translate

Tuesday 24 January 2017

DIARY OF POSITIVE WORDS BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good morning Bloggets. Wow, the noise outside is dreadful. It’s really like living on a building site next to a motorway. Hub went out last night in our garden and said we need to move. Again? I asked. He said it’s killing us living here. He is of course right, but I don’t think I can stand the move again. I know as a team Hub and I can do it. Packing and everything, just the learning again of new routes, getting to know people all over again. If I were granted sight, I could move tomorrow. When you can’t see, you don’t have that luxury. It took about a week to learn the routes around here for me and so much longer to learn what tradesmen we could trust and that is after finding them. I wonder how many people look out of their windows, whether it be car or house, even office windows whilst working and see a van advertising their professions? I just have to spend ages on the internet or phone and when you don’t know anyone where you live, it’s not word of mouth, it’s buy and hope and we bought when we moved here and were stung for sure, apart from our painter who has gone off the boil now and our original electrician who was great, but his company got too big to do individual houses like us they only do companies now. So luckily, we found a great joiner who recommended an electrician who I must say is fabulous, but so expensive, but again, beggars can’t be choosers and at least we get a good job done.

Having said that, the little cottage in the country sounds lovely. To be able to breathe fresh air. Trouble is, our Son is a town kind of guy. He loves the bright lights of the city. He’s very fortunate though, thank God. He can see so he drives to where he wants to be. He can be at the seaside in an hour or countryside in half an hour. We see the sea once a year if we go on holiday. Countryside? Never.

We received our mortgage statement again in print yesterday. So, annoying for eight years now, we have been trying to get it in Braille. We have been to the branch so many times, filled in forms, made phone calls an yet, still it comes in print. More time on the phone today to once again request it in Braille. But this time, one thinks one should mention the word, Ombudsman.

Hub isn’t well at all right now. He has a really bad cold. His throat is killing him. And last night? Oh, my I really don’t know what happened, but I was walking around the house absolutely fine, then suddenly, I took a breath in, and wow, the pain? Right through my heart, stomach and back. It lasted all night and there are still signs of pain now, like I have broken my ribs, my ribs were broken some years ago, about fifteen and I never did anything about it so I do suffer with that but I have never had anything quite like this pain. Hub thought I was having a heart attack. I am getting too many pains in my chest of late and today I learned thanks to our talking scales, I have put on 5lbs this week. Today I am going to have a no bread day. I made a curry yesterday, it was very healthy. It was absolutely gross. Oddly, Teen loved it. He had two dishes of it. Hub ate his but his comments were not positive, and I just chucked mine in the bin. Leaving me to turn to faithful bread again. I eat too much of it and if I have a day where I only have two slices, I feel so much better, so it’s my fault. So, it’s cruising towards mid day and I have not had breakfast, my toast, so what have I had to eat? Nothing. See? I’m a total hopeless case.

My dog is driving me crazy with her noisiest toy. It’s amazing. It’s done our dogs first darling little Black Beauty, then Long Chops as well as BB, then Wagga and of course the Little Fella. Still squeaking. Sadly. Looking brand new.

Teen started work today at half six. Still hasn’t been home for lunch. Shamrock came around last night and she starts work at seven but walks to work so leaves her house just after six. In the dark, cold it must be an incentive to pass her driving test? She has had two lessons so far. It’s really scary, she is on the roads and has only driven twice. Hub and I were talking about drivers yesterday when we were discussing pollution. As you do. We said there is far too many drivers on the roads. Most of them shouldn’t be driving. There is one man Teen told me about who has a personality disorder. He goes to Teens gym. Oh my, the stories? It’s quite scary. I’m talking someone who throws his head back and forward laughing out of control. Then just takes it upon himself to run around the gym laughing and throwing weights around.
He has a car. A very nice car. How can someone like this drive and be responsible? Teen said he never talks sense. How do they pass? I know of another who drives a school bus and he is a lovely man, but cannot calculate, if you have maths blindness, how do you think ahead? How do you calculate distance? Even work out speeds. When it comes to numbers, he is clueless.

I also know of someone in her seventies who is scared stiff to drive where there are a lot of cars. She totally freaks out. She admits her sight isn’t what it used to be. Then there are people who just come over from other countries. Who don’t speak at all our tongue. How do they read and understand our signposts? Read our rules?

And then you have children driving. Now if our Son didn’t drive from the age of seventeen, he would have got a lift from his friends. Hmm. Not sure who was worse as in driving, Teen wonder, or his pals who loved to speed. Thankfully now Hub and I were saying the other day, his driving is brilliant. He is so confident and so much safer, but he had to go through the dangerous stage and if he were 21 when he passed his driving test, he would be more mature. But, he was able to be a supervisor for a year because of his ability to drive. As the place, he worked at was one hour away.

Our city has a road that has the most polluted street outside of London. This is very scary. Green lands are getting removed to be replaced by concrete. Too many people are coming into the country. For sure too many drivers.

For those who read my blogs who are learning English, I received some emails requesting a section on positive words. Here we go. What is your favourite positive word? I love the word
Abundant.
Meaning plentiful. Available in large quantities.
Appealing
Meaning attractive or interesting.
Competent
Meaning having the skill or ability to do something successfully.
Flourishing
Meaning developing rapidly
Judicious
Meaning having good sense.
Luminous
Meaning giving off light. To shine.
Miraculous
Meaning having the power to work miracles.
Resolute
Admirably determined and unwavering
And I wish for you to have a
Serene day. Meaning calm, peaceful and tranquil.




No comments: