translate

Monday 27 July 2015

WE ARE OFF PART TWO


We had arrived at the Euro tunnel and time to show passports.

 

That moment when you go through the tunnel thing that checks if you are wearing any underwear?

 Oh no. I mean to see if you are carrying anything dodgy. You normally can’t go through with anyone so walk in a streight line? I haven’t been drinking sir, honestly.

Well, we passed with flying colours. All excited. Children were buzzing. Our youngest was so happy and it was great to see. Our eldest also laughing with the girls. We were all so happy. My eldest girl guided me the little one Hub and teen was the weight lifter with cases.

 

 Sounds so foreign and up and down steps and moving escalators. Rushing to catch our train to Paris. Well, our second of many trains to come.

 

It was different to get onto in comparison to our trains in the UK. Oh but the seats were so good. Best thing was the French transport. Oh I want to go back as I write this. I could jump with happiness. Anyway, we drank and ate and laughed. The only down side was the pain in my knees. My Husband is convinced that I have water retention. I was in agony. But two and a half hours later we were in gay Paree!

 

Off the train with our luggage. All children in counting. Oh that was so good and wait to see what was about to happen? Well on to the ticket office. We did research before we left; well I did to see where the ticket office or machine would be. We found one. It wasn’t working, so to the next one. Got our tickets for the dreaded French Metro.

 

A long walk how we found it where we needed to be? Well, with our brains and the kids’ eyes and knowledge as specially the little one, we did it. Oh it was hilarious. My big girl, not that she is, she is like a delicate flower, and I walked through passing by a person wanting our money. Haha. Hub and the little one passed, and then we looked back, oh who is entertaining the person? Our Son. Our girls shouted on their brother to tell him not to sign anything. Too late. Hheheheahah.

 Really, bless him. Well we saved him from being conned and on our way. Oh the tube in Paris is disgusting. My girl told me that there was urine everywhere. The smell was gross. People were unwashed too. Body odour was all around. And in the heat?

 

There were soldiers with guns. I was in fear for the safety of our kids but we all kept together. Well, until it came to getting on the awful smelly tube.

 

Teen and my flower got on with me. The little one we call fairy went on with her Daddy.

 

Or did she?

 

I knew it was two stops. Thank God I knew. We got off. You have to go up and down steps on the tube onto the platform. We got off. Where was Hub and Fairy?

 

Not on our tube. Oh my word? Where were they? Well as I went into panic mode, getting out my phone, our girl told me I wouldn’t get reception. We were underground. OK, I’m a country bumpkin, alright? Hehe.

 

Well, what to do? We waited and the next tube came. Was Hub and the Fairy on? The doors opened. Our daughter said they were there, well there is Hub who is the traveller and he missed the tube. Of course we had to cause maximum embarrassment by cheering and clapping as they got off the tube.

 

OK. Onto our next step. A train to catch for the longest time yet. A four and a half hour journey to the South of France. We managed to find the correct train. Always a scary thing to do. Hoping that it is the right one. Oh that was amazing. It was a double decker train. So our seats of course were up stairs. So onto the train, down steps along and up a curly staircase. The challenges of travelling blind. Which way would it curl? Follow the rail and then to find our seats. It was so luxurious. Everyone was so well behaved. So quiet. Not like our disrespectable travellers in the UK.

 

What was out of the window? Who knows? I know that my Son told me that we were passing country side bales of hay on mass farm land. How I wished we could have seen out of the windows. Not to see expressions on other passengers faces. But sight wasn’t needed to feel the joy in my heart. But the question was, would the house exist?

 

By now we were all a little tired but running on adrenalin. We guessed that it was our turn to get off. Nothing was in English. We went by the time we were due to arrive. Off the train we got and all our cases Teen got for everyone. Along the long platform down and up more steps I was shattered. I had done more exercise in that one day than I would at home in four months.

 

How unhealthy I was. A mess to be honest. But didn’t let it get to me. No one would know how unhealthy I was feeling at that point. My weight was a huge issue but only I would know about that. Though our girl asked if I was OK on more than one occasion. So perhaps I wasn’t such a good actress after all.

 

We waited for our taxi. I had found one before I left the UK. That took some finding too. Oh my word. Because there were five of us, we couldn’t risk just getting one off the rank, in fact, would there be a taxi rank? There was, but we didn’t know this until we arrived. So a mini bus pulled up. A man asked if we were for him we said yes and in the air conditioned taxi we all climbed into. The seats were leather and the bus was so clean. A really lovely guy driving couldn’t speak English, but between us all and I had emailed the owner Ann, and given her the address, so on our way, good news was that the driver didn’t ask us “What address?” In other words, it did exist. Now, would it be a warehouse? Or a holiday home and if the latter, would there be anyone in our house?

 

Well fifteen minutes later, we arrived. Teen said it didn’t have a gate. Well the house we booked had a gate. So we found one with a gate but not a code like the one we were told. Up the drive we went. One of the girls told us there was a car in the drive.

 Oh my God. No!

More later

 

   

 

No comments: