translate

Tuesday 28 July 2015

we are off part three


So the driver waited for us. We found another gate. This one had a code. We put the numbers in that we were told. It opened. Oh few. Said thank you to the lovely driver for waiting. The drive was long, with its stones we went. Teen put the code in the box next to the door, retrieved the key and our door opened. In we all went. What would the house look like? Well the agency we booked through, kindly arranged a plan of the house in word too. Even telling us how many steps to the front door. Five in total. There were mini trees at each side of the door. The entrance hall was huge. All the floors were tiled. The kids had a bedroom each but that didn’t make a difference as they all ended up sharing anyway. That was cute they all got on so well. Hub and I were delighted about that. It was the most natural thing. My Son really looked out for his little step sisters too and they loved him. It was a dream. A wonderful dream for hub and myself. To have all of our kids under one roof. To hear them laughing and to just be able to relax. The kitchen was great, the cooker was impossible for us to switch on as it was a touch one like we have at home, but the one at home you can feel a tiny mark where the buttons on the glass are, but on this one, nothing at all. We went down the two steps into the living room. Thankfully we were pre told of these. Or it could have been nasty. The living room was basic but clean and had comfortable sofas and UK TV. The kitchen had everything in and all such good quality. We wanted for nothing. Our bedroom was lovely, again nothing fancy, but so clean. This is the main thing for me. The house was a cottage for fishermen and it is cream with blue wooden French shutters on the outside of the windows.  Our eldest daughter had her own bathroom as did we. The children were so excited. Oh we went into the garden, the trees were lit up. The garden furniture was beautiful. There was a shed with everything in to entertain the kids. There was a full size table tennis under a shelter. The shed had bags or sacks of giant Jenga. There was a BBQ too. And then for the cream. A swimming pool. Oh wow. Our very own pool. There is nothing worse when you can’t see and you are in a public pool you are so afraid to bump into anyone. The water was cool but lovely. There was even an outdoor shower. It was rather private too the garden that is, not the shower…

 

The little fairy was squealing with joy. My heart jumped with joy and the air was full of joy. Yes. The hard work was worth it. Now, what to do on   holiday?

 

Well, we went along where our house was; now time to see if the agency we booked through told us the truth about the location? Was it a seven minute walk to everything in the little fishing village? Out of our gate we went. Along the little road by the side of the canal. Oh the weather was beautiful. Really, we have not had a summer in England this year. And the odd few nice days when we have not needed our heating on, to sit in our garden isn’t pleasant.

 

This air was fresh. The smells were stunning. The little cafes and other eateries along the way were so welcoming. But we found our treasure. A restaurant we went down some wooden steps onto a platform with the ocean beneath our table and enjoyed a delightful meal. Well the other four did. Me? Vegetarian? France don’t do vegetarian meals. But a Pizza was good enough, as especially with the olives and delicious French bread. With the wonderful musicians playing in the background and the waves lapping and the little birds and crickets singing and dancing in the night air. This was the start of our holiday.

 

The next day we took the kids horse riding. We used the same taxi company to go there. It was so inexpensive to go horse riding. I didn’t put the poor horse through such pain nor did Hub. We waited in the reception. Got eaten by horse flies and listened to English music on the radio. We were put at ease when we learned that our kids had riding hats on and the girls even wore protective jackets because they were under eighteen. Funny, so if you are eighteen or over, doesn’t matter if you break your bones? ….

 

I must say I have never been to such a clean riding school. As soon as there was a dreadful smell, it was cleaned up. There wasn’t even a horse smell and in that heat?  It could have been awful.

 

The children were taken through the forest for an hour. I wasn’t too worried as I knew they were all together. They got back happy and my Son couldn’t walk. It was rather funny.

 

We went back to our little village and enjoyed the pool. Then we went on a boat ride. It was OK. It was a sailing boat. That was for Hub. I must say I normally love boats, but this one had to be the most uncomfortable boat I have ever been on.  

 

Oh it was at first annoying then I had to just chill. There was an elderly lady who just kept coming up to me and taking my hands and moving me. What’s all that about? Okay, in my limited French, I understood that she was keeping me out of the sun as I’m so fair. But the ridiculous thing was, she was actually putting me in the sun more?  Then the boatman asked me if I needed any of his sun tan cream? I told him I had put lots on before I came on board. Well, funny thing my Son who is also blonde and fair didn’t get bothered. I was moved about six times and I did get cross as though they thought they were meaning well, would you go up to a sighted person take them by the hands and walk them to another seat? No. You wouldn’t.  Anyway I was polite. Our eldest daughter kept coming to see if we were OK bless her. The kids were at the back. Like all naughty children. Haha.

 

We got off the boat and on land thank God. I didn’t like it as too long too hard as in seats and the old lady drove me mad. I think bless her she was a sandwich short of a picnic. I really do, or a sausage short of a BBQ!

 

Then it was time for an ice cream. There was a choice of one hundred flavours. Teen and I went across the little lane opposite the shop and down onto some decking there were such comfortable sofas. They were made from cane and had thick cushions on them. There were little glass coffee tables with cane legs. It was so peaceful. The ice cream was delicious. I had banana and violet. Yummy. Hub had a coffee. I had a taste of it and it was gorgeous.

 

We heard all the boats going by the air was so pure and I was so happy.

 

Next morning, an early rise off to the bakery to buy French pastries for breakfast. Hub and our flower went to the early morning market. They brought back fresh fruits, French cheese vegetables and fish.

 

We took a taxi to an old part of France. The streets were of cobbled bricks and narrow alleys led us to the most horrendous shop I have ever been in I swear it belonged to a witch. I’m not kidding. Let me explain?

 

Out from the sun into the shop of fear. It went cold. There was an atmosphere. I passed a person at first I didn’t know if it was a man or woman. I’m still not totally convinced. It was meant to be an antique shop. Teen picked up a long poker like thing. He showed me it. As I felt the point at the end, I said to my Son, what on earth is this? The voice from the person replied in a very deep smoky slow voice.

“A goat dagger”

I could have been sick. I wanted to get out of there right then. My Son said there were some very unusual items in the shop. My Husband told me to come to him. I did, he showed me something.

“Fi, give me your hand. Feel this?”

Oh my word. It was awful. Rough like sand paper.

“What on earth is it?” I asked. Hub to my horror replied

“A snake skin” Oh No’o’o

 

There was a stags head too. Why? Why why?

I wanted out of there. The smell was dreadful. My Son and I left and Hub came out. He said that there was a cave down in the cellar.

 Say, wha’at?

 Teen and the girls went for a better look. We waited outside. Hub teased me as they had been away for some minutes. He told me it could be like the children’s story there may be an oven down there she might be cooking the kids. Oh where were they? What had they found?

 

Thank Goodness they came out but they stunk of the shop. They said there was a skeleton down there and loads more awful things. There was a window pane and an old door. Why? Just a door standing there against the wall. Weapons of torture too. Well I was just pleased to see them out of there. The kids told me that the witch was ancient about ninety, but it was her voice and the way she slowly said her words. Oh it still sends a shiver up my spine.

 

We went into another so called antique shop. Well that was crazy. The floor was dug up. I’m not joking. It was as though the builders had been in and not finished their work. Among the old china and so on were holes in the floor and smashed concrete flooring!  Got out of there fast and suddenly had respect for our antique shops in the UK.

 

We then went into a pottery shop. It was lovely. What a sweet guy. He showed Hub and the girls his work shop and told us he could make anything. We didn’t buy sadly. Then to an artist’s shop. The quietly spoken elderly gent painted our eldest daughter. Hub had tears in his eyes. The guitar from a street entertainer was playing beautiful music in the background as our pretty one was being painted on a book she purchased.

 

Then to a pancake café. We ate lunch took coffee and juice that you can only buy in France. It was delightful. The church bells rang and the buildings were apparently beautiful. Green and white with ornate balconies.

 

There was a little water feature and everyone was so peaceful. The girls and I went into a French perfume shop. Oh the smells were amazing. Sweet efflorescent wonders were all around us just what we needed after the witches cave.

 

And time to catch our bus back.

 

We did a BBQ our Flower cooked for us. Teen and the little fairy did the BBQ fresh fish was put on there and we had delicious Mediterranean

  Vegetables!

 

Night time was a game around the table of cards. And a good sleep was in order.

 

Market the next day again for evening dinner. I went to see the lovely goods that could be bought. So much choice. Olives with herbs. Oh the best garlic you could ever buy anywhere. French onions and so much more. Then we went to see what was around the street where we were living for those few days. We came across an old man selling wine Jams and honey. His yard was kitted out to look like a shed. His till was in the middle and wine cases were all around with pots of jam and honey. The flavours of jam were like nothing I have seen before. They were quite expensive whereas the wine was so cheap. And so good. I loved the bucolic backstreets full of offerings. Fragrant flowers formed pathways leading to the unknown. The little paths were so easy for blind people no undulating nonsense going on!

 

This night we went onto the harbour to soak up the atmosphere our Flower lay on the rocks to take photos of the stars. She loves photography. She has a great camera. She can do all sorts with it. She took a spooky picture of people passing the lighthouse but made it look as though they were transparent. How? Not sure special affects I guess. She lay on the ground to capitulate the silver stars and cloud formation. Wow. Just wow. Our Son showed huge interest in photography too. He has a skill     

  

We went back for a midnight swim under nature’s finest blanket of navy nights.

 

Last night walk along the sandy shore sad to be leaving this heavenly place Hub and I fell in love with. Our eldest daughter did us proud with her French. All three kids just made this a special time together. A part of our heart that can never be removed. Packing to go home. All of us packed our own things. Nothing was left so we all did OK Hub and I just keep everything as close together as possible not to lose anything. The long sad journey home, sad because back to work and normal life of not going out but, happy that our children have the love for each other and I was so proud to see them all get on so well. They have a future they are our future and my love and I have some sun in our souls.

 

So, Au revoir to France and Hello to England.

No comments: