translate

Friday 3 July 2015

#GUIDEDOGSUK


 Facts you may not have known about guide dogs in the UK.

Guide dogs UK breed over 1,300 guide dog pups each year

The average working lifetime of a guide dog is six years

When our dogs retire, they can stay with the person who has been working with them, or go to a family member or friend with the agreement of guide dogs.

We never own our dogs; they always belong to Guide Dogs. This means our dogs are always looked after to the best ability

We use a whistle before our dogs are allowed their dinner. This is so when we take them on a free run, they come back to the whistle, thinking they are going to get fed and we do take a treat for them. So we don’t lose them as of course we can’t chase them Also it is a small way we receive respect from our four legged angels. As we have ultimate respect for them and all they do for us.

 

Most people walk their guide dog on their left. I’m not sure why, I can only imagine that it is because if we are carrying our shopping for example we would normally use our right hand. But perhaps it could also be because if there is a general rule when our dogs are being trained, so train on the left, our dogs won’t be walking all over the place left to right not knowing what side they should be on? Well I’m sure I will be told the real reason by someone. Do you know why the dogs are trained on the left?

 

It costs at least £5 each day to support each guide dog partnership

The lifetime cost of a guide dog is around £50,000

 

The guide dog service receives no Government funding and relies on public support and remember that Guide dogs UK don’t just deal with our four legged friends, but blind children Uk, My Guide service too and much more

 

Do you realise how much you could help us? And what a lovely family Guide dogs UK could be to you? You could get advice by calling your local branch of Guide dogs today or looking on line on the website. There you will find out so much and I bet you come away from there amazed by what you will read. You can give as little or as much as you, want as you are in charge of your time. We are desperate for your help with (Naming a puppy) it costs as little as £1) per week.

I know when my Husband and I go over the rainbow, in a lot of years from now I hope; we will be leaving money to Guide dogs in our Will. As I have had two dogs and my Husband I think six, so between us, four hundred thousand pounds.

 

If only you knew how Guide dogs change lives. How the organisation make it possible. As I have said before, it’s not just dogs, GDUK do so much more.

http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/supportus/volunteering/what-can-i-do/#.VZbFg2eD5Yc

 

No comments: