translate

Tuesday 21 August 2018

TUESDAY'S DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good day Bloggets. Firstly, my heart goes out to India with all the floods and deaths. When I watch the news, my heart aches for those affected by what has gone on out there. Especially when I saw the poor man who has lost his wife and children, in fact, 9 members of his family. I know in a previous blog I have touched on this but still I have thoughts for you all who are or have been hurt in such a tragedy. And bags of rice being handed out. My first thought was how are you guys going to cook it? Everything has gone. I hope if you are reading this and you have been affected by the disaster, you now are at least in a safe place but for those without houses still, handing out rice to be cooked, I’m not sure how that is going to work.

 

Last night on the news, a man was talking so upset as the birds sang the most beautiful song. I thought, fly free sweet creature, but what will you eat? If our birds are not dying with the drought, they are starved because the floods have damaged their crops.. But for a short time, they are free in the sky and I pray our skies will be kept free from any further technology like drones. I pray that things like drones are a fashion and will speedily go on their way back to the factory bin, as our sky should be left to creatures with wings!

 

My Son came home at 6 this morning I think to pick up his wallet. Took his gf to the train station. Bought her breakfast. Though she was travelling first class and would be fed breakfast, he of course didn’t eat but after seeing her off on her train to London, he came back to the gym and did a couple of hours work out. She is on some course to learn to put make up on, or at least sell it. I’m sure she will love her time away. This is her first time in the capital. She is staying overnight. Only one night. BW came home made his breakfast and went to sleep well I think he’s sleeping. He’s back at work tomorrow and I bet he’s in early. The first time he could have a good lay in as he’s home tonight, and I bet he will have to get up at 4.15 am. I hope I’m wrong and he’s in later.

 

Hub and the Little Fella, are off to or are at by now, Manchester. Hub has a meeting and then he is going to see LF’s puppy walker. This will be the first time Hub has met both the lady and gent. And it’s been three years since LF saw them both. In fact, it may be longer. Will he remember them? I really hope so. I shall let you know tomorrow.

 

I have told you before if you are an old reader, as in been here since the start, not old in age… Waggatail is my second guide dog and Black Beauty aka Hannah, was my first. Hannah came to me when I lived in two houses ago in a totally different area. But oddly, she came from where I live now. quite a distance to where I used to live. Hannah was her puppy walkers first guide dog pup and when I got the Wagging one, I couldn’t believe it. She came from this area, so, the same as Hannah came from though I had moved areas, my two dogs came from the same place, not only that, but the same house and puppy walkers. And, Hannah was their first dog, Waggatail their last. They had ten all together. Hannah was a small black Labrador as is Waggs. Both girls. Now whether the couple only took on black bitches, I don’t know. But what are the chances of that happening? Especially my first dog being their first, and I do wonder if Waggatail will be my, last, as she was theirs! I really hope I get another dog, as advances in medicine hasn’t made it possible for me to dream of vision before it’s time to hang up my dogs’ harness, but changes in Guide Dogs UK, mean I doubt I will qualify. I mean, Okay, I’m blind and my Husband is too, but hey ho! Such is life and such are changes in the real world. I only hope our changes don’t follow you to your country.

 

It’s funny I know of so many people who have enough vision to get about without even a cane, an yet they have a dog and they will qualify for another. An yet totally blind, I probably won’t. why? Because I am a low user…. Yep, I know, I sound like a druggy. The work I do is short as the shops and so on I go to are so close. Within fifteen minutes of my house. And they want us to show we can do so much more than that. To be honest, I would love to but because I have that label of low user, I have been given guide dogs that can cope with not much… it’s no good giving me a super dog who can do trains every day and city life working from office to office. If they did, my dog would be so bored as I don’t do all that. But I do go to the shops, restaurant Doctors dentist an chemist and of late, we have been doing things like forest and beach walks, but still all that is going to matter is how long, not so how important just to exist. So, I fear our future in the UK as a guide dog owner, will be only for what I call super blindies. Action men and women.

 

I hope in three years when my Waggatail has retired, I’m telling you differently and I have a dog, I have lost my awful label of low user and what would also be nice would be if as blind people, we could be stopped being called “Vulnerable”” people. Seriously, I know of people who are ten times more vulnerable than me and they are all working fine, all their parts are good to go. Except spend a little time with them and one learns differently. Actually, they are not as quotes normal as what they first appear on the outside. Because we have something that is obvious, we have to carry labels around with us.

 

I know of someone who cares for vulnerable… people, they are severely disabled as in can’t wash themselves for example or dress themselves. Well this carer, has major heart problems and is a diabetic whereby she depends on insulin. She can’t walk far as she is overweight. But, she doesn’t have the label of vulnerable. Yes, she has heart troubles and so on, and I have problems with my eyes, but I am not blooming vulnerable. Hahaha. OK, rant over.

 

I told you my friend came yesterday with her little girl. Well this child is only three. All the way here my friend told the child that my eyes were poorly… so, when they arrived, the little girl was staring at me. My friend wondered why the child was looking at me in such a way? Then the child said…

“You said that Fiona had poorly eyes. But, she has got eyes.””

Hahaha. I love children.

 

I have written before about a talk I gave to a school when at the end we have question time… my favourite part. Enough already of my voice. The hand went up as my colleague told me suddenly a voice from a little boy spoke.

“When you are driving your car…. how do you know when to stop?””

Oh, I have told you this so many times, but it still makes me chuckle. I just replied. Well if I was to drive, it would be very dangerous. Why would it not be safe for me to drive Billy?

There’s always a Billy, and Billy will be guaranteed to be the one to ask the question.

He didn’t answer but another child did. Because you can’t see… that’s correct, I don’t see out of my eyes, so if I were to drive, I wouldn’t see where I was going…. I think we expect too much from their young minds but we can only hope a tiny part of what we are trying to get across, goes in their memories for our future.

 

I absolutely loved giving talks to children. I felt as if I was helping to make a difference to someone in the near future and I did see it a few times, but once I spoke to girl guides as there was a girl who was blind and having a hard time at school, so hopefully after I spoke with them they would treat her better. But then some weeks later, I spoke with some boy cubs and they told me of a blind girl in their school. It was the same area so I just asked what her name was? They told me and I knew it was the same girl who was having a hard time with kids. So, I asked them if they ever spoke to her? They of course replied no. I asked why? The silence told me everything I needed to know to carry on. By the end of the talk, I know there were at least two boys who would have gone into school the next day and went up to the girl and spoke to her. What a difference that would make to her day. And how she would want to get out of bed the next day. It’s so simple, we want to be a part of your life, not left out.

 

Since then, I have spoken to the girls Mum and she is doing so well. Children are open books, it’s up to us if we chose to read them or close the pages forever.

 

I did my Yoga today with my lady. I feel so much better. I’m not going to see her for seven weeks now. I have loads of home work to do. But I have to have it all on Dictaphone as I would forget everything.

 

She tried to get me to chant today. Sorry, it wasn’t happening. I’m not a chanter… for those who are, total respect, but if I was to do that, it would have the opposite effect to what it was meant to do for me.

 

OK, I’m going to pop to the shop we need some bread rolls and then chill some more. All of my housework for the day is done. I have been up since half six this morning. So, I’m now starting to feel really tired as didn’t get to sleep until almost 2 am. I woke up about three times in between. When I got up Hub said he was going to as well.  I said why? He wasn’t leaving until nine this morning. He replied I have to work. I replied get some more sleep and work in transit. He had a two-hour journey. He said he was awake and wouldn’t be able to get to sleep again… he’s working so hard weekends and nights. I left him, telling him off… I waited to hear him showering. Nothing. So, I emptied the dishwasher and took the dogs to pollute. I emptied the bins and made some breakfast. I went up at eight and he was fast asleep. So, I had to wake him. He was shocked he had gone back to sleep. I said I told you, your body is tired and needs to rest. Four hours in transit is a long day. So, by the time he gets home, that will be what he has done today and he is doing the same but a different place on Thursday. At least he travels with his colleague now. so, no stress on getting places as she can see.

 

Finally, in our news today.

A businessman from Britain was killed in a plane crash in Sydney has left his fortune of 41, million to Oxfam.

Oh, don’t even get me started on that one.  

Prostrate treatment cures without surgery.

Really? Wow, I hope so and I hope it’s not just a headliner to get us to read more. I didn’t read more but you can on the link below. If there is a cure for this awful disease, I will be so happy for all you guys out there. My Dad died of prostrate cancer twenty years ago, and it was so very sad to watch him go like that.

 

Staff in open plan offices are fitter and less stressed also they work harder… I guess they talk harder too? May be that is their exercise, talking, all those jaw muscles working. Haha. I must say, I like open plan offices they just feel bigger and it must be awful surrounded by four walls keeping you trapped. More air flow I would imagine in larger offices.

 

OK, I have just had a conversation with the one and only Boy Wonder. He rose from his den. I doubt he got any sleep he wasn’t up there long enough. He’s off to the gym for the second time today. So, my writing was interrupted we were talking about the state of the country and he was asking why he has to pay tax. Haha. Well we covered everything and then spoke about religion and finally Homosexuality. I think my Son misses his intelegent conversations. Sadly he doesn’t get them now days. I guess because he’s home today, means there will be some talks around the dinner table.

Okay. On that note, I shall carry on with my day… here is the link to the news headlines I was reading.

 

 

 


 

No comments: