translate

Thursday 18 December 2014

A VERY SPECIAL SNOWMAN BY FIONA CUMMINGS


A VERY SPECIAL SNOWMAN

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

 

I stand here each year

I love to hear them cheer

They place a hat upon my head

And give me a scarf so red

Then they laugh as I look like a parrot

As I wear my nose a big orange carrot

It’s like a beak

If only I could speak

But my mouth is just a carving

I have a big round tummy

They think that is funny

I don’t look as though I’m starving

That’s for sure

And my body is white so pure

I stand so proud

As gathering are the crowds

They poke me

And give me coal to see

Each year they come back to me

Same old faces and voices

Same hat and scarf

I’m without choices

I can see through their window

A fire a glow

If only I could sit near the hearth

But then I would melt too early

Rather than standing here so burly

Candles flicker

The colour of amber

The people collect logs

And carry ferns

For the fragrance is beautiful

As it burns

Lists are written

Children all warm in mittens

Puppies are given

And new born kittens

Chimney smoke keeps rising

Nothing new or surprising

But I have seen wonders

And believe me blunders

I’ve heard everything

Choirs they sing

Church bells ring

Lonely people pass

On the slippy paths

They think I can’t see them

Or hear them

But I can

As I am a very special, snowman

 

Copyright Fiona Cummings 2014

No comments: