translate

Thursday 9 August 2018

I DON'T WANT TO DANCE IN THE DARK BY FIONA CUMMINGS


I DON’T WANT TO DANCE IN THE DARK

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Pulling on my heartstrings

As a violin is playing

The blackbird sings

I can’t believe the words you’re saying

When the bow breaks

My stomach aches

The tune turns into sounds of a wake

Suffering notes

So cold though wrapped in many coats

Grief suffocates me like a heavy cloak

Coughing among the smoke

I can’t see in front of me

There’s no longer a forever

Not even a tomorrow

I’m dying in sorrow

A dark mist

An iron fist

The gun that will shoot

Kicked by a steal toe cap boot

The people who will lute

The trees that burn down

A hole in the ground

I’m being sucked beneath the earth

As fresh soil covers me

But doesn’t kill me

So I remain there laying

Praying

Staying down in the damp ground

Hand to my ears

Trying to ignore my fears

Not wanting to hear the voices

Choices

All suggestions are evil

No one to talk with

No loving hand

Not one person who will understand

Inside of me is Satan

How to fight it

Him, whatever it may be

It’s inside of me

And before this

I felt a kiss

From an angel

But now I dance to the tune of the devil

 

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

No comments: