translate

Thursday 18 December 2014

THE ANGEL ON THE TREE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


THE ANGEL ON THE TREE

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

As I light the candle to show you the way

I want to tell you I miss you more each day

As the flame flickers in the darkness

These words I must confess

Gifts under the tree

Meant nothing to me

Without you by my side

Each needle on the branches

Represent tears I have cried

As I look out side

Icicles hang

 And robins hide

I wish we could hear again

How the choirs sang

 On our last Christmas together

You sent me an angel’s feather

To which I hold close to my heart

Constantly questioning

Why we had to part

I can’t tell you the pain I feel

As you were my world

You were next to my red my gold

Love to hold

Stories you told

The way you made me laugh with your words

But now you are free to fly

With all the birds

I hope you never die

And leave your soul a shell

For I know my life without you is hell

So they ring the Christmas bell

It’s just a sound to me

Till you come back I can’t be happy

Though I still go through the motions

And mix the seasonal potions

On top of the tree she looks at me

And in her eyes I see

In some way each year you come back to me

Even just for a while

I see you in her smile

I get comfort from knowing you’ll never totally leave

For you have seen me grieve

So now I feel your presence

And see the amber flame

I can wrap some presents

Though I will never feel the same

I can be reassured

 My pain is treated though not cured

But I know something is beyond this life

And we will meet again

I just don’t know when

But when it’s my turn

My children will light the candle to burn

And they too will learn

That I will never totally leave them

But shall watch over their night and day

And we will meet again

For love never goes away

 

 

COPYRIGHT FIONA CUMMINGS 2014

No comments: