translate

Sunday 26 August 2018

YORK MINSTER BY FIONA CUMMINGS


We in England, are proud of our history, but there comes a time when it really does in my opinion, become ridiculous. Let me tell you what I am talking about. The grand organ of York Minster has over 5,600 pipe parts. It’s enormous. Parts of it date back to the 1830s and had its last major overhaul in 1903 and had modifications in the 1960s which weren’t beneficial and is now going to be removed part by part by a company called Harrison & Harrison based in Durham, one of the few organ producers left and it will cost the most obscene amount of money at over, £2,000000, that’s over, $2,500,000

 

Now I understand the importance of having such a masterpiece in what is a magnificent Cathedral, but I also understand that there are people starving, people who can’t get treatment. People who are stuck in their houses unable to get out because the charity who used to pick them up once a week now have no funding. I also understand that we are making cuts in our Police force and fire fighters and that people who are blind have to rely on their guide dogs coming from a charity which get no Government money and hospital wards being closed all the time.

 

 For the next two years the Cathedral will make do with an electric organ. I really don’t know how that will look or sound in such an ancient building which is so very vast, out of place I would guess, I also understand that our religion has to remain important or we will lose it. But personally, I wish there was an alternative to such an amount of money.

 

 York Minster is the largest medieval Cathedral in all of Northern Europe! If you can see, here is a link to some pictures where you will learn just how beautiful this place is.


  

No comments: