. So you can imagine how long it took me to write, my eyes were as though had been rubbed with lemon juice. I did the letter again, this time she told me my hand writing wasn’t good enough as I went off the lines. Yes, this is because I was partially sighted. A thing they made no allowances for at that school. Though it was officially a school for those with little sight.

 

For this crime of my letter, I had to visit detention for a week. Every night after our so called meal. A time when as a child, I should have been playing out with friends, or watching TV with my family. The walk to the class was long and scary. In the winter there were trees with finger like branches. In the cobalt clouds, I saw shadows only. My eye condition prevented me from having any good or useful vision in the dusk or dark.

 

Our school at the girls end was so quiet. As I would pass by the boys building, that was so different. I used to envy the boys. They had games, a full size pool table too. They had a football field for summer where as we had nothing, a car park with a hop scotch and a bench to sit on. It was like a ghost town the girls section.

 

My friends Mandy and Julie would sit and talk. Knowing that bed time was on its way, for some an escape. For me, I just didn’t sleep well at all and when I did, I had horrendous nightmares.

 

No Mum to run to during the night, if we wanted any kind of support, we would quietly call one of our friends in the dormitory. If we got heard though, there was serious trouble.

 

The teachers like the ones at my first school where I met my lovely Hub, were great, apart from one, who was involved with children in a way that was, and is, very wrong. The rest of them were so lovely. But the house staff were cold and hard. From one extreme to the other. I witnessed things at my school that I would never ever want any child to see or even know about.

 

The head teacher was seriously involved. Head master as he was known as. As I have written about before, the things that were done to the girls were done to poor kids who were not very intelligent. Sadly for them, they were badly abused. I hate my memories. I can box them, but the lid keeps coming off. Because of Bording School I’m a mess for life, but, now, I don’t have fear when I try to sleep. I used to be scared of so much. They can’t hurt me now, neither the house staff or anyone else who did in my past. I’m away from all of that. As for living in fear of blindness? Well, I went through that and I’m over that bridge. It took years but now I’m here on the other side of the river, I can breathe a sigh of relief. It can’t get any worse. We live with our blindness. Before when I was waiting for it to happen, it was the unknown. I know it now and I can take the bull by the horns and hang on tightly.

 

No bull will throw me off and the evil matron, well, she can slowly rot in hell when it’s her time to go.  As for her Husband? Who also worked at our school, well, he too will visit the devil as they are all related. I’m astonished that there has not been some kind of investigation into their behaviours.

 

OK, how did we get here? Not sure, let me go to the top of the page and see what I was on about.

 

I’m back. So my Mums Sunday lunches…. I do miss them. I still can smell them and taste them. She used to serve buckets of Yorkshire puddings. Yummy. I loved them. Then a game of cards with my Dad. Bless him. He was so cute. So loving and had a face full of laughter and endearing attribute’s.

  

As a parent I do wonder what my child will remember about me. Do I really want to know? I try to be a good Mum and when my boy was little, it was easy. I loved him more than I have ever loved anyone in my life. Now he is older, it’s so difficult to please him. Teens are so angry. I’m not surprised the music they listen to.

 

I hope my Son will know I loved him so much and only wanted the best for him. I hope one day he will come with his wife and I can cook for them. He will look forward to certain kinds of foods that only me, his Mum can do well. Now, then, what will that be? Oh heck….. Though bless him, he is always so grateful to whatever I cook him. He went through a funny stage last year, but that was the stupid person he was with at the time. Filling his head with rubbish. She eats out of a cookery book as she has no imagination of her own. So her narrow mind, rubbed off on my boy, luckily he realised what she was doing and that all stopped. Now he is so kind and truly grateful for the meals I put on the table.

 

Tonight’s was fish cuscus with Mediterranean

 Roasted veg. We as a family are really enjoying those vegetables at the moment. Roasted tomatoes, squash, courgettes garlic shallots baby corn and mushrooms.  Now, there is a word for you? Mediterranean. Gosh, I always struggle spelling that word.

 

 

I had it all but not the fish. 

 

OK I best go this isn’t the blog I was going to write about. Gosh, it is a rather depressing one? Well, take some positive from it. I’m out of that place and I am a survivor. I have my boots on now and I can kick. I won’t take any rubbish. Yes a part of my brain has memories I would love to forget, but such is life. As I say to my friends, if this life is a stage for our act to go on to bigger theatres, well, I should appear at the West end. Main character. Hahah. Tomorrow, there will be some news on how we did the vet trip. Oh heck….. Wish me luck? And in a couple of weeks, we have a bigger journey to do to our school friends. Can’t wait to see them but getting there? Not sure how that will work out. Until tomorrow, sleep well, don’t let anyone put you down. Don’t be in fear of anyone. You are so much better than that. If you are being kicked to the floor, bite the feet of those doing it to you. Climb up, show them you are strong and won’t take it. If you are down, on the ground, there is only one way you can go, and that is up. Come on, get up and stand up for yourself. Don’t wait for someone else to do it for you. X

No comments: