translate

Wednesday 1 August 2018

BLIND GRANDPARENTS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


A quick blog, it’s beautiful again here today. I went for a walk to a park. My guide dog will not guide when it’s a fun place. Last week when we went to the forest, LF guided Hub perfectly. But my Waggatail see’s a park and that is that. So, we found a seat sat down and took in the world. The different smells. The sounds the air and so on. We passed a Japanese wooden building. I would love a Japanese garden. If I was staying in this house forever, I would do that it is such a clean and pretty space to have. I love Japanese trees too. I do think back when Hub took Boy Wonder to Japan. I kind of wished I had gone. It was for two weeks and our Son says it was the best holiday of his life. I must say, it sounded so lovely and very interesting. Hub was working out there and our boy went with him. Whilst Hub was at work, BW went out with one of Hubs colleagues to visit the tourist places. I stayed at home and looked after our two dogs. Who knows, one day I may get there, but I’m not sure of the journey as it’s so far away.

 

The park was packed. It was interesting as most children were with their Grandparents. Thank God for Grandparents. Or what would happen as now days most Mums work whereas when I was little, most Dads worked and Mums stayed with children.

 

I hope when I have Grandchildren, Hub and I will be able to take our Grand children to places, this is so difficult for Grand parents who are blind. We can’t just go to petting farms with the little ones. We can go places when they are older, but not 2, 3 and 4. When they are older, they are not going to run off for one thing…

Also, it’s really difficult to know where we are going and more difficult to put our children on attractions for example, take them on a rowing boat. Even take them swimming. So, I do feel for Grandparents who are blind. In our case when our Son has a baby, Hub and I will have loads of love for our babies, be able to play with them in the house, even turn our garden into some kind of play park. Paddling pool sand pit and so on. We will be able to take them on a train or on a bus somewhere, but to big parks and other places where children will enjoy, that is a different story, or even on the beach. If you can’t see, the beach is a daunting place to walk on. It’s vast and full of people laying down. Haha, our dogs won’t work on the sands either.

 

Someone has asked me what to do when she has her baby, she is blind and doesn’t know how she will get from A, to B. Though she has a white cane and is confident with it, I told her you can get something to carry the babies in an put it on your back or front. Or pull a pushchair. We can’t push them as we don’t know what is in front of us. So, we hold the white cane/guide dog with one hand and the other hand pull the pushchair/pram. It’s not at all easy I am sure but there’s no other choice.

 

Did you hear about the thieves who stole the Swedish crown jewels, then they took off on a speedboat? And, they were stolen from a Cathedral. Shocking.

 And no, it’s not a joke. It’s true.

 

NASA has discovered that on Mars, there isn’t enough carbon dioxide to sustain human life

So, NASA, care for this planet and stop looking for another to spoil.

 

OK, I shall go for now, but before I go, some words.

“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: