translate

Sunday 1 January 2017

DIARY OF THE NEW YEAR BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good evening or should I say good morning Bloggets. It’s after midnight. So, the 2nd of January 2017.

My first blog of the year. Happy New Year.

We got ready to go out on the 31st. Teen dressed in his new clothes. Shamrock came in with a huge bag of drink. They were heading to a party. Hugs and a lecture by Mummy Fi. And on their way hopefully to have a safe night with lots of fun.

We went to our friend’s house and had a gentle welcome into 2017. It was a perfect New Year. Just the four of us. I love that, I hate crowds, when you can’t see, it’s so difficult to hear people as of course we can’t lip read or do body language. The only time I’m Okay with a lot of people is when we are at friends houses and everyone is blind. Then we are all in the same boat. But when we are with sighted people it’s difficult. You end up sitting there like a bore. People think we are really unfriendly and party poopers, but inside our hearts we are crying as we are very obviously different. One thing that blind people try to do is want to be the same as those around us, to be excepted. If we can’t we just try to avoid those situations, I think what makes it different is we don’t really drink. So, if we are not drunk, we stick out even more. If there is loud music playing, we can’t hear a thing and if someone looks at us across the room, we ignore them because we haven’t seen them then they think we are ignorant. Or we can be talking to someone then turn to answer someone else, then turn back to the first person, talk away, to learn when there is no answer, they have moved away. It’s awful. People laugh, why? What has someone done? Do we A, laugh with them but at what? So, we are good actors, or, B, do we keep our faces serious and look even more of a bore? People tell us, join in, don’t be a stick in the mud. Well, what if we don’t want to join in, because what if it’s a game where you need sight? I can tell you, a handful of people and not normally those who are calling us sticks in the mud, don’t want to volunteer helping us to play whatever sighted game they are playing.

So, a chat, some delicious food, a quiz or something where you can use your brain which won’t involve drawing pictures or guessing who the half picture is of. Listening to some music and laughing with genuine people and that is what we did last night.

I had a drink mixed with fruit juice and lemonade to welcome in the night, no pressure to drink loads of alcohol that made me happy. Hub had a few, four, not that I was counting…. Not that I coughed when he was asked if he wanted anymore?
Would I?
Yes, I blooming would, he gets so silly when he is drunk I can’t stand it. Yes, I’m a prood. Haha. I don’t mind tipsy, mind you the three times I have been drunk on no more than three glasses of wine since Hub and I got together, I got into so much trouble, not only from Hub but Teen, hahaha. So, four? Cough? Too blooming right. Teen is following my footsteps thank goodness. He is very into his fitness so he had a few glasses of something last night and that was him done. S Shamrock on the other hand? She came on New Year’s Day, worse for her night before… She is Irish, what more can I say. Smile. She is so tiny too, I don’t know how she can drink more than a glass? My size and I am done after three.
Sips.
So, no head aches and no feeling sick in our house on the 1st.

Teen and Shamrock went to the beach, as you do in the dark, in the deepest of winter. But they came home and sat at our table and ate their way through the food I put out on New Year’s Eve.

It is my tradition that I never cook or clean on New Year’s Day. I wiped down kitchen units up apart from that, food was there for all.

There were loads of sandwiches. Lots of mini Pizza’s. Duck spring rolls with plum sauce. Veg spring rolls. Sausage rolls. Lots of cheese and different kinds of crackers, celery and chutneys. Mini samosas and onion bhaaji’s and a cake plate as well as a tub of different kinds of cakes and crisps, nuts, olives and more.

It’s after midnight, there are two bread rolls left with egg mayonnaise and some cheese left. So, a lot has been consumed which is how it should be. I have a joint of Pork crackling to cook for tomorrow and I will do it with some roast potatoes and sweet corn. Teen working most of the day bless him. He has had three days off in 32 days, and one of his colleagues who is part time, only works two days per week, had the cheek to ask him if he will do her shift next week, on his day off. He answered very kindly, nope.

Hub still off work, great, we have another week together. Love it. Tomorrow we are taking down the tree and all the decs, well, I say tomorrow, it’s actually a little later, so I guess I should go to bed? It took me eight hours to put up my tree and indoor decorations, how long to take it all down? I have to try to keep some kind of order because I want next year to be as easy as possible, I need to try somehow, to put all the white baubles in one box and blue in the other. With my white tree in the dining room, I have gold and red decorations on that, as well as red tinsel. So, must keep all of that especially the red tinsel from the blue tinsel. Then there is my garland on the mantel piece and must remember the cuddly Christmas mouse sitting on Hubs piano in the corner of our lounge. Oh, heck, then I have two bottles, no, not vodka, but those bottles that light up and inside there is a candle which flickers, it’s not real, but fake and there is a reindeer in one bottle and snowflakes in the other. Every year, there is always something I forget.

Oh, gosh, the lights on the window, it’s a wire and blue lights flash through the wire. Then there is outside. Gosh it’s going to be a busy day.

Another year has passed. Hub said it has been the best New Year so far for us, as normally we are with friends or neighbours and there are loads of us, but this year was so nice. And we will catch up with our neighbours later on. I did receive texts from them, bless them. I hope your New year started off well and will continue. Until later with love. X


No comments: