translate

Monday 1 December 2014

MY PAL BY FIONA CUMMINGS


MY PAL

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

 

 On a hillside far away

There was a cottage garden where we used to play

We’d pick rhubarb and dip it in sugar

How those days were so good when we were younger

We would take a blanket

And eat our food

Tasted so good

On plastic plates

With matching cups

And dance around the buttercups

At the bottom of the garden

We would look for fairies hiding

Then saddle up old Jack

And go horse riding

Make a wish in the wishing well

And pick pretty blue bells

Our faces would be red

With the strawberries we were fed

How happy we were back then

For breakfast eggs from the hen

And toast cut into soldiers

But we had to grow up

Now we are older

The cottage long gone

Memories of way back then

Camp fires and a song

A tent made from your Grandma’s sheet

Oh I wish we could again meet

But where are you now

Where to find you

I wouldn’t know how?

I just hope you read my words

And again we can listen to the birds

Feel the sun, upon our faces

 Talk about what we have done, where we have visited

What places?

Our hands may shake now

And we may look older

We may have to lean on each other’s shoulder

Perhaps we will feel colder

But find warmth in days gone by

And enjoy a future

I would like to try?

So if you’re out there

And you still care

I’m your pal from way back

With the pony Jack

I hope you will remember me

As you I never forgot

High on a hill

Was our meeting spot

I wonder if the apple tree is still there

Remember we would cut one open and share?

A plum and a pear

A pinch and a punch

On that pick nick blanket we would have lunch

So now if we planned a meeting

It would be a table we would get

As my bones are now squeaking

 If I got down on the ground

I wouldn’t get back up

 My hair is salt and pepper

With trembling fingers I write

Pen to paper

With limited sight

Hoping you will find the time

To once again be a pal of mine

 

Copy right Fiona cummings 2014

No comments: