translate

Saturday 18 August 2018

PARENTS SENDING THEM AWAY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


 Good evening Bloggets. It’s close to the pumpkin hour and after a long discussion with Hub about our past, I’m not in the frame to go to bed. My head isn’t in a good place. Boarding school has a lot to answer for. My first school was just very Victorian with a very different head master. One cruel horrid housemother for the want of a better title. And cold nights away from home. But my second school was on a totally different level.

 

After reading words from some of my class mates a few weeks ago, I can’t stop thinking of their words. And that was the topic of conversation tonight with Hub!

 

Collectively we have decided that most boarding schools have workers in them that should never be allowed to be near children. Whether that be for blind kids, or sighted. A school not too far from us has been in the news for sexual offences dating back decades. And the school says there are still investigations to be done into staff that are still working there. That particular school is known to be a quote, very posh school where it costs about £35,000 $44,500 per year to send your child there.

 

I know of staff from my boarding school who are still alive. Two of the most dangerous of all. It sickens me to think of what they have done to school pupils and are comfortable in their old age whilst leaving some with lifechanging pain.

 

One of the horrid housemothers from our first school Hub and I met some years ago at a school reunion. Who once was an overpowering tall very overweight woman who we feared, was now a little bent backed pathetic person who in her half laugh, I could tell was still mean, but who now we could have the last say. And Hub did. Part of me wishes I could be face to face with those two from my last boarding school. Just before they go to where it’s forever hot, I would like to send them on their way with words with a message. A message that will stay with them forever. But I doubt that will happen and they will continue to live this life and go onto the next one escaping all their sins. But when they get to the next land, they will realise they haven’t got away with anything.

 

My Son was in his gym some weeks ago and he was horrified to hear a family talking at reception. Mum, Dad and two tiny girls. BW thought they looked six and seven max. Receptionist. “Will you be signing up for all four of you?”” Father. “No, just me and my wife. My children are off to boarding school. We will be coming here every day.””

Well BW came home. “Mum, if they have time to go to the gym every day, why have they not got time to look after their children?”” and I have to agree. In fact, if you want children, then care for them. OK, if you have a child with huge needs and you need help I understand, but that is the only way I feel a child should go to boarding school unless they are much older like 13 and they come home every weekend. Some kids are away for six weeks at a time. Poor Hub was away that long as a child when he was 12 and up. Luckily his school was a really great school but still there were a lot of staff who shouldn’t have been there. I have written before about when Hub went camping and a teacher poured boiling water over a lad’s arms. Making him keep them still whilst he did so.  He was telling me last night of three teachers in the time he was there who were arrested. For crimes that are unforgivable

 

 Some of the boys at our schools were beaten up in the showers. I said to Hub I knew of two boys at our school where that happened to and Hub knew of one I asked him why the showers? He said don’t ask or even think about that answer.

 

We had visits annually from the Dr. Only he wasn’t a Doctor. But the odd thing was, at my school, the teachers were all so lovely. It was the nights and weekends that were a problem. And a huge problem at that.

 

So, a heavy heart and deep sad thoughts but tomorrow is another day. We can let our past eat us up or bite back. If we get the chance to do so. If not, we just live through the past and hope for the future.

   

Love your children because what happens to them now, will totally affect the rest of their lives.

 

 

 

  

No comments: